Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Oil? Oil? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/oil-oil-1311/)

93xj6 04-01-2007 02:18 AM

Oil? Oil?

Well I'm fairly new to driving, and mechanics and what not. I know the various advantages of synthetic oil, but do any of you actually use this in your xj6/xj40s. I don't need the oil changed any time soon, but I was hoping maybe that could increase my fuel consumption.

I was getting liek 13/gallon, but it went up to close to 15 after an italian tune up, and I was hoping maybe with synthetic I would get the factory tested 17 mpg city, which is the only place I drive.

Im guessing 2 mpg more is a bit much to be asking, but I have never actually gotten synthetic oil.

bigdreams05 04-01-2007 11:44 AM

RE: Oil? Oil?

No, you went get better mileage. If you want better economy, remove your catalytic converter and get a KnN air filter.

93xj6 04-01-2007 11:54 AM

Allrite thanks for the advice man. Another forum recomended not gettin synthetic so I won't.

Problem with the K &N filter is that they never seem to have them at the pep boys I go to, and last time we tried to check the air filter on the car it took us nearly an hour to figure out how to get the air intake back into place, it's really difficult on the 93. We thought we were gunna need to get it towed to like a jag dealer because it was nearly impossible.

I could probably buy the filter and then have them put it in at a jiffy lube, is there a good website for buying filters?

Jose 04-01-2007 03:14 PM

every Jaguar mechanic I know has always told me to not use synthetic oil, only Castrol 20W50.
The K & N air filter I have in my 1984 XJ-6 was "special ordered", they never keep them in stock.
Installing an air filter should not be that difficult. If you invest in a CD Service Manual (about $25. at the Jaguar dealer) it will show you how.

bigdreams05 04-01-2007 04:43 PM

It shouldn't take more than 5 mins to change the air filter on any car, if it does then something is wrong!!!!!

93xj6 04-01-2007 11:04 PM

It ain't that something is wrong it's that 93's have a very inconvinent intake system. For one thing the air filter itself is rectangular and not round, so the caseing in it is very large, and also the intake itself angles into the bumper wierdly, which was the hard part to get back in.

Jose 04-02-2007 09:45 AM

the air intake system in my '84 XJ-6 is not easy either, not a 5 minute job for sure. Not to mention that whenever you change an Air filter, you should clean the filter canister and any hoses, etc., to start out fresh.
fortunately, with a K & N filter, you will only do that once and forget about it for years.....I understand that K & N now has Oil filters too, so I plan to use them as soon as they make them available for my model.

chelle26 07-26-2007 08:59 PM

"is there a good website for buying filters?" ....
there is an err going wrong with my
1990 jaguarXJ6/40... mechanic has told me i needed an
air filter canada replacements.. my fuel consumption was low and i was trying to make it better. putting air filters manually requires you to have manuals, like bentley manual VB02 on my uncles car..

Jose 07-27-2007 08:57 AM

yes, go to K&N.com and buy directly from them. Or call your local AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts and get it ordered. Canadian filters? Never heard of that. Filters are filters are filters. unless you buy the K & N filters.