Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Original in car phone system ? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/original-car-phone-system-120344/)

jon_pulse 06-21-2014 05:20 PM

Original in car phone system ?

Does anyone know where I can source an original in car phone ?
I have the main box in the boot but need the handset and wiring.

Thanks for your help

JagCad 06-22-2014 08:03 AM

Might not do any good, even if you find them. My 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee has vestiges of one. box/s under one seat and a microphone above the visor on the driver side, as well as the little aerial ion a back window. All that seems missing is the hand set and cradle that was on the console. evidence of it's presence at one time is barely visible.

With the onset of cell phones, the tech has evolved. So, I doubt that your wireless services hand handle it.

They were kinda neat. My 88 Tbird had one. Air time was very expensive, though!!!

Carl

Sarc 06-24-2014 04:38 AM

Try Ebay

I recently bought a genuine 80s car telephone aerial for my car as it did have a phone in it at some point and I still had the antenna base in the middle of the trunk lid.

My car had the phone handset in the armrest in the back (My car is a VDP and has the split rear seats)

As said, you may not get it to actually work anymore, but it would be nice if you could get it ti at least light up. I'm slowly trying to find one for my car also......

JagCad 06-24-2014 09:09 AM

In the rear seat, wow!!! A chaeufer (sp) driven car, huh???

so, if you get one and get it on the air, you'll have to hire one!!!

Carl

Calhale 06-24-2014 09:45 AM

There is hope! If you cannot use the original, try generating a passable emulation!

For the Iphone types:

or as a bluetooth (and real phone in the EU) headset for your 'Droid/IPhone: Home - The Brick

jon_pulse 06-27-2014 06:02 AM

The phone that was originally installed din my car was a Samsung wireless. You would charge it in the boot and then take it out when you required.

I am still hunting for the original as it would like nice to display with the car but im not really looking to get it back up and running.

Thanks again for your help.

jon_pulse 06-27-2014 01:37 PM

Phone pics

10 Attachment(s)
Hi
I have managed to dig out the original user guide for the phone.
Please see attachments. The Manuel doesn't actually state which models are shown.
anyone know?

thanks

Fraser Mitchell 06-27-2014 03:38 PM

It is unlikely to work in term of making calls as all the 1980s analogue cell phone infrastructure has long gone, at least it has here in the UK. It was all changed to digital GSM many years ago. US will be similar, although probably not GSM, the US use a different standard.

Of course you may be able to hide modern electronics in the old boxes.