Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pin striping

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 03:50 PM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Pin striping

Hi all,
Did Jags/ Daimlers come standard with pin striping? (Australian delivered 1978 Double Six)
I watched the video of the XJC by Jay Leno. It is noted that the pin striping on that car was added on, not standard.
My Daimler also has very discreet pin striping ( red and black line on metallic silver paint).
The car is so standard that I assumed the pin striping was standard from the factory.
Did these cars come with pin striping?

As an aside I'm also amused ( not offended ) by our American friends pronunciation of Jaguar, what ever happened to the letter 'U' ?
Al

Old 02-07-2018, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

yes, in the states we say "Jag oo r". Just like the Aztecs and Mayans did 5 hundred years ago?

also, I think the pinstripes were an American-distributor thing, just like the waist moldings which were not at the waist.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:06 PM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Jose,
yes, after mentioning the pronunciation of Jaguar I actually looked it up and I see that Americans do not pronounce the 'U'. Here in Oz we say Jag- u-ar, three distinct syllables. I was under the impression that your pronunciation wa s simply colloquial contraction of the word but I see now it is your actually correct way of saying it, a bit like your alumina not aluminium only without varying the spelling.
Australian English or 'stine' as it would be is pronounced is a lazy contraction of the language but it is not 'official' so to speak, even if Crocodile Dundee did talk that way. If asked to slow our speech down and 'talk proper' our pronunciation if not accent would be the same as the English.
i see that the word Jaguar is derived from Portugese from earlier Meso Indian language before becoming English. As Jaguar is an American cat ( I don't know if any still remain in the wild in North America) I guess that doubly gives you the right to pronounce it as you like.
yours in humour
al

The following users liked this post:
olivermarks (02-13-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

[QUOTE=Alan Lindsay;1839031][left]Hi all,

Did these cars come with pin stripingQUOTE]

Yes, these cars came from the factory with coach lines (aka pinstriping) already applied; it was not done by the dealers.
The coach lines were single lines for the Series I and II cars and for the early Series III XJ6 to 1982. Thereafter the 4.2 litre cars and the 5.3 litre cars both had double lines in a variety of colours (linguistic aside: you will note that, as a Canadian, I spell that word correctly. Canadians also know that the last letter of the alphabet is ZED). The information about the coachlines can be confirmed by advertisements from the respective Series years. The Daimlers also had a nice chrome flashing with the coachlines.

The following users liked this post:
Alan Lindsay (02-07-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 07:04 AM
Received 176 Likes on 119 Posts

The chrome flashing in Jaguar speak is known as a swage line.

It was a cost option on cars ordered ex factory, so not very common.

It was a no cost option on VDP's, though I don't know if this is true for American market cars.

This line ran from stern to bow just above the painted coachline (pin stripe).

Old 02-08-2018, 10:50 AM
Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

For North America this should answer your questions--see pages VI.10 thru VI.12

http://www.jcna.com/sites/default/fi...icity_2017.pdf

Old 02-08-2018, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Each of my cars has pin striping aka coach lines. Neither the real thing. Each applied as a vinyl trim.

The use of paint to enhance the lies of the car.

Way back factories did have talented "stripers" to apply the lines.

And, sign painters had the skills to "pull a line".

An American used the name "Von Dutch" and made a name for himself. SOCAL guy, and a "character par excellance". He got the skill from his dad, a sign painter.

When I came to Imperial Valley in SOCAL, an older local collision shop was passing from father to sons. Father Came from Detroit. A "puller of lines". One son was working on acquiring the talent.
Amazing work.

Carl

Old 02-08-2018, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

[QUOTE=sov211;1839147]
Originally Posted by Alan Lindsay
[left]Hi all,

Did these cars come with pin stripingQUOTE]

Yes, these cars came from the factory with coach lines (aka pinstriping) already applied; it was not done by the dealers.
The coach lines were single lines for the Series I and II cars and for the early Series III XJ6 to 1982. Thereafter the 4.2 litre cars and the 5.3 litre cars both had double lines in a variety of colours (linguistic aside: you will note that, as a Canadian, I spell that word correctly. Canadians also know that the last letter of the alphabet is ZED). The information about the coachlines can be confirmed by advertisements from the respective Series years. The Daimlers also had a nice chrome flashing with the coachlines.
I confirm this, as my 1980 Series 3 had the coach line, and when I had a repaint done, I put new ones on. They are not all that hard to fit, as you have the body-side swage line to guide you.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:44 PM
Received 260 Likes on 155 Posts

Anyone have any tips for removing the vinyl pinstripes? I spent ages cutting them off my SI with a razor and heat gun, it's not easy....still have some stubborn bits left...

Old 02-13-2018, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

years ago I bought a drill-mounted tool at a paint store, that "erases" them but I never got the courage to do it. I did not trust it, it looked like it would "erase" the paint too.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:20 PM
Received 260 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
years ago I bought a drill-mounted tool at a paint store, that "erases" them but I never got the courage to do it. I did not trust it, it looked like it would "erase" the paint too.
I have a '73 car with good paint but I'm doing a respray anyway as there are lots of minor little dings and scruffy bits, plus I have shaved the side lights and aerial off it so those areas need fresh paint.

It has the twin gold vinyl stripes on a regency red car. I have tried all sorts of approaches including wiping with old brake fluid partly as an experiment as I'll be refinishing anyway. What seems to work best is getting the tape hot with a heat gun and then easing a sharp razor under it and skimming it off. Problem is every few feet it pulls the paint off in a little chunk.

There has to be a better way but I haven't found it. I did see the little eraser wheels at a swap meet but forgot to buy, maybe I'll try and find one to experiment with on the last little bits of tape still left to do.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:29 AM
Received 3,805 Likes on 2,785 Posts

Just a thought, if the heat gun works I wonder if a steamer would as it removes old tint from windows well.....at least it did on mine.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

I just removed one side of mine with a heat gun, came off really easy but left a bunch of residue that takes a while to remove with 2500 or 3000 grit then polish.

I see no use arguing about the English or American pronunciation, its just differences in the language. Brits try to claim they say the word "correctly" yet the pronounce car as if there isn't in "r" in it, along with nearly any other word that ends in "r" where they make an "ah" sound instead.

The only "wrong" pronunciation IMO is saying "Jag-wire." Which is neither American nor British english.

Anyway, I think the pinstripe can look really good, but my XJ6 has the riveted door bumpers, so I'm stuck with them. The guards and the pinstripe are just too many lines (and thats after removing door edge guards), so I think in my case removing the stripe cleans the body up a lot.