Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   please help? NO SPARK. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/please-help-no-spark-62369/)

luvcarrzalwayz 10-20-2011 06:38 AM

please help? NO SPARK.

I have a 1978 XJ6 v12 that i have just brought and i tryed to start it yesterday but had found that it has no spark! the power is getting to the coil but not to the dizzy. And on the coil + and - my power light glows on both, is it supose to glow on both? and beside the diizy is an ignition booster pack (well thats what the guy who sold it to me said it was) he said it myte be blowen but i dont know how to tell? i also dont knw if it has a moduler in the dizzy? and if their is could it be that??? any suggestion? i will appreciate any help! thanks guys. :)

Fraser Mitchell 10-20-2011 04:25 PM

If your car is a '78, it must be an XJ6 Series 2, so not a particularly sophisticated ignition system which was made by Lucas. So it should be fairly easy to trouble-shoot.

These cars used a Lucas system called "Opus" for "oscillating pick-up system", but many Lucas technicians called it "Oplus" !! It does indeed have an ignition amplifier, and these can/usually do, fail. Replacements are no longer available but you might be able to convert to the later (post 1982), system if you know a bit about electronics.

However, Doug is probably more expert on this as I have not looked at one of these cars for decades.

luvcarrzalwayz 10-20-2011 05:01 PM

Awesome thank you il try that and see how it goes. il post how it goes.

luvcarrzalwayz 10-21-2011 11:41 PM

hi there i tryed it and still no spark? and do u have the firing order for this model coz i thing i myte have some of them on the wrong way? lol sori.

Per 10-31-2011 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by luvcarrzalwayz (Post 419215)
I have a 1978 XJ6 v12 that i have just brought and i tryed to start it yesterday but had found that it has no spark! the power is getting to the coil but not to the dizzy. And on the coil + and - my power light glows on both, is it supose to glow on both? and beside the diizy is an ignition booster pack (well thats what the guy who sold it to me said it was) he said it myte be blowen but i dont know how to tell? i also dont knw if it has a moduler in the dizzy? and if their is could it be that??? any suggestion? i will appreciate any help! thanks guys. :)

By the sound of it the Opus is dead. You can get new internals which fit in the old box (ReOpus, from NZ) or something similar in a box from (IIRC SNG Barratt in UK). The Opus was really stretching the available technology at the time and not up to the job. In addition the electrolytic capacitors are long dead. With modern components it is altogether something else. I have the ReOpus and it transformed the car. (But I have replaced the capacitors in the original and have it as a get-me-home backup in the boot.)