Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Please tell me dont (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/please-tell-me-dont-212151/)

Clasico 12-27-2018 03:25 PM

Please tell me dont

I’m about to take the plunge again!

i’ve had a couple of Jags before, both manufactured under Ford supervision, a X300 and a XK8, they were good machines and trouble free.

Now I’m seriously looking at a 1985 XJ6 Sovereign, it really looks the part, beautiful lines, unblemished interior, 100.000 miles on the clock, no rust... but what kind of troubles are there lurking for me?

Please convince me no to buy it, give me good reasons i need them or....

Jose 12-27-2018 04:00 PM

1985 was the last very good year for Jaguar quality. In 1986 and 1987 they were too busy with the XJ40 and quality went lax.

Yellow series3 12-27-2018 04:49 PM

Sensuous lines, acres of real walnut, the smell of old leather, that sense of heritage. You definitely need this car. When you get it just go through all the electrical connections cleaning and tightening and you will be fine. Welcome to the Forum, we are here to help.

Brutal 12-27-2018 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by jose (Post 2005914)
1985 was the last very good year for jaguar quality. In 1986 and 1987 they were too busy with the xj40 and quality went lax.

until 1995 -1997, most reliable but few bells and whistles compared to everything since. I still say i would donate a 94 or older if someone gave it to me. I have had 8 from 95 on and worked on the earlier ones.

NBCat 12-27-2018 06:26 PM

One issue that can be expensive is replacing the head gasket if the cooling system hasn't been maintained. Rust and sediment collecting in the bottom of the cooling jackets often cause the cylinder head studs to corrode away and then break when the acorn nut head bolts are being loosened. Head gasket failure is not uncommon for the XK engine, but is less frequent than for the earlier cylinder blocks that developed cracks between the numbers three and four cylinders.

Remove the oil filler cap on the exhaust cam cover and see if there are retainers on the tappet buckets. If not, they should be installed as soon as possible if you purchase the vehicle.

Many performance issues with the later 4.2 litre 'big valve' engines can be traced to the air flow meter, so make sure it hasn't been tampered with.

motorcarman 12-27-2018 07:40 PM

I made hundreds of house payments on the homes I've lived in since the 1970's working on XJ6 sedans.
If you are Obsessive/Compulsive about oil leaks......my advise would be to skip the 1969-1987 XJ6 (ALL Jaguars of that era actually) or replace the powertrain with something else. They will drip oil!! The later aluminum engines can be made to hold the oil internally.

As stated the cooling system and cam tappets are an issue. Regardless, I always loved owning/driving the cars!! They drive like nothing else for the time period they were created!!!
The only car I enjoyed more was my 1966 E-Type Coupe.

Every car has common faults, as long as you know in advance what to look for and expect, it can be a blessing or a curse. I have a few series III parts cars and ONE that I will someday resurrect?

bob

davidboger 12-27-2018 09:21 PM

My Jaguar journey started in 2004, with a vacation rental of a 2004 XJ8 VDP... I came home, wanted one and bought a 1987 XJ6. Not at all the same car, but one that made me fall in love with the marque... Since then I've had 3 daily driver Series 3, several projects that weren't meant to be, at least 50 parts cars, and now a 1996 XJ6....
I can tell you the Series 3 isn't anything like the X300... Our 96 has been my wife's daily driver for 6 years. There are some things on it that I still can't sort my way through mechanically... But it's seemingly bullet proof.. Smooth, quick and a looker...
The longest I had a Series 3 driver continuously was about 6 years. It was one that I truly enjoyed every second of ownership... I understood how it worked, and even without a mechanical background, I could work on almost everything myself. It was a tinkerer's car, that always asked for some sort of attention, usually in some sort of slight aggravation that would sometimes work itself out. The engine and transmission combo always seemed adequate, but a little underpowered. There are ways to work around that, especially with a GM transmission, but I never pursued it... The interior always took me to a different place.... I referred to it as sitting in an English pub, with it's Mulberry interior and wood (though I've never been to an English pub, LOL)... But it was in every respect a gentleman's car.
Working with them for about 13 years has shown me a lot of the common flaws that pop up, but most of those seem to come with age and lack of attention. My advice to everyone that asks is to buy the best example you can afford, or the one that you feel a personal connection to that you won't mind the slight aggravations.. It's not one that will show a huge potential as far as an investment, but one that will pay dividends in enjoyment..
Looking forward to hearing about your car when you decide to purchase it...
Cheers
David
shop.EverydayXJ.com

Clasico 12-28-2018 08:11 AM

You are not being of much help😁
i need more reasons NOT to buy it

thanks

Clasico 12-28-2018 08:14 AM

Clasico 12-28-2018 08:17 AM

aint she a beauty!

NBCat 12-28-2018 09:08 AM

Looks very nice with the 'pepperpot' wheels. Appears to be well maintained and the climate offers the possibility of it being rust free.

Clasico 12-28-2018 09:29 AM

Clasico 12-28-2018 09:35 AM

I’ll be checking her out second week of january!
If i dont find rust, motor sounds right and everything works i might do it again OMG

ok i know, wife wont like it (i have 4 extra, i like cars), no more space at home, i wont use as much, i’m hopeless at tinkering, my kids think i’m a bit looney, it could be a money pit...

what other excuses i need no to buy it!

Clasico 12-28-2018 09:36 AM

LnrB 12-28-2018 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Clasico (Post 2006094)
You are not being of much help��
i need more reasons NOT to buy it
thanks

Most of us in here Love our Xj6, even with (or because of) all its warts, for no other reason than Emotional Attachment (although we can all give a list of "reasons"). And with the possible exception of Grant who has only ever owned Jags, we wonder Why we waited so long to jump into this pool!

You won't find very many reasons in here NOT to buy this car! By the look of it, many of us are Envious you have access to it and we don't.

However, none of us have to deal with your wife or the domestic fallout of your bringing this Lovely example of Jaguarania home. Nor do any of us have to deal with your banker (knowing they may be one and the same). Those are for you alone to deal with. And, Why do you care what your kids think?!

Speaking only for myself:This time of year, when Nix is in Hibernation snugly in her garage, I ache every time I walk by and see her sleeping, knowing it's at least 2 more months until I can safely take her out without fear of her getting rained upon (cats do Not like to get their feet wet!), terrorizing the Passing Lanes, S-Curves and Chicanes for another season. In the 5 years of my ownership, the vast majority of "issues," faults and "Deferred Maintenance" have been resolved for another 40 years. What remains is just to DRIVE THE WHEELS OFF!

I can't wait!
(';')

JagCad 12-28-2018 11:06 AM

Clasico:

Por que esperas"" Compre lo !1 No duerme popr wue otro vto lo compre!!

Espanol??? De escuela,,,

Carl

Doug 12-29-2018 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Clasico (Post 2005905)
troubles are there lurking for me?

In one of the sticky threads at the top of this section is a buyers guide that may help.

These are great cars once everything is sorted. Remember, though, it's a car from a different era with roots going back to the late 1960s. The most modern of all antique automobiles. Quite a different experience when you're used to modern-ish Jags.

Personally, I don't think model year makes much difference at this stage of the game. For a happy ownership experience actual, present-day condition is most important.

Cheers
DD

Clasico 12-29-2018 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by LnrB (Post 2006149)
Most of us in here Love our Xj6, even with (or because of) all its warts, for no other reason than Emotional Attachment (although we can all give a list of "reasons"). And with the possible exception of Grant who has only ever owned Jags, we wonder Why we waited so long to jump into this pool!

You won't find very many reasons in here NOT to buy this car! By the look of it, many of us are Envious you have access to it and we don't.

However, none of us have to deal with your wife or the domestic fallout of your bringing this Lovely example of Jaguarania home. Nor do any of us have to deal with your banker (knowing they may be one and the same). Those are for you alone to deal with. And, Why do you care what your kids think?!

Speaking only for myself:This time of year, when Nix is in Hibernation snugly in her garage, I ache every time I walk by and see her sleeping, knowing it's at least 2 more months until I can safely take her out without fear of her getting rained upon (cats do Not like to get their feet wet!), terrorizing the Passing Lanes, S-Curves and Chicanes for another season. In the 5 years of my ownership, the vast majority of "issues," faults and "Deferred Maintenance" have been resolved for another 40 years. What remains is just to DRIVE THE WHEELS OFF!

I can't wait!
(';')

i love cats too, problem is i always buy by heart rather than head (well i do my basics but that is all!)
thats why i need to put more thinking into it

Clasico 12-29-2018 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by JagCad (Post 2006155)
Clasico:

Por que esperas"" Compre lo !1 No duerme popr wue otro vto lo compre!!

Espanol??? De escuela,,,

Carl

hola JagCad, tú español es muy bueno!
tienes razón debería comprarlo antes de que se lo lleve otro hahaha

sanchez 12-29-2018 06:26 AM

Hello all,
I am reading this post and I am reading comments about how the car looks.
I am not seeing any pics of the said car as some of you have.
What's wrong?