Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   power antenna failure (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/power-antenna-failure-59261/)

tsingtao35 08-13-2011 05:08 PM

power antenna failure

pretty sure the motor in the boot to the antenna is dead..anyone know if this can be fitted to a manual one?

Doug 08-13-2011 05:17 PM

Are you asking if a manual antenna can be installed...or what?

Cheers
DD

tsingtao35 08-13-2011 05:55 PM

yes, can i replace it with a manual antenna as long as the clearance is there inside the qtr panel behind the tail lamp assembly? i'd imagine so

Doug 08-13-2011 06:56 PM

I don't see any reason why not. Neither the car nor the radio knows if the antena is power operated or not.

Cheers
DD

doghead08 08-13-2011 07:00 PM

i thought mine was dead..so did my expert mechanic

i swapped out the relay...works as good as ever. WINNING!!!

tsingtao35 08-14-2011 12:44 AM

unless i'm looking at the wrong relay..its seems that my antenna runs to the same relay as the fuel pump...i think the relay is fine...gona trying hammering it tomorrow.

sneal46 08-14-2011 07:49 PM

Doghead,

My antenna just went out today (must be something in the air)... can you post a pic of that relay? Mine is stuck in the up position and car cover will not go on now.

Thanks.....Scott

sneal46 08-14-2011 07:50 PM

BTW... in addition the fuse keeps blowing on the antenna/interior light circuit. Did anyone else have this issue?

Doug 08-14-2011 08:13 PM

Assuming original parts and not aftermarket replacements, the antenna relay is usually lite green and mounted on or near the antenna motor....which is a couple feet away from the antenna itself, the two being connected by conduit with a cable inside. It's on the same fuse as (some of) the interior lights. When the fuse blows it can, on some models, cause the door lights to stay dimly lit at all times.

The relay incorporates a timer to delay retraction of the antenna

The fuel pump relay is on the firewall

Cheers
DD

Doug 08-14-2011 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by sneal46 (Post 391646)
BTW... in addition the fuse keeps blowing on the antenna/interior light circuit. Did anyone else have this issue?

The antenna or motor is probably jammed/seized...creating excessive draw and thus blowing the fuse. I'd pull the relay for the time being.

Cheers
DD

doghead08 08-14-2011 10:27 PM

blown fuses

i blew 3 or 4 fuses trying to get the relay wired correctly. since then the aerial has been working like a champ.

if you still need, ill send you the pick tomorrow

you can go run a search and see what it looks like

tsingtao35 08-14-2011 11:03 PM

great, i'd appreciate it.

sneal46 08-22-2011 07:02 AM

A pic would be helpful. Also... where did you find a new relay for the antenna? It has 5-6 wires on it, not like the fuel relay which is more generic.

tsingtao35 08-22-2011 06:51 PM

just bought a used one on ebay, should be here any day now. Its green and in the spare tire compartment...didnt know where to look for a new one.

wardriver64 12-07-2013 06:02 PM

The power antenna on my 76 XJ6 has been running great. But when I arrived home tonight and turned the car off the antenna did not retract. I checked the fuse in the truck near the spare and it had blown, I put in another and it blew. What could the issue be, could the relay be shot?

desko1954 09-11-2014 07:51 PM

Power antenna failure

My antenna failed on my 77 XJ6 motor kept running it was a broken cable from the motor to the antenna itself. After a fruitless search for repair parts I decided to replace it with a manual. Found one on ebay for 20 bucks I believe it was for a toyota truck the angle for the chrome bezel is very steep so you have to be careful it fit perfectly with minor mods

Jonnyy 11-25-2014 04:32 PM

My "new" 2007 Jag XK Antena doesn't retract all the way, leaves the last section up. Any ideas on why?
Thanks

alynmurray 11-26-2014 08:40 AM

Repair it

If you remove the entire apparatus from the car and clean it (especially the telescoping sections of the mast) There is a drain hole in the bottom of the motor casing to let water out. Water that has seeped in by coming down the mast settles in the bottom of the casing. These are easy to disassemble and clean, with the mast fully extended , wipe it with some light oil on a rag. If it has never been lubed dirt gets collected in the mast section and eventually the resistance to operate over comes the fuse rating and the fuse blows.

They are not that difficult to disassemble ,clean, reassemble. Mine on my 86 works just fine, but I make sure the telescoping action is clean, has been wiped with an oily rag recently and runs smoothly. Don't give up on it rather learn how it works - that's the beauty of these cars when every thing works they are quite a joy.