Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Power steering pump for 350 V8 conversion? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/power-steering-pump-350-v8-conversion-169277/)

Hafrod 09-13-2016 04:47 PM

Power steering pump for 350 V8 conversion?

Can I run a mid 80s GM power steering pump with the Jaguar rack? It's the O-ring style power steering pump. Don't know what the Jaguar rack line pressure is. I think this pump I have is 1100-1200psi

icsamerica 09-13-2016 04:58 PM

Yes

Originally Posted by Hafrod (Post 1534572)
Can I run a mid 80s GM power steering pump with the Jaguar rack? It's the O-ring style power steering pump. Don't know what the Jaguar rack line pressure is. I think this pump I have is 1100-1200psi

Yes. Jaguar used a GM pump.

alynmurray 09-13-2016 06:37 PM

PS pump

I used a GM pump that was on the v8 engine when I bought it. Added new hose(s) and swapped in the pressure relief valve from the Jag (GM) pump.

LnrB 09-14-2016 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by alynmurray (Post 1534635)
... swapped in the pressure relief valve from the Jag (GM) pump.

If I do that will I get my one-finger steering back?
(';')

Grant Francis 09-14-2016 12:25 AM

Should do.

JagCad 09-14-2016 09:19 AM

There is a way. Some GM pumps match Jaguar racks better than others.
I think Andrew Weinberg's Jaguar-specialties site has a section on it.
It is a function of pressure relief valves and orifice size. I can only comment from what I've read.

Now, the later GM pumps as used in my LT1 and I think in the LS series match about right. Mine suits me. Enough boost to make driving easy, but not over boosted to make it skittish.

In the early days of PS, MOPARS were known for "over boost".

Somewhere on the web is a You Tube description of a four wheeler's
changes to this pump to accommodate their needs, huge tires!!! More boost sought there. But, definitely informative.

Just though of it. The relation of the size of the pulley on the pump to that on then crank shaft. That RPM thing.

So, Hafrod, plumb it in, try it and see if it suits you. It might just be.

Carl

alynmurray 09-14-2016 09:32 AM

LnrB,... you might get the one finger steering back if it was there prior to the engine swap... also the original size steering wheel plays a part in determining the effort (leverage) the driver must use to steer the car.

Do you have strong fingers/arms/shoulders and original diameter steering wheel ?

alynmurray 09-14-2016 09:36 AM

LnrB,... you might get the one finger steering back if it was there prior to the engine swap... also the original size steering wheel plays a part in determining the effort (leverage) the driver must use to steer the car.

Do you have strong fingers/arms/shoulders and original diameter steering wheel ?

:icon_captain: :icon_captain:

JagCad 09-14-2016 09:52 AM

Alyn:

Elinor is a farm raised gal and now works with machines. I'm sure her fingers, arms and shoulders are quite strong....

Elinor:

A new PS pump? If so, do you still have the old one that provided the boost that you like? If so, swap out the top, as Alyn did. I think that is what Andrew suggests as well.

And, as Alyn says, go cart sized wheel vs bus size makes a huge difference.

Carl

Carl

Hafrod 09-14-2016 05:19 PM

My main concern is a higher pressure pump blowing out my old rack seals. Don't know if it's even possible but it was a thought that popped up in my head

LnrB 09-14-2016 05:48 PM

It's the same pump but NOT the same rack!

Amid that massive suspension (and other things) refurbishment last year we had to put on a S3 rack. Steering effort is at least tripled if not more. Steering wheel is original from factory.

The "new" rack already had a leak in the tower seal, but the old one leaked Way worse and at every joint, and used to get 'stuck' going around a right turn in town at low revs.

I have a factory Jag pump from a S3. But I'm thinking this is a project for when Winter sets in and I don't mind having the car down for a time while I figure this out and learn for sure that it won't blow All the seals as Hafrod fears.
(';')

alynmurray 09-15-2016 08:45 AM

LnrB,..
I think the valve relief spring is calibrated for the rack that came matched with it from the factory. That is why I changed mine (installed the valve relief spring from the PS pump that was on the Jag engine,...into the pump on the GM V8 engine

So the S3 pump should work fine -give you the same boost as found on S3 cars (as long as the original valve relief spring is still inside the S3 pump),..

Hafrod 09-15-2016 07:27 PM

What fluid should I use? What I drained out was red like transmission fluid.

icsamerica 09-15-2016 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Hafrod (Post 1535784)
What fluid should I use? What I drained out was red like transmission fluid.

The pump wont care. In Series 2 racks, Jaguar Specified ATF type F. On series 3 racks they specified Dextron 2D which is NLA. I've always used GM power steering fluid which is clear-ish with good results. Many racks, no leaks.

JagCad 09-16-2016 02:05 AM

Yeah, lately, I've used generic PS fluid and it works just fine. In past years, in other critters, I've used ATF with no issues.

Might well be the same or similar and it is merely the package.

Hafrod:
I doubt that any of the combinations are going to blow the seals in any of the Jaguar racks. Caveat, if they are healthy. Fresh pump, good PSI, marginal seals in older rack, just might blow the seals in he rack.

Go for it sand see!

Carl