Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Problem with turn signals working (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/problem-turn-signals-working-5198/)

Afflict 03-28-2008 06:11 PM

Problem with turn signals working

I recently bought this car (1980 Jag. XJ6)and it has an issue with the turn signals working.. sometimes they do sometimes they don't, hazard signalis the same way. I think this might be a turn signal switch needing to be replaced, but I don't know; hoping just a relay or something cheaper.Maybe someone might have an idea what this could be.

Jose 03-28-2008 06:39 PM

RE: Problem with turn signals working

have you checked the fuse contacts first? (at the fuse box), they are known to become intermittent and the way to fix it is to tighten the brass fuse holders with needlenose pliers, then insert the fuse back.

let us know after you have done that.

Jose

Afflict 03-30-2008 07:30 PM

I tried that, still no change, starting to think it is just gonna need to be replaced.i try to use hazard lights andall it does is it sticks, so it looks like theparking lightsarejuston and sometimes it just plain doesn't work andwhen i try to use turn signals i get nothing.

Jose 03-31-2008 07:40 AM

the hazard switch is sticking? sounds like the inner contact plate (inside the hazard switch) is either broken or incorrectly seated. I know a parts vendor who had a batch of these switches with that problem because they were incorrectly assembled by workers. Have you replaced the switch recently? If not, here's how to check it:

Disconnect battery;

Remove the Hazard switch by removing two tiny phillips screws, you will need a shorty #1 phillips screwdriver. (a jeweler's screwdriver works best). (of course you need to remove the upper and lower black plastic Covers over the Upper Steering Column first).

Make sure youdraw a sketch of where each wire is connected to the Hazard Switch, before you disconnect any wire!

Pry off the black plastic cover from the Hazard Switch very carefully, it is held in place by two protruding "dots" which engage two holes/tabs in the cover. DO NOT BREAK/CRACK THE COVER TABS! (if you do, you need Epoxy for plastic, Crazy Glue will not work).

Inside you will see a white nylon, movable"tab" with brass contacts. It is shaped like a fat"L". Make sure it is seated correctly, it can only "seat"one-way. The switch Housing will let you know if it is seated correctly. (if it is cracked in two, that's the problem, you can epoxy it back).

When replacing the Switch Cover, apply some grease or oil (cooking oil is fine) with a Q-Tip or old toothbrush to the two "dots" on the switch's housing, and to the inside of the switch cover's Tabs, so it will slide on and off easily next time. In other words, the switch should not "stick", it should go to the "down" and "up"positions easily. If it is sticking, it's probably the inside white tab.

Let us know.

Jose

cgrcar 04-02-2008 02:00 PM

I have just noticed that my turn signals work even when there is no key in contact... true is that I just took off the plastic cover bellow the steering wheel to see how does wiper/washer stick contact looks (I've ordered the new one... park position problem).

After I put the plastic cover back the turn signals did not work - the reason seems to be that I tightened plastic cover back to much - after I loose screws a little, it works OK.

But of course I don't know now whether turn signals worked without key contact even before I did that or not - I am just pretty sure that they shouldn't work without key in the contact...

What could be wrong?

Thanks,

Cene

Jose 04-02-2008 03:02 PM

the Turn Signals should not work with ignition switch OFF, only the Flash-To-Pass signal does;The Cruise-Speed Control SET button does not work either with ignition switch OFF.

You may have incorrectly connected the wires at the Emergency Hazard Switch if youreplaced it.

Jose

[sm=youreright.gif]

cgrcar 04-02-2008 03:15 PM

Jose,

I didn't replace the switch - cruise control doesn't work anyway... so is it possible that both symptoms are connected somehow? Both systems are on the same stick...

On the other hand - the fact that the turn signals didn't work when I put the cover back too strong means that there is some bad connection, doesn't it?

Cene

cgrcar 04-03-2008 02:24 PM

Hi,

checked today - when I put back plastic cover back the hazard lights switch was not correctly in place. That was the reason for my problem...

C

Jose 04-05-2008 07:29 AM

there you go! when working in Jaguars, always remember that the reason for any malfunction can be traced back to the last thing you did to it. So always re-trace your steps.

Jose

ken@britishparts.com 04-08-2008 12:23 PM

I wish that only related to Jags.....