Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   PSA: Rockauto (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/psa-rockauto-218928/)

e015475 06-09-2019 09:38 PM

PSA: Rockauto

I find a few parts I need for my Jag from Rockauto, usually at pretty good prices, Most times, however, they don't have what I'm looking for

Recently, they sent me an email stating that they were trying to sell obsolete inventory and I could look at all the obsolete inventory for my car by doing the following-

-select make, year and model for your vehicle, and before you get to the selection of the part category you need, select the "RSS" orange red box instead
-you will arrive at another screen, and in the right column select RSS or HTML again, and a list of all the obsolete parts available for your car will pop up.

Just to give you an idea of the prices, here's what I ordered for my XJ6 today-
- Set of Belden ignition wires $7.54
- Wix oil filter $1.31
- Upper radiator hose, moulded to fit, Continental $2.54

I didn't buy any (because I bought some KYBs the other day) but they had the Monroe front shocks for $7.50 each.
Might be junk, but you could make out just using the upper bushings and still make out ok.

Selection wasn't astounding, but maybe you need something they have or just want to squirrel away stuff for future PM like me. (was really hoping they had aluminum A6 compressors for $50 on close out, but no such luck)

Phil

Phil

Jose 06-10-2019 05:05 AM

Monroe shocks are not exactly junk. They are the equivalent of the factory shocks in terms of ride and comfort. KYB shocks are harsh, not for me

icsamerica 06-10-2019 12:25 PM

Thanks, I got plugs, a badly needed alternator belt and A/C belt for less than 10$.

e015475 06-10-2019 12:28 PM

"Monroe shocks are not exactly junk. They are the equivalent of the factory shocks in terms of ride and comfort."

So I ordered a set of Monroes too. I'll be able to compare the Boge, KYB and Monroes.

LnrB 06-10-2019 04:44 PM

Rock Auto is one of our first places to look for parts.
Nix carries Many parts from Rock Auto.

The only problem is, recently, they've become a Store Front selling for others, items which are drop-shipped from the seller, sort of like eBay or Amazon (from whom she also carries parts). That means that sometimes shipping is Horrendous! But if ya gotta have it NOW, and they've got it NOW, shipping is irrelevant.
(';')

Jose 06-10-2019 07:11 PM

but NOW rock auto is refusing to ship to certain states that require SALES TAX to be collected!

Rock Auto stated that "we are not set up to render sales tax reports to every state that decides they want to tax online buyers so we will not ship to those states".

Personally I think it is auto parts chains in bed with state politicians just like they are in bed with insurance racketeers. Yes. A conspiracy.

Brutal 06-11-2019 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by jose (Post 2083196)
but now rock auto is refusing to ship to certain states that require sales tax to be collected!

Rock auto stated that "we are not set up to render sales tax reports to every state that decides they want to tax online buyers so we will not ship to those states".

Personally i think it is auto parts chains in bed with state politicians just like they are in bed with insurance racketeers. Yes. A conspiracy.

no just politicians wanting to tax anything they possibly can. If anything they may be trying to limit the destructions of in state retailing because for me i can just buy online and not spend time in a store that probobly wont have what i want and it will be at my door in acouple days. Should have bought amazon stocks bak when they just sold books online :)

JagCad 06-11-2019 01:25 PM

Sad, if so. My car enjoys many parts that came via Rock Auto. Indeed, I've wondered how the mail order places dealt with the various sales tax schemes!! Whew, in CA, they vary city tot city and county to county!!!! I understand Rockauto policy but, do I? sure would cut down income!!! CA just enacted it. As said, more bucks to "invest". Poly speak for spend!!!

Jose: You really think Insurors are in ed with politicos!!! In my many years in insurance, I saw the very opposite...

One case, I saw as pure political zeal or at best ineptness. The CA insurance commission liquidated one of the companies that was my client. Shut it down and let the guarantee facet finish paying claims, collecting reinsurance and vendors. Vendors last. Ten years later, all paid from assets. Including vendors. and that with no premium coming in!! Clearly, killed off a viable enterprise...

The Insurance Commisoner is a pure political animal. the presnt one's qualifications are that he is an MD!!!! ,

One more. insurance is a very competitive business. yet highly regulated???
Surely not a monopoly...

Check out CA's legislation. Fair Claim Practices. One known as Unfair Claim Practices. An insult. we howled they listened., Gee!!!

And, how and why would an auto parts chain sleep with the politicos????

Jose, apologies, I don't wan tto engage in a political debate with you.

Jose 06-11-2019 01:38 PM

Carl, California has always been pro-consumer, It's a different planet there.But extending their arm accross state lines to collect taxes should be illegal.

Whatever happened to the famous 1980's pro-consumer advocate of California? Walter something if I recall his name correctly.

He was The Man.