Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   radiator options for a 1985 XJ6 Series III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/radiator-options-1985-xj6-series-iii-63673/)

pdog2000 11-18-2011 10:34 AM

radiator options for a 1985 XJ6 Series III

hey guys - i've done a search and found a few threads on this...but wanted to see the latest...my radiator is on its last legs according to my mechanic and he says i should be looking for a replacement so i have one when my current one goes...what are my best options...a radiator for my make model, seems super expensive...are there any other options? and where is the best place to buy one where i can get a good one...thanks

Doug 11-18-2011 11:01 AM

Some have reported that an aluminum rad from a late model Mustang fits very well with minimal mods needed....and apparently less than $200 from typical online vendors.

I'll try to find the specifics and report back. I'm sure there are many variations of "Mustang radiator"

Cheers
DD

pdog2000 11-18-2011 11:13 AM

thanks doug...might be a dumb question but can the radiator be re cored?

Doug 11-18-2011 01:13 PM

Take a peek a 1997-2004 Mustang GT 4.6 V8 radiators. That's the type I've heard about working in a Ser III with very little fussing about. No personal experience here, mind you.

Yes, your radiator can be recored....but even that is pretty expensive.

The radiator guy I've always used says the original equipment are very high grade new cores are costly ("they just don't make 'em like this anymore" type of thing) especially compared to the brand-new-from-China radiators that everyone selss these days.

Since you don't have an urgent need to decide today I'd find a *good* used Jag radiator and have your local radiator guy just boil it out and resolder it. You'll end up with a better radiator, IMHO.

The tricky part is that you can't always tell a "good radiator" from a "bad radiator" on simple exterior inspection.

Cheers
DD

Fraser Mitchell 11-18-2011 02:48 PM

I had mine for a 1980 Series 3re-cored way back in the early 90s. It didn't seem too expensive then, but this is England, not the USA. It certainly did the trick, anyway, and I retained a decent radiator made of copper.

pdog2000 01-13-2012 11:08 PM

Well my mechanic was working on replacing my radiator today and it looks like the radiator I got for the car is missing one connection for a hose that comes from the header tank...I am guessing the radiator I got was for a non ac or non US model? Have any of you experienced this type of thing before...shy of getting a new radiator do I have any retrofit options...the radiator I bought was brand new off eBay and was a oem jag part for a series III xj6...mine is a 1985...I've been going through my parts catalogs and repair manuals but can't find the exact issues...I am a few thousand miles away from the car right now so i am limited on what I can check so I am hoping it is an easy diagnosis