Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Rattle in rear, EZ fix! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/rattle-rear-ez-fix-219699/)

Doug 06-26-2019 10:23 PM

Rattle in rear, EZ fix!

Quick tidbit:

Since the car has been running so well (daily driver Series III V12....life is good!) I've decided to tackle some rattles.

One has been especially annoying as it constantly occurs on a section of road that I drive twice a day. Pretty hard to ignore.

The noise was occurring at low speed, 15-25 mph, on mildly uneven road surfaces. It was a knocking or clucking sound. Cluck your tongue against the roof of your mouth. That's the sound!

Lucky me, I found the source in less than five minutes. There have been times where I've hours and hours tracking down a rattle!

The trunk lid latch was knocking against the striker. The fix was easy: adjust the striker downwards a bit so the latch engages more snugly. There's a (fragile) plastic cover over the striker that must be removed first. Not hard to do, just be gentle. I didn't break this one but have broken a couple in the past.

Thirty minutes total. Wish I hadn't waited so long !

Cheers
DD

Yellow series3 06-27-2019 10:54 AM

Doug, I think I speak for all of us, we need some photos of your car. A V12 everyday driver!

I have a question regarding noise in the boot area but not the latch adjustment. On my 87 when I close the trunk there is this soft clang. And it is sort of like an echo. The first clang is kind of loud followed immediately by a softer one, and then a very soft one. The whole thing takes a couple seconds. There have been some recent posts about "cowbell" noise and I'm afraid I don't know what that is. Is this the same thing? Keep in mind this is a beautiful rust free California car that has been well maintained. I've had the spare tire area apart and it's not down there. If I had to come up with a scenario I would say and end wrench hanging from a cord close it a steel panel. I have not had a chance to remove the boot side cards yet. Thanks for any ideas you folks have.

Jeff

Doug 06-27-2019 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Yellow series3 (Post 2090906)
Doug, I think I speak for all of us, we need some photos of your car. A V12 everyday driver!

Look at post #9 in this thread

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...tinued-177670/

I have a question regarding noise in the boot area but not the latch adjustment. On my 87 when I close the trunk there is this soft clang. And it is sort of like an echo. The first clang is kind of loud followed immediately by a softer one, and then a very soft one. The whole thing takes a couple seconds. There have been some recent posts about "cowbell" noise and I'm afraid I don't know what that is. Is this the same thing? Keep in mind this is a beautiful rust free California car that has been well maintained. I've had the spare tire area apart and it's not down there. If I had to come up with a scenario I would say and end wrench hanging from a cord close it a steel panel. I have not had a chance to remove the boot side cards yet. Thanks for any ideas you folks have.

Yup, I'd say you're hearing the cowbells!

Cheers
DD

Yellow series3 06-27-2019 08:38 PM

Doug, I read your threads about your converting a 6 cylinder car to a v12. That is amazing, I am sure you are the only person ever to do that. That all transpired just before I joined the Forum.

Some day I'll dig in there and address the cowbell.

Jeff

Doug 06-27-2019 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Yellow series3 (Post 2091152)
Doug, I read your threads about your converting a 6 cylinder car to a v12. That is amazing, I am sure you are the only person ever to do that.

At least one other did the same, a fellow named John Testrake. His success was my impetus!

Presently, on the J-L Forums, a fellow with a Series I is doing the same.

Cheers
DD