Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   recreation fuel! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/recreation-fuel-128190/)

Darrenmb 10-07-2014 08:33 AM

recreation fuel!

I was out and about yesterday in my company vehicle and couldnt find a bp anywhere close (thats who my gas card is wit) so i puled into a marathon station, much to my surprise im at a pump called recreation fuel, has no ethanol in it!!! i looked at other pumps and its just the one pump!!! i didnt need it for the van so i moved over, but im heading back today with gas cans so i can fill jag!!!!

Dont know if other stations are doing this as i normally only go to bp, so keep an eye out!! there may be one near you!!!

Doug 10-07-2014 08:39 AM

Is it more/less expensive?

What advantages and benefits are you hoping to realize?

Just wondering :)

Cheers
DD

Jose 10-07-2014 09:08 AM

yes, I have a Marathon nearby selling Racing-Grade fuel too. (near 100 octane), I asked several people about it and they told me to STAY AWAY FROM IT !

so I have not tried it, I don't know what benefit I would get from it.

Mikey 10-07-2014 10:19 AM

:icon_lurk5: I knew the popcorn smiley would come in handy someday.

I think it's pretty creative of the gas companies to get around the state or federal requirement to sell E10 by labelling it 'recreation' fuel, knowing that they can sell it at a significant surcharge to those that live in fear.

JagCad 10-07-2014 10:54 AM

My LT1 powered jaguar and my 4.0 straight six Jeep get along fine on E10. So, I'll not mess with anything else. As I live in the Peoples Republic, nothing else is at any pump!!!

My four cycle "work' engines on the lawn mower and chipper shredder and now the tiller do OK on E10. so, no sweat there.

However, my two cycle blowers, generator and weed whacker don't like E10!!!
Gas plus a shot of oil, nope.

But, I got a can of premix. No ethanol. A tad pricey, but the 2cylces love it!!

Jose;

Unless you are pulling 11 to one or so, 100 octane is a big waste of bucks.

My cars do just fine on 87!!

Carl

Mikey 10-07-2014 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by JagCad (Post 1073775)

Unless you are pulling 11 to one or so, 100 octane is a big waste of bucks.

Modern Jags are 11:1 and run perfectly on 91.

JagCad 10-07-2014 11:18 AM

OK!!

But, Jose's Jags are very much older!!

Carl

yarpos 10-07-2014 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Darrenmb (Post 1073716)
I was out and about yesterday in my company vehicle and couldnt find a bp anywhere close (thats who my gas card is wit) so i puled into a marathon station, much to my surprise im at a pump called recreation fuel, has no ethanol in it!!! i looked at other pumps and its just the one pump!!! i didnt need it for the van so i moved over, but im heading back today with gas cans so i can fill jag!!!!

Dont know if other stations are doing this as i normally only go to bp, so keep an eye out!! there may be one near you!!!

Is everything ethanol-ised over there? Dies that vary by state or pretty much everywhere? I havent driven over there for years now.

E10 and E85 is available here but not dominant, at least in my state. The ethanol stuff is very popular with the forced induction guys.

Darrenmb 10-07-2014 03:00 PM

i just figured it was better for my system as it sits dormant for long periods of time, it took me better than 6 months to burn 5 gallons, my tanks are all clean and would like to keep them that way.
im already putting stabil in and only using one tank, but even with the stabil my gas start to take on a funny odor after about 6 weeks!

Doug 10-07-2014 07:21 PM

If you store the car for long periods and if the storage environment is damp then you might see some benefit from the non-ethanol.

If you intend to drive the car then you won't notice any difference except a 3% drop in fuel economy.

Cheers
DD

yarpos 10-08-2014 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey (Post 1073776)
Modern Jags are 11:1 and run perfectly on 91.

Computers and a truck load of sensors allow you to do lots of stuff these days.

o1xjr 10-08-2014 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by yarpos (Post 1073901)
E10 and E85 is available here but not dominant, at least in my state. The ethanol stuff is very popular with the forced induction guys.

In Queensland we can get E10, but I don't know anyone who uses the diluted fuel.
We have the option of 91 ,95 ,98 and 100 octane.(100 available at some BP's)
I run my 4.2 and 2011 Jeep on 95 and my mazda 3 on 91. The bikes run 98.

I found the fuel economy on the Mazda no different between 91, 95 and 98, well not enough to spend 20 cents a litre more.

The XJ6 was tried on a few tanks of 91 ,95, and 98. It seems to run best on 95.

The Jeep cap says 95 only. Havn't had it long enough to try anything different yet.

Doug 10-08-2014 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by yarpos (Post 1073901)
Is everything ethanol-ised over there? Dies that vary by state or pretty much everywhere? I havent driven over there for years now.

It varies by state and/or region. Here in Washington state E10 is standard issue. I lived here 20 years and I can't remember, offhand, ever seeing non-E10 fuel

Cheers
DD

Mikey 10-08-2014 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Darrenmb (Post 1073917)
i just figured it was better for my system as it sits dormant for long periods of time, it took me better than 6 months to burn 5 gallons, my tanks are all clean and would like to keep them that way.
im already putting stabil in and only using one tank, but even with the stabil my gas start to take on a funny odor after about 6 weeks!

That might have been the Stabil going off if the bottle had been sitting on a shelf. E10 in a sealed tank (like your Jag) is good for at least a year.

Jagfixer 10-08-2014 10:07 AM

My brother-in-law lives in Fla in FWB and started buying non-ethanol fuel at a station selling it. He had lots of problem with water in fuel a station that did not sell much and never tended tanks. Now he uses marina or ethanol as boat was made for it. Ethanol fuel in same quantities in non-ethanol car will burn more fuel as it takes 2X alcohol to burn same rate as gasoline. Only problem in old Jags for the ethanol fuel would be fuel lines and gaskets. I once had a 120 that had the tanks full of methanol when I bought it, Upon tear down saw no problems with engine valves, just leaks in gaskets and rubber lines. The car had been raced. If it does not knock or run on with the fuel you buy do not worry about it.

Mikey 10-08-2014 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jagfixer (Post 1074376)
Ethanol fuel in same quantities in non-ethanol car will burn more fuel as it takes 2X alcohol to burn same rate as gasoline.

Not true. Ethanol has 70% of the energy of gasoline. In pure form a car would burn 30% more fuel, not 200% more. Since E10 fuel is 10% ethanol, the car will consume 3% more.

I once had a 120 that had the tanks full of methanol when I bought it,

Don't confuse methanol with ethanol. No car is built to use the former.

Doug 10-08-2014 10:41 AM

Only problem in old Jags for the ethanol fuel would be fuel lines and gaskets.

I'm not really so sure about E10 being a problem for fuel lines and gaskets, to be honest.

My 80s vintage Jags (if that's what could be called 'old') didn't suffer any unusual gasket or fuel line failures on a steady diet of E10.

If we're talking about 1950s-60s-70s Jags, well, heck, those fuel lines and gaskets are 40-50-60 years old. Some things just don't last forever.... no matter what fuel is used. If a 40 year old fuel line gives out are we willing to assert that the failure wouldn't have occurred but for the use E10 gas?

How does a person actually *verify* which problems are E10 related and which are simply old age?

What is the analysis process, or test, or measurement, or identifier ....other than general unpopularity.....that screams "E10 caused this problem" ?

Cheers
DD

Mikey 10-08-2014 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 1074399)

How does a person actually *verify* which problems are E10 related and which are simply old age?

What is the analysis process, or test, or measurement, or identifier ....other than general unpopularity.....that screams "E10 caused this problem" ?

Cheers
DD

+1

Many still blame the removal of lead from the fuel or even the change in octane rating systems back in the '70s for any and all engine problems. :icon_wink:

o1xjr 10-08-2014 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 1074399)
I'm not really so sure about E10 being a problem for fuel lines and gaskets, to be honest.

DD

When I bought a new boat in 2004(90 hp 2 stroke outboard) the dealer told me never to put E10 in as it will gunk the fuel lines etc.
As he said, if your car stops you hop out and walk. If your boat stops you sit and wait for someone to come by.

Never used E10, and never will until I have no other option.

Mikey 10-08-2014 03:47 PM

On the other hand, the owner's manual for my outboards indicate that E10 is fully approved. That's good because there is no 'pure gas' readily available here.

E10 and boats can be a problem depending on the how the tank is vented. Mine are no different than an older car or motorcycle. No problem.