Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Removing factory cassette player (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/removing-factory-cassette-player-12673/)

mos33c20 03-21-2009 05:12 PM

Removing factory cassette player

I just purchased a 1987 XJ6 that still has the factory cassette player and I don't have the code to enter for it to work. I have bought a CD player/receiver but can't figure out how to remove the factory unit.

Thanks,
Dave

davidboger 03-21-2009 05:19 PM

HI Dave

Pretty simple...
Pull the knobs off the heater controls. You'll see some slotted nuts. Sometimes those come off really easy, sometimes a bit more difficult. There is a "proper tool" to remove them, but a screwdriver pushing counter clockwise usually gets them to turn.
AFter those nuts are out, pull the radio face plate off.
Then you'll see some plastic plugs holding the radio plate in place, those just pop out (be gentle). With those out the radio will simply side out.

You can get the code from a Jaguar dealer, just be sure you have your Vin number. If nothing else it will help you should you decide to stay original (my vote), or sell the factory radio.

Good luck........

David Boger
www.EverydayXJ.com

mos33c20 03-21-2009 05:28 PM

Hi David,

Thanks, I was thinking that, MAYBE, the whole black panel might be the key to getting to the radio. If I can get the code from a Jaguar dealer then I may keep the factory set. I usually just listen to the radio anyway.

Thanks,
Dave

davidboger 03-21-2009 06:46 PM

I recently got a code from a radio pulled in a scrap yard. All the dealership needed was the year and vin information.

I'd stick with the factory radio, and then consider an FM modulator/CD changer. You'll be able to have the best of both worlds. Mount the CD changer in the boot, put the wiring up to the ashtray, and noone will be none the wiser.

David
www.EverydayXJ.com

mos33c20 03-26-2009 05:16 PM

Got the code

Well, I had to pull the radio to get the serial number before the dealership could get me the code but I finally got it and everything is good.

David mentioned an FM modulator/CD player - could I get some more information on that, and where would I find one?

Thanks,
Dave

davidboger 03-26-2009 06:57 PM

Hi Dave,

Here is some information that was given to me by someone on the Jaglovers list. With his permission, I'll paste it here:

"In my restorations of Series III cars I am always concerned with maintaining 100% visual authenticity. That means that the original radio units must stay in place and be functional. But on several of these cars I have installed the boot-mounted CD changer. The only way to do this and to maintain the original radio unit is to install a FM-modulator CD changer. The units I installed were all Pioneer units because they are compact and the installation is very neat in the Series III cars; everything is hidden. These units operate through the FM band of the radio unit; the performance is excellent. The CD unit is controlled by a specific FM frequency; there are two controllers. One is wired and the wires come through the console and into the ashtray from underneath. The other controller is very small and wireless. This wireless controller works in conjunction with the wired unit so the ashtray lid must be open at least a “crack”. The whole thing is elegant and best of all, not expensive – about $250 several years ago, as I remember. With the ashtray closed, it is entirely invisible."

"Yes, the FM modulator CD changer in the boot works through the FM band of the original radio. And it will work with a manual or digital push-button tuner. And yes, indeed it can work with the 84 radio – in fact I did two cars with that radio/CD combination (one 82 and one 84 – they used the same radio unit)."

End quote....

I did look on Ebay for used ones, and found plenty for less than $100. Should be a simple setup.

Hope it helps....

David