Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Replace Wiper Motor (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/replace-wiper-motor-61981/)

alyree 10-11-2011 06:32 PM

Replace Wiper Motor

I finally have all windows sunroof working, also engine is running smooth as silk. I was just about to take the Jag out for it's first ride in 6 years and i went to turn on the windshield wipers and nothing. I probably shouldn't take it out in the rain anyway.....lol, but this being my first ride in it I was so bummmed. Okay now for the question, WHERE IS THE WIPER MOTOR???? ...lol, the schematics I have show it on the passanger side but is it behind the glovebox or under the dash?

Hopefully it will quit raining this week....It is a 84 xj6

Grant Francis 10-12-2011 05:10 AM

OK, I reckon yours is LHD.

I have NO IDEA on LHD, but on RHD it is tucked in the body aperture alongside the battery. Later models here had a plastic cover over it, but it is there, same as the S2 cars.

Maybe LHD have it in the same side??, or it may be on the RH side. Someone in your part of the globe will answer it soon.

davidboger 10-12-2011 06:19 AM

HI Robert..

As Grant says, it's beside the battery, tucked into the body just a bit..

But chances are slim it's the motor itself... A majority of the time it's the wiper switch, and could be as simple as a fuse... Can't remember which one off the top of my head, but there is a fuse for the wiper motor. Check the illustration on the schuttle panel door...

There is also a ground on the wiper motor. I've seen that come loose or break, so check it too...

The way I check the motors here while on the car is I have the female part of the wiring harness off of another car... So I disconnect it from the questionable motor, connect the loose wiring harness, and jump straight to a battery... Like I say, the majority of the time the motors are good, unless they've been subject to a lot of water.

David
EverydayXJ.com

alyree 10-12-2011 08:30 PM

Guys thanks very much for the info, it was very useful. Replaced the fuse and checked to make sure I was getting power to the motor and I was but still no wipers. I was standing there and it hit me, the car has been sitting for a while so I took a hammer to it and I swear it started working. Now I just need a new driver side wiper arm, it is stripped and moves when and where it wants too. David do you have one?

Grant Francis 10-13-2011 06:16 AM

AHA, you will go well with Jaguar young man.

The ability to think "outside the square" and actually take a hammer to it without spending dollars on "stuff", is a priority learning most are reluctant to teach.

WELL DONE.

Fraser Mitchell 10-13-2011 03:34 PM

It could be either be the wheel box cog that is stripped or worn out, or the splines on the box spindle. This is nothing to do with the wiper arm which fits onto the wheel box spindle. Of course the spliines on the wiper arm itself could be stripped, which is an easy fix - you just replace the wiper arm ! Replacing wheel boxes is more involved; I sometimes think the XJ saloon was built around the wiper boxes and the heater unit. (Only kidding !!!)

The Lucas wiper system in use from the 50s onwards, uses a rack cable inside a tube that is pushed to and fro by the wiper motor. Each wheel box clamps onto the rack tube and has a spindle with the cog at one end engaging on the rack, and the other end has a soft-metal spline piece on which the blade fixes, some have a bolt to secure, some are just push on. I can't remember what the XJ6 has but it is unchanged since 1968. Replacing the wheel boxes involves taking off the dash top as I remember it, as they are inside the car, whereas the motor is in the engine bay.

davidboger 10-14-2011 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by alyree (Post 416263)
Guys thanks very much for the info, it was very useful. Replaced the fuse and checked to make sure I was getting power to the motor and I was but still no wipers. I was standing there and it hit me, the car has been sitting for a while so I took a hammer to it and I swear it started working. Now I just need a new driver side wiper arm, it is stripped and moves when and where it wants too. David do you have one?

Hey Robert....

Of course I have them.. :) And the wheel boxes too, should the need arise...
Just give me an email or a call, I'll be glad to help...

David
EverydayXJ.com
704-796-9902

alyree 10-21-2011 12:33 PM

David, I am waiting on a few other parts before I DRIVE it up to your place and see what parts you have for purchase. I will get back to you when it is on the road.

davidboger 10-22-2011 07:57 PM

Thanks... That sounds like a plan...
Pretty much if you can see it on your car, I'll have it here... With a few exceptions, of course... :)

David