Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Replacing Instrument Panel Bulbs (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/replacing-instrument-panel-bulbs-5268/)

Afflict 04-01-2008 02:49 PM

Replacing Instrument Panel Bulbs

Can anyone tell me step by step on how to replace/change outthe instrument panel bulbs in a 1980 Jaguar XJ6?

Keith 04-01-2008 06:07 PM

RE: Replacing Instrument Panel Bulbs

Depends on which ones your talking about. If its the ones around your gauges, you'll have to push in and turn the speedometer and tachometer. They'll come out after turning. You can then reach in the large holes left by the gauges, and reach the indivual bulbs. If your talking about the lower, AC controls, you have to go into the console, and you'll see the fiber optics running from below the shifter up towards the dash. Where they all join down by the shifter, you'll find a single bulb that furnishes light to all the fiber optics. Be very carefull with the fibers, they'll take a little movement, but no pulling or tugging. Hope this helps. Keith

Jose 04-02-2008 06:39 AM

RE: Replacing Instrument Panel Bulbs

also, do not install a larger than specification bulb in the OptiCell (fiber optic) unit because it will burn the ends of the fibers and then you get little if any illumination. I think it's 5 watt max.

You can install a special LED for this OptiCell unit sold by a business called "V12's".

It is supposed to improve the fiber optic lighting to the ignition and headlamp switches, which are the two farthest strands of fibers from the OptiCell housing. However it costs around $16.00, so I'm waiting for the price to drop...

Jose

Tanner87 01-28-2014 04:42 PM

1 more...

Hey, this is helpful, but I'm trying to replace my bulbs in the instrument panel too, on my 1992 xj6. The lights, I believe, shine onto the panel, and are not installed behind the instruments. Any idea of how to access this?

I might have to remove most of the sections from the glove compartment over to the steering wheel, but I'm not sure.

Any help would be appreciated!

Anfield Dreaming 01-29-2014 04:36 AM

Is the procedure the same for series 2 and series 3?

Jose 01-29-2014 09:03 AM

I'm familiar with the Series 3, 1980-1992 (although I've read the Series 3 started in 1979½).

push-in the Speedo or Tach by the metal ring, (not the glass), then turn them to the right or left, (clockwise or counter-clockwise), to release them from their catches, then pull them out carefully.

Doug 01-29-2014 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Tanner87 (Post 899672)
Hey, this is helpful, but I'm trying to replace my bulbs in the instrument panel too, on my 1992 xj6.

A 1992 XJ6 would the XJ40 model. I suggest posting your question in that section. It's more likely that the right people will see it

Cheers
DD