Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Is this the right head? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/right-head-67793/)

Benhamtroll 02-06-2012 01:22 PM

Is this the right head?

I saw this on ebay, but without more info I'm not sure if it is the correct head for my '84 XJ-6.

Could anyone tell me by looking at it?

Thanks!

Doug 02-06-2012 03:35 PM

To the best of my knowledge, no, it isn't.

It would fit and probably work "Ok" but the Ser III 4.2s used larger valves than the earlier 4.2 cars/engines.

Someone with more detailed info will come along.

Cheers
DD

NBCat 02-06-2012 11:21 PM

The short answer is no.

While this cylinder head will most likely fit your engine correctly, the condition of the head will require additional machine shop work to reduce the possibility of a leaking head gasket.

Without a closer view, the area of the headgasket mating area around the no. 6 cylinder and timing cover appear to be corroded or pitted. If there is substantial pitting of the surface, additional aluminium will need to be welded to the head to fill in the areas of corrosion and the head machined to make the surface smooth again to reduce the possibility of a blown headgasket or coolant leaks.

If the camshafts are from a carburetted head, they cannot be used with your '84 XJ6 having EFI as the cam lobe profiles are incorrect for that application. In addition, the correct cams and tappets will need to be fitted and the clearances adjusted. Another area in need of attention on this head for it to work with a later XJ6 such as yours is installation of tappet hold-down plates.

In my opinion, it would be far easier to purchase a 'remanufactured' cylinder head that is ready-to-install and correct for your vehicle from a reputable vendor.

NBCat

Benhamtroll 02-07-2012 10:51 AM

Thanks for the input. I'm going to be checking with a local Jag shop about it. I may be able to get something locally that will do the job. If I can ever get the damned hood open again.

NBCat 02-07-2012 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Benhamtroll (Post 466132)
... If I can ever get the damned hood open again.

You may have already tried this, but I've found that having someone else pull the release while you strike the area of the bonnet (hood) just above the locking mechanism with the palm of your hand often does the trick!

You may want to check with Internet vendors for 'remanufactured' cylinder heads that come ready to bolt onto the block with the cams installed and valve clearances correctly adjusted. Motorcars Ltd and Jagbits are just two that come to mind.

NBCat

Fraser Mitchell 02-09-2012 11:41 AM

extract from the advert

There Are No Cam Caps It Has The Fittings For An Air Rail So It Must Of Came Off A Car With A Fresh Air Pump I Believe These Have The Larger Valves And People Put Them On Earlier Engines

Apart from possibly not being a large-valve head, (which were fitted on Series 3s), the cam bearing caps are stated as missing. Looking at it shows it looks like a large valve head to me, but only measurement can tell you.
If you have a set of bearing caps they will not match to the head, as each set is machined with its head in the factory, so you would have to get a few thou off the caps, then get them bolted on and line bored by an engineering shop that has the right machinery.

A dodgy purchase in my view.