Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Running A Little Warm At 130mph; Resolved! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/running-little-warm-130mph%3B-resolved-129906/)

LnrB 10-28-2014 02:28 PM

Running A Little Warm At 130mph; Resolved!

While returning from the last Jaguar Club meet (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2014-a-129202/) I found myself on an open straight stretch of road and decided to Really test Nix's new tires.

It was a beautiful morning, the sky was clear and the air was cool, no need for AC. Temperature needle sat where it usually does, just a hair below the N of NORMAL.

As I accelerated nearer top end, however, the needle began to move ever so slightly. By the time we reached about 130 the needle sat squarely on the O! The temperature was continuing to climb so I backed off and the needle dropped back below N. Hmm.

That usually happens only when the ambient is around 100F, in Stop & Go traffic in town, with the AC on full. I sort of expect it then, certainly not on the open road on a cool morning! It hasn't happened since that time so I kept it in the back of my mind to investigate later.

I was cleaning the bugs off the grill this morning and noticed the bug screen which I placed in front of the AC condenser was full of straw! Really!! I wasn't concerned about that because that's the reason I put it there. But as I was removing the screen for cleaning I happened to see the space between the two cores and the radiator behind the condenser is also about half plugged with straw! Oh, this is Not Good! It had got around the screen between the two elements!! And then the Light Bulb went on.

It's Rice harvest in the Central Valley. Farmers aren't allowed to burn the straw so they're baling the stuff. Rice Straw isn't like hay, the stalks are very slick and don't stay confined in bales very well. Add to that the bales are HUGE; nearly the size of my car!

As we were traveling to the Jaguar meet, very early that Saturday morning, a flat bed big rig loaded to its height limit with rice straw bales pulled out about 1/4 mile ahead of us into a clear space on the road (the main arterial in this area). Straw was literally Falling off even without the help of road wind and it was a Huge Mess! I backed off quite far (for me) but had to follow that load of straw for several miles.

When we got to Merced I noticed straw stuck in the wipers but I didn't even think about the radiator because I had a screen in front of it. Live and learn!

So I've added another item to my list of things to do this Winter. Fortunately I don't think I have to break into the AC, just loosen the condenser mounting bolts and let it fall forward on the flexible hoses. Then hopefully I can get the straw out of the radiator, because otherwise there's going to be an Enormous problem next July.

So I guess my heating issue isn't really resolved, but I know the reason for it and what I'm going to have to do about it. That's almost as good.
(';')

JagCad 10-28-2014 03:30 PM

Yup, the correct diagnosis is a lot of the way home.

You might try probing around with the shop vac.

Or, from the rear, f you can with that super leaf blower!!!

At least down between the AC condenser and the radiator.

Sidebar. The CVC prohibits the discharge of any substance on the road except, cold clear water and chicken feathers. Suppose a lobby was there???

And, at last, the dirt trucks must tarp their loads. More lobby?

Mine is on dead line til the starter gets here.

I'll nt mess with the speedo electrics til I get past lying on y back and working upwards. And, because of my adventure with my ramps, I think I'll go jack and stands. In either case. two chocks on the rear wheels.

And, I may dig out my air rachet and cobble up some hose. haven't fired my compressor in ages, I hope... But, I have a big one and a smaller one. One oughta work.

Carl.

LnrB 10-29-2014 09:47 AM

Thank you, Carl, (and Grant)
I don't think there's space in there for a shop vac, maybe my house vacuum as it has a much smaller snoozle. I know there's NO WAY I could get my blower in there!

I'm thinking of slipping a cardboard between the 2 elements and shooting an air gun on the fan side though, and blow the stuff forward. Hopefully the cardboard will keep most (ALL) of the straw out of the back side of the condenser.

I really don't way to flatten any fins on either core. I've seen that happen. It was pretty grim.
(';')