XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S1 Firewall Insulation

Old 05-17-2017, 10:25 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default S1 Firewall Insulation

Hey everyone, I always seem to be in and out of this forum but I don't know why, Jaguar enthusiasts seem to be the best and most welcoming! Anyway, i meant to get my '73 XJ6 running over the Winter, but it was especially cold for entirely too long... So here I am. Spring is here, and I am getting this baby running again!

My question is: How necessary is that firewall insulation? I'm not sure if Series 2 and 3 cars have the same stuff, but it's that foam stuff with aluminum glued to it. I ripped mine off because it's all torn up anyway, and would rather just clean and paint the surface, but want this car to be comfortable to drive without excess road noise. Would I be alright without it, or does it make that much of a difference?

Also, anyone know where to find the paint code for the F-Type's British Racing Green? It looks a lot different than my car (which I don't think can be attributed to sun fade and age, but maybe I'm wrong).

Thanks everyone!

Old 05-18-2017, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts

I used B-Quiet on my firewall (cannot see it as I did not take a photo in this old picture before installing the engine) and from the inside of the interior near the gas pedal all the way to and including the rear package tray. Plus inside the doors and under the headliner.. it makes the car much quieter and cooler in the summer. Plus all the fuel lines are wrapped with heat insulation from the tanks to the front of the TBI throttle body.

There are no photos of the insulation under the headliner as the upholstery guy did that area when making the new headliner.. taking photos of the doors only shows a little window of space but there is insulation from top to bottom and from side to side = makes a lot of noise difference.. Will update the door photo(s) when I install the remote door lock solenoid in the drivers door next week.

The new BRG is much more metallic than the original BRG - I just had mine repainted with the original '71 color code paint. That new code is out there:

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/tou...r/2013/f-type/

Attached Thumbnails S1 Firewall Insulation-imag1678.jpg   S1 Firewall Insulation-imag1722.jpg   S1 Firewall Insulation-passenger-side-view.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 05-18-2017 at 08:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Civicalized (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 10:23 AM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Awesome, thank you! I did search for the code some yesterday but i either kept getting the same paint code for my version of BRG, or just simply that they were "British Racing Green". That will help!

As far as sound deadener, I think i will go the same route you did with yours. I used similar stuff in my '65 Ford pickup because it sounded like you were in a tin can, and it made a difference. If i remember right it was easy to work with as well. I really do appreciate your help!

Old 05-18-2017, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

Dont know if it will help at all, try dropping the British, my cars paint code.is just racing green..
Good luck

Last edited by Darrenmb; 05-18-2017 at 03:47 PM.