Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   S3 87 Charcoal Canister (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/s3-87-charcoal-canister-210870/)

chrisleg 11-19-2018 07:22 PM

S3 87 Charcoal Canister

Hello!

Working my way around the car and changing a few hoses etc

Could someone please tell me how often should one change the charcoal canister, if ever or can it be cleaned???

What type are the hoses and ID? Are they of a special type?

Also Do i need to change the valves that are there also?

Thank you!

LnrB 11-19-2018 07:42 PM

I don't know Anyone who has Ever changed out the charcoal canister.
Ever.
On Any vehicle so equipped.

It merely needs to be present to satisfy the Smog Cops. They don't care if it actually works (in most areas but your location may be different) and it has no effect on engine performance.

Hoses are nothing special other than vacuum hoses of good quality and condition (vacuum leaks cause rough running as I'm sure you're aware). They're not expensive and are available at just about any parts house.

If you're unsure of the size, clip off a short length as an example and take it to the store. It's sold by the foot.

Someone familiar with Series 3 specifically will have to comment on the valves. Generally though, if they rattle they are working fine.
(';')

chrisleg 11-19-2018 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by LnrB (Post 1990986)
I don't know Anyone who has Ever changed out the charcoal canister.
Ever.
On Any vehicle so equipped.

It merely needs to be present to satisfy the Smog Cops. They don't care if it actually works (in most areas but your location may be different) and it has no effect on engine performance.

Hoses are nothing special other than vacuum hoses of good quality and condition (vacuum leaks cause rough running as I'm sure you're aware). They're not expensive and are available at just about any parts house.

If you're unsure of the size, clip off a short length as an example and take it to the store. It's sold by the foot.

Someone familiar with Series 3 specifically will have to comment on the valves. Generally though, if they rattle they are working fine.
(';')

Thanks for the info LnrB

I will have a close look at it this week, work forgiving.

I have a NAPA store around the corner so will take a sample as you suggested.

Jose 11-20-2018 04:50 AM

I changed mine one time just for fun. The new one was shiny clean and it looked nicer.

But not the hoses or check valves. I did paint the bracket though.

chrisleg 11-20-2018 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jose (Post 1991109)
I changed mine one time just for fun. The new one was shiny clean and it looked nicer.

But not the hoses or check valves. I did paint the bracket though.

Hi Jose!

I plan to change up the hoses and clean out the valves while i am at it.

Was going to get a new canister but the more i look around and read the less i think its necessary. But who knows. If i get one new dirt cheap i may do it!

Jose 11-21-2018 04:36 AM

Chris, no maintenance is required on the charcoal canister or the check valves or even the hoses,

what you could do is go to an Aquarium supply and get the charcoal bags they sell, it is the same principle. You would have to open the canister to replace the charcoal and the result is: nothing gained.