Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   S3 xj6 bumper strut removal...how? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/s3-xj6-bumper-strut-removal-how-63004/)

monqc 11-03-2011 12:14 PM

S3 xj6 bumper strut removal...how?

Hello forum,
I am new here. I have an '86 xj6 (s3) and I need to remove the bumper struts (aka bumper shocks) at the front and rear.
I am all out of ideas. Haynes manual offers none (only the obvious "unscrew bolt and remove"....but I need to know how to access those bolts...geezz)

SO here are the problems.

I can see the strut bolts at the front, but they look nearly impossible to access...how does one do it? (it is sooo tight in there)

I have no idea how to access the rear bolts. (I already removed the gass tank covers to no avail...my next move is the mufflers, but I want to be sure 1st)

Also what size are these bolts? It seems that 5/8 is too small and 17mm too big. (I had an excruciating, failed trial at the front left strut, and felt that I was unable to grab or was stripping the bolt (respectively for both sizes).)

Any help is appreciated.

Fraser Mitchell 11-03-2011 04:10 PM

The US cars have these 5 mph bump struts, but my UK '80 didn't as European cars have rigid fixings, but I did take out the long bolts that subsitiute for them. It is so long ago (1990 !!), that I can't remember, but I would bet the rear strut bolt is somewhere in the spare wheel well. There is a cover for covering the fuel pump and changeover valve. Take this off and have a look. Undoing the rear nuts should allow you to remove the bumper. If it aint there, then I'm stumped.

monqc 11-04-2011 01:51 PM

Yes, I have tryed that and there is no access to them via the trunk. It is solid frame all the way.
It is a logical suggestion though... I wish these bumpers were logical.
It seems they were an afterthought, to meet US leg. (and they were just thrown on, not very compatible with the existing design).

sneal46 11-05-2011 08:25 AM

I have done this. Here is a thread I wrote on the procedure.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...uropean-46009/

I will say that removing the pistons is time consuming but you can do it. I have not tackled the rear bumpers yet but it appears as if the bolts are accessed by removing the exhaust tips and using an articulating wrench or socket to take off the pistons.

Scott

monqc 11-06-2011 02:20 PM

Thanks, my tip, and another question

Ok...so it is that tricky. I have tried this, but thought that there was surely a special tool to access those bolts. They are so tight and difficult to grasp...and then there is the problem of limited space to torque the wrench...not to mention the awkward position (I got to them from above, if there is an easier way please let me know)

Anyway, looks like its back to the shop for me (after my school work of course).
But at least now, I know it can be done, so I can persist with more confidence, so Thank you.

I did the rears yesterday. It is easiest to remove the last mufflers entirely, along with the mounting bracket (two sets of two bolts in the trunk--on either side, towards the back...). Then, the newly created cavity accomodates a drill (with an extender perhaps). I had to use an impact drill, as my bolts were badly stuck & rusty. (the screw is also excruciatingly long, I couldn't imagine doing it by hand).

p.s. Do you use a special wench to undo the front strut bolts? and is there some vantage entry angle?

sneal46 11-06-2011 08:07 PM

I am guessing the engineers never intended for the struts to be taken off which is why it is tricky/tedious. I cut down an old wrench to about 6 in to reduce the room necessary to maneuver. Other than that, it is just wriggling around a little bit at a time. Eventually you will find the right angles and pattern to turn the nut. Getting the pass side back on it much harder than the drivers side due to the limited space. Small hands help so find someone that has them to get the nut started again. Or use a magnet with your wrench.

monqc 11-07-2011 07:02 AM

Cool, Thanks.