Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Saved from the wreckers (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/saved-wreckers-127664/)

Stoney85 09-30-2014 06:52 AM

Saved from the wreckers

So I just recently got given an '85 S3 Jaguar Sovereign, that was a non runner and has enough cancer in it to scare most away.

The plan is to get it running and mechanically fine, assess its condition and go from there. I have 3 MK2 Jaguars, none run and have plans to restore at least one or two of them, along with an early S-type as well. And i was thinking this driveline would be a nice little modern upgrade compared to the mis matched engine number MK2 i have, fit the IRS, change the front steering crossmember over once ive modded it to suit and so.

Anyway, all of that will be in the future, still dont have a shed big enough to tackle all of this, that issue is trying to be rectified asap.

So firstly what is the difference between this Sovereign and an XJ6?

Since owning it, i have cleaned out the fuel tanks, bypassed the RHS one as its beyond repair from rust, replaced the seized fuel pump and got it running, as it couldnt start on gas, needed initial start on fuel.

As it was dual fuel, it runs a lot better on gas than it does petrol, im assuming that has to do with timing setup for gas, bad fuel (filtered though) in the tank which im yet to replace with new, one of a few vacuum leaks, clogged injectors, AFM faulty, cold start etc etc, basically any of the common issues with an EFI XJ6.

Yet to dive into why the fuel pump is constantly running even when switched to gas, bad switching relay wiring i guess.

Other than that, ive cleaned it inside and out, so i no longer have to work with large aussie sized spiders hanging around, and aired out 3 years of "stale sealed up cabin"

Initially though there was no brakes, crawled under and bled them quickly with a mate, to get pedal back before the tow truck would bring it over to my place.

Once up on 4 jack stands and the wheels were off, i rebled the system, but the front (4piston) calipers are stuck on now. Liberally sprayed with CRC, let soak, keeping spray away from pads mind you.

Checked all fluids, pressure washed underneath, and took it for a drive up the street.

Short of the front calipers dragging then slowly releasing after 50metres, then dragging again once reapplied, it seems to go ok, rev up fine, only vibration is from a busted engine mount.

I removed the air pump and it was just leaking, dodgily plugged the pipe to the head, does anyone know the thread size of the 6 air injection ports? so i can plug it properly.

I have ordered a long roll of new vacuum hose, seemed silicon was cheaper off ebay, so i'll redo all the perished vacuum hoses, clean up all the earths etc, and hopefully that will help somewhat when it comes to fixing the running issues with petrol.

So as of now, there isnt grand plans for this old girl, i'll give it a quick exterior detail, as the paint looks good underneath 3 years of neglect, apart from the rust around the rear screen which is repairable.

Fix the front brakes, is there any possible ideas on that before i strip and rebuild them. Was thinking of taking out the pads and manually pushing the pistons back into the calipers and doing that a few times and hoping for the best, with the fluid nipple open.

Well that was a very long winded saga, i'll try get some pics up tomorrow of the old girl

Grant Francis 09-30-2014 07:24 AM

Damn, a free Jag, awesome.

Sov versus XJ is basically only trim and rear map lights, etc, nothing mechanically different. Much like Aussie Commodore versus Calais.

I would get some seal kits for the front calipers, and you may need new pistons (JagDaim in Melbourne), and DO NOT split the 2 halves of those calipers. I repeat, DO NOT split the 2 halves of those calipers. There is a specially shaped o/ring seal in there that I have NEVER been able to find. The pistons will come out of each half without doing that split. I use compressed air, and keep the fingers out of the way.

Stoney85 09-30-2014 05:47 PM

Cant argue with a free Jag!!

Yeah I figured i'd have to rebuild the brakes, not a huge concern, just more time.

Thanks for the heads up, I wouldnt split them unless i was going to powdercoat them, what do other people do in that situation, powdercoat the whole unit, internal seals and all?

o1xjr 10-01-2014 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Stoney85 (Post 1068877)
So I just recently got given an '85 S3 Jaguar Sovereign, that was a non runner and has enough cancer in it to scare most away.

Nick, Congratulations on saving an unloved XJ6. I'm a sucker for acquirig unloved vehicles. Good luck with your 5 Jags and new shed(still to come)
See you in Ballina on the 19th, looking forward to meeting some members from the other state.
:icon_beerchug: