Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Series 1 diff question (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/series-1-diff-question-116822/)

o1xjr 04-29-2014 04:54 AM

Series 1 diff question

4 Attachment(s)
Hi, I have a Salisbury C4HU diff, can someone please tell me which way the oil slinger goes back on the pionion?
I didn't get a shot of it before came apart, and the exploded views don't show which way up it goes.

Picture "A" or picture "B", from memory I think "A" the correct way. But it pays to make sure.

Thank you in advance

:icon_beerchug:

icsamerica 04-29-2014 09:50 PM

not a slinger

That's a oil baffle, it should cup the bearing race because it's job is to help oil to collect behind it so the bearing stays well lubricated.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav..._9_5100-00.jpg

Have a look at this link above.. click to zoom in near #6

o1xjr 04-30-2014 05:42 AM

Hi icsamerica. the link you gave is showing as "403 forbidden".
Manual I have calls it oil slinger, but baffle is fine as long it is the same part.

So,you are saying picture B is correct?

Cheers

icsamerica 04-30-2014 08:09 AM

Check this page out near the bottom, there is an exploded view of a Dana 44 which you can click to enlarge.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/

My understanding is the slinger is flat and a baffle is stepped. In high pinion angle application the slinger is used to splash up oil. In low pinion angle and low oil level applications where drag is a consideration the baffle is used to retain the oil. Seems like you have a baffle in your line of sight and slinger in the manual so that's why it looks flat. What manual are you using? It wouldn't be the first time the manual didn't match the real world. Often a production line change happens and an addendum is issued which you may not have access to. Perhaps it was changed for some reason at some point. Or perhaps someone more familiar with Dana 44 already rebuilt it. Who knows for sure... a lot can happen over 40 years. Luckily there is no shortage of info on the Dana 44, the Salsbury's close relative. When I rebuilt mine I used Dana 44 side bearings, limited slip carrier and other Dana parts because the Salsbury stuff is becoming unobtainium.

SOAP BOX WARNING!!!!
I've worked on lots of cars over the years, new and old. The 70's jaguar manuals are terribly inadequate. Its like they expect you to know and is probably the reason the service and reliability was so poor then. Repairs are difficult to effect properly that way. If you check the manuals for the series 3 they are much more detailed and complete. When I traveled more in the Porsche circles the manual were complete and correct with very precise specifications for everything. The manuals were traded as a set and if you wanted a manual you purchased a complete set with addendums. There's a different culture about repairs.

o1xjr 04-30-2014 08:32 AM

10 Attachment(s)
I have Intereurope manual and Bently manual. Intereurope mentions slinger. Bently shows flat disc as does the other (looks like same pic).
I'll post some pics soon, maybe you can shed some light.

From the wear marks these pics look like the way it goes together.
:icon_toast:

Doug 04-30-2014 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by icsamerica (Post 965243)
SOAP BOX WARNING!!!!
I've worked on lots of cars over the years, new and old. The 70's jaguar manuals are terribly inadequate. Its like they expect you to know and is probably the reason the service and reliability was so poor then.

Amen, brother

I've often mentioned that the poor technical literature almost certainly contributed to the poor repair/reliability/servicing reputation of Jags. It really wasn't until the late 80s, IMO, that things started getting better.....although still not as good as the better manuals I've used.

If you dig, though, you can find some really useful repair info in Jaguar's Technical Service and Parts Bulletins, technician training books, model year 'technical updates' books, etc. but I'm not sure if many of those resources are out there for pre-1980s Jags.

Cheers
DD

JagCad 04-30-2014 09:13 AM

At times, one must just think it out. In this case, is this piece here as a slinger adjacent to a seal and purposed to keep at least some of the lube away from the seal and as such less likely to leak. Or, to throw lube back into the bearing and assure adequate lubrication.

Truth is either way would probably do just fine in real life.

Manuals, oh yeah. I've had several. presently, Haynes for the Jaguar. Probably most is a copy of Jaguar originals. Horrible organization making it more confusing than. helpful. Excerpts from the real thing. organization fair, lacking in detail!!

Jeep manual. Well organized and fairly well detailed. Interestingly, son and I perused it for guidance in replacing the ball joints in his big Cummins powered Dodge 4x4.
The little Dana 35 was a miniature version of the Dana 60 in the Dodge.

Cadillac manual. Extremely well organized and with great detail. I used it a lot in my lump process. Mostly for the electrics. The diagnostic flow charts are outstanding.

In about 1950, I worked after school in a small self service Texaco station. An old time mechanic had an adjoining space. The VA offered an apprentice training program. Mr. Brewster, who was a classmates Dad, took in Oscar, a returning marine vet. Oscar learned engines, transmissions, brakes, clutches, etc under the tutelage of the old pro. he was the last apprentice. the one before Oscar went on to open his own shop. Some of Mr. Brewster's knowledge rubbed off on me. I don't recall seeing any manuals there!!!!

But, Texaco did publish a simple manual as to the lubrication points on various cars. I did learn to use them. it gave me a sense of where to look in various critters since then, including the Jaguar!!

In army service, I was introduced to a plethora of manuals covering almost anything!!! Most were quite good.

Carl

o1xjr 04-30-2014 09:28 AM

Carl, from looking at the wear marks and the way it all fits up I think it can only go back one way. That is from years of pulling down gears etc on old printing presses with little or no tech support from people or manuals.
Doing a dummy fit up with the old parts I think I have it right but thought I might just throw the question out there for a consensus anyway.
I will know for sure tomorrow at the risk of $30 worth of seals.

icsamerica 04-30-2014 09:44 AM

I found this...

I think this will clear it up. It's from the Series 1 parts catalogue.

https://plus.google.com/109797383394...ts/ZBPcPrZ6RoY

o1xjr 04-30-2014 03:36 PM

Thanks icsamaerica, exactly the picture I needed.
Will be getting to work as soon as I finish my coffee.

o1xjr 05-01-2014 01:11 AM

Sorted

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the input, diff back in cradle now.

:icon_toast: