XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Series 1 & Series 2 Body Parts exchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 03:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Series 1 & Series 2 Body Parts exchangeable?

I know some people will probably hate me for even asking this lol but I was wondering if it is possible to fit a Series 1 front end on a Series 2 XJ12 Sedan. I love the looks of the larger grille so much I might consider a swap if it is even possible/feasible. Same question goes for the bumpers (I hate those big ugly rubber things uglying up my beautiful car) and the front doors as I have NO CLUE what they were thinking to stop making the vent windows functional so I'd like to swap in some front doors with opening vent windows lol seems really dumb to take away an awesome feature the car used to have xD anyways thanks for any and all help and sorry to you car purists out there I just love my Jag and want to make it exactly the way I like since hopefully I will never have to part with it so I don't care much about the value.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you've got rubber bumpers are you sure you have a series 2 and not a series 3? over here in Aus we didn't get big bumpers with rubber until the series 3. I believe series 1 doors will fit a series 2, from what I can tell the hinge points for the bonnet and the bumper mounts themselves will be lower on a series 1 so some heavy modification would be needed. When I first started looking at XJs I considered doing the same with the bonnet and bumper, but now that I've owned my series 2 for a while I find it so much more aesthetically balanced than the series 1

Old 01-31-2013, 07:33 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

If it's a series 2 (which the 76 should be) then maybe look for some series 2 chrome bumpers for it. You can get stainless steel ones which some people like or prefer.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:16 PM
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Default parts

The rear bumper from a S1 will not fit a S2.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:14 AM

Cool well I will probably just try to find some that will work.. I think, in my research, that they didn't start using the rubber bumpers here in the US until '75 so perhaps i can find a '74 Series 2 and ****** the bumpers off of that.

I am still curious about the front doors if the front doors from a Series 1 would fit my Series 2 so I can have a functioning vent window. If anybody knows this it would be much appreciated.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:54 AM

anybody?

Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts

The part number for a series 2 door shell are JS671 for r/h and JS672 for l/h. Can't help with the seies1.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default SII XJ has rubber bumpers

My SII XJ has rubber bumpers, front and rear. I had front and rear bumpers from a UK car (sold them) to exchange.

But my car is too rusted to maintain and is for sale now with the 383/700R as a conversion candidate for another Jaguar.

I have added photos of a SII with the chrome UK bumpers and an engine photo of my SII.

Attached Thumbnails Series 1 & Series 2 Body Parts exchangeable?-01010006.jpg   Series 1 & Series 2 Body Parts exchangeable?-75-sii-uk-bumpers.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: doc
74XJC with UK bumpers.doc (861.5 KB, 174 views)
Old 02-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts

My 1976 Series 2 in UK has chromium rear bumpers and over-riders, also chromium front bumpers with chromium under-riders and chromium over-riders with a black rubber square set in.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:04 PM

Ok so a new question/update.. I scored big time (assuming they will still be there when I can make it back out) and found a Series 2 in a local junkyard that has the front doors with functioning vent windows AND a chrome rear bumper!! Sadly, the front bumper was rubber and ugly just like mine.. strange to have the chrome rear and the rubber front *shrugs*

Anyways, my question is this.. How do I remove the bottom bolt of the door? I spent over an hour at the junkyard trying to pull the door off just to find out that I couldn't get to that 1 bolt!! It's the one in the bottom latch where it bolts to the door.. The top latch has 4 bolts (got those off no problem) but the bottom only has 3 bolts and the one I am having problems with is the very bottom bolt, not the top 2 of the bottom latch. If anybody could help me with this I will love you forever haha I am so worried that somebody else might grab the doors and the bumper before I go back or that they might just crush it!

Old 02-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,937 Posts

I think you have to take the front wing off, as I remember it.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

you can get at it without removing the wing (I have done it) but it is a bit of a nightmare, turning the bold 1 flat at a time

Old 02-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Received 262 Likes on 127 Posts

Fraiser is absolutely correct... The easiest way to get at the door hinges is with the fenders off... I know at a junkyard you can be a little rough on the other parts.. So what I'd consider is taking the two bolts off that hold the fender in place in the door opening.. And the two bolts that are under the splash guard that hold the bottom of the fender in place. Then you should be able to pull the fender out enough to get to the door hinges..

As others have noted, US cars use different bumpers between Series 1 and 2, and also US vs Rest of World.. If the Series 2 you are looking at has the chrome rear bumper in place, you need to get every bracket and mounting point that will come off, with it when you take it off.. Same with the front if you ever find one..
The Series 2 UK bumper makes the car look fabulous, but they are scarce in the US.. The Series 1 bumper won't easily work because the mounting, and hinge for the bonnet are different. If you find the Series 2 UK bumper, you also need the UK bonnet hinges to make it all work..

Cheers
David Boger
Everyday XJ

The following users liked this post:
DreWRoolZ (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 07:10 AM

thanks, man that's alot of help I will try and get out there this weekend if the weather permits and grab what I can, if it's still there

Old 03-07-2013, 07:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can fit a series 1 bonnet to both a series 2 and 3 . series 2 is a straight swap with both hinges and bonnet off the series 1 fitting into the series 2. With the series 3 with the rubber bars same thing except the inner guard supports need to have a bolt welded to the inside as they originally bolt through the hinge and the series 1 hinge hasn't got a hole through it . the only thing I found is that the series 1 bonnet is a bit shorter than the 3 and you end up with a bit wider gap at the top of the bonnet . you have to use series 1 front bumper and a series 2 rear bumper will fit instead of the rubber bumper you just have to take out the mounts and fit series 2 ones . with putting doors on with the wind out quater glass . series 2 doors had the hole in the inner panel for the winder and the unit is a strait swap . have done the bonnet conversion to my 87 XJ12 but instead of chrome bars I fitted a front and rear spoiler

Old 07-03-2013, 02:11 PM

FWIW I have everything needed to do a series 1 front end conversion, pulled from a rust free CA car.

I am missing one of the foglamp grilles, otherwise everything is there. Also, one bonnet pin is broken, but that is not impossible to fix. Perfect bonnet hinges and bumper are included. Again, everything is RUST FREE.

I am parting the entire car; it was T-boned on the drivers side at the bulkhead/drivers door. I am keeping the mechanicals but other items are available. Electrical items, passenger side doors, rear quarter panels, rear bumper, boot lid, etc. THIS CAR IS A MANUAL TRANSMISSION CAR, so I have the Series 1 clutch pedal assembly available. Also, the Series 1 only brake booster was rebuilt shorty before the car's demise and is in perfect working order.

I am entertaining reasonable local offers.

If anyone is interested please email me.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in the conversion parts (bonnet, hinges, bumper)
I'm in Long Beach

Old 08-06-2013, 01:50 PM

La Roca;

I cant send you a private message because your account will not allow it.

So if you can fix it, PM me off list and leave your contact info.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:28 PM

I'm a new member, account is restricted apparently.
Rock_stone@pacbell.net

Old 01-11-2014, 01:07 AM

I have a series 1 XJ and have thought of converting to a manual transmission. Do you still have your clutch pedal assembly and booster? pairajags@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: Series 1 & Series 2 Body Parts exchangeable?