Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Series 1 top radiator hose (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/series-1-top-radiator-hose-117963/)

o1xjr 05-17-2014 04:12 AM

Series 1 top radiator hose

10 Attachment(s)
I had a radiator hose blow out on my way to work today(looks all of its 40 years). Gave it the cut and tuck hoping to make it home after work,got half way,which was 400m from a Supercheap Auto Shop.
No luck, we can order you one,about 3 bus days. So had a dig around in their huge bin of top hoses. Found about 10 that looked like they might fit,proceeded to the checkout and gave them my keys so I could take them out to the car to see what would fit. Girl at the counter said "silver Jag?". "It's leaking coolant all over the drive".
No brainer Sherlock. I'm the dude with an arm full of radiator hoses.....

Anyway, I found that the hose for.
(CH2196)
Top Hose
Subaru
Liberty
LX122
OEM Party no 45167AA020

Was a perfect fit,and $10 cheaper.

Probably better fit than the original I took off. Slipped on after 25mm(1") trim

:icon_beerchug:

Grant Francis 05-17-2014 06:27 AM

Well done.

Radiator hoses on the early cars is simply not rocket science if you are prepared to get outside the box just a tad.

A Mazda 626/929 is the LH top for the V12's, EXACTLY the same and less than half the price.

The newer "octopus" type hoses are not so simple, which is a bugga.

o1xjr 05-17-2014 06:43 AM

I just had a dig through what they had and found something to do the job.
No rocket science,pure old fashoned fix it attitude.

The old boy did rub off a little. (as water tight s a fishes.............)

LnrB 05-17-2014 11:28 AM

Great news, Clarke!

My heater hose blew out one Winter evening, after dark of course, and I arrived in a cloud of steam. Heater hoses are not hard, but it seemed like a good idea to change everything since one already gave fair warning.

Top hose was one of those octopus ones Grant mentions, and it took 2 separate hoses cobbled together at the filler, but victory was achieved.

So, you're once again, On The Road!

Since I began hanging out in these Jaguar forums I have noticed quite a lot of attitude is required to keep these things running after 40 years.
(';')

Grant Francis 05-17-2014 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by LnrB (Post 977162)
Great news, Clarke!

Since I began hanging out in these Jaguar forums I have noticed quite a lot of attitude is required to keep these things running after 40 years.
(';')

Yep, and a REAL sense of humour helps immensly, along with copious amounts of alcohol prior to, and during such adventures.

LnrB 05-17-2014 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis (Post 977499)
Yep, and a REAL sense of humour helps immensly, along with copious amounts of alcohol prior to, and during such adventures.

Humor definitely, Grant!

Alcohol though, not while I'm working on my car. It puts me to sleep and when fixing something delicate (everything is delicate in some fashion on a Jaguar) I need Focus and all my wits about me.

Afterward, however, it's either Celebration or we have a Wake. Fortunately there are more celebrations here than wakes.
(';')

o1xjr 05-18-2014 12:18 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I've spent so much time in my Garage since owning this vehicle,(any other make may not have lasted this long).
Humor and alcohol certainly help. just can't road test until the next day.

Success today, first Sunday drive without a problem. no fire,no blown fuses,no water leaks,no trans shifting drama. Biggest problem I was the rain, just got to get those wipers sorted next. they work but the drivers side one moves the water around rather than wiping it away.

:icon_woot:

Grant Francis 05-18-2014 04:39 AM

Clarke,

Sunday drive?????, and based on the other "Sunday drives", I have a question.

WAS THE WIFE IN THE CAR??????????????

If so, you have sorted the car AND the wife.

o1xjr 05-18-2014 04:57 AM

Yeh, she was in the car. But she did suggest taking her Mazda though,since it's reliable.
I had to remind her that the Jag has only been towed home once.
The Mazda twice, two punctures at the same time,and a dead battery the other time.

JagCad 05-18-2014 08:22 AM

let me count the times: Jaguar style.

1. Coolant vanished and instruments failed to tell me of the upcoming disaster. Engine quit on the freeway. After a fashion and lots of water, it turned over but no start. Flatbed Stockton vicinity to Walnut Creek. After much ado and stuff, it emerged years later. No longer 4.2 six, now 5.7 V8!!

2. Pooped out less than a mile from home. Flat bed again. Fuel pump relay came adrift and cooked on the EGR pipe. Whew, easy fix.

3. Battery pooped out while I went in to Casper's for a hot dog. AA jump and home. New battery cured that.

4. Stopped to take pictures of the spectacular view of Mt. Diablo. almost at the same place poop out 2 occurred. Waited and waited for AA. Busy day for them apparently. Then, it cranked and fired. Yahoo, home. Forgot cure.

5. On the way to market. Steam!!! Close so pulled in. Popped bonnet, fearing the worst. Nope, I merely didn't seat the radiator cap properly. Nice lady offered assistance. HMMM. But, wifey was still here, so nope.

6. Another steamy adventure. Close by fortunately. Used socket and rachet in lieu of screwdriver to secure hose clamps. No further issues.

7. Pulling in to drive. Power steering and braking vanished. Muscled it in and to a stop. Issue disappeared. Cause never found. Cure not needed!!

Jeep only came close to stranding me once. A few whacks on the starter with my shileleagh and it cranked and fired. Home, straight home do not stall engine!!

But, way back in other critters, I've had my share of roadside adventures!!!.

Carl

o1xjr 05-19-2014 05:15 AM

14 Attachment(s)
Looks like I've a way to go to catch up to your Jag adventures(or misfortunes).
Had many roadside adventures over the years in other cars and bikes. But the trusty Jeep has always got me to the destination eventually, just takes a bit of prodding sometimes. 220K km since I got it,and many years of family holidays all over the "Wide Brown Land" it's still my favourite.

LnrB 05-19-2014 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by o1xjr (Post 978191)
Looks like I've a way to go to catch up to your Jag adventures(or misfortunes).
Had many roadside adventures over the years in other cars and bikes. But the trusty Jeep has always got me to the destination eventually, just takes a bit of prodding sometimes. 220K km since I got it,and many years of family holidays all over the "Wide Brown Land" it's still my favourite.

Clarke, ya probably outta keep that Jeep until it dissolves into a pile of rust. Then ya probably should keep it even longer.

I have it on fairly good authority that they don't make them like that anymore.
(';')

JagCad 05-19-2014 08:53 AM

YUP!!

The 4.0 OHV six dates back to 1964. Introduced as a Rambler power plant with 232 CI.
With nine main bearings, it is quite stable. We had a 71 Hornet around for a time. Actually an AMC Rambler. Same 232 6. it coluld embarrass quite a few 265 SBC's

AMC used it in the Cherokee and the Comanche, it's pickup cousin. The latter sets some records on the Bonneville Salt flats.

And, AMC/Chrysler used it in the Grand Cherokee, ion "modernized" version. Tubular exhaust, FI, OD trans, etc. But, built and tuned for torque and HP at round the 2,000 RPM area. Genius. That is where most of us drive. So, even with the larger Grand Cherokee body, it is was and still is very peppy

But, it has Asian infusion!!! When I changed the starter, I found it to be a Mitsubishi unit. And, in a prior life, it received a trans rebuild. I think the auto box is an Asian unit, but which, I don't know!! The front and rear axles are trusty Danas. As good as they come. It's unit body after 20 years and over 200,000 miles remains tight and shiny.

And, the ignominy of it!! I got a letter from BAAQMB. In charge of air quality around here and providing cushy jobs for bureucrats! If I sell it to an approved junk yard, I get a grand!!! Cash for clunkers lives on, CA style.Cars become elgible at age 20! Wow, my 30 year old jaguar missed out!! Oh, the guy in charge of getting the "gross polluteers" off the road, doesn't drive a car. He is an avid cyclist.

Nope, my Jeep isn't going anywhere soon. I'll probably drive it as long as I can get a license and it passes SMOG. or even longer...... Same for the Jaguar.

Carl

o1xjr 05-20-2014 04:54 AM

Hi Elinor, at 18 years old it still has no signs rust in the body or chasis. Only on bolts I want to get undone. It will be staying a lot longer. I do know from friends with newer Jeeps that they don't make like they used to.

Hi Carl, You are not wrong about the 4.0 HO engine having plenty of go.
The transmission you have is probably an Aisin-Warner AW4, Basically the same as the Borg Warner of the same era used in landcriusers.
The AW4 was developed by AMC and Borg Warner,and built by Aisin Seiki.
Altogether a very strong Auto trans, You woudn't believe the punishment mine put up with off road and towing off road as well. It finally had enough at 205,000 km and decided it would not select 1st or reverse any longer.($4000 for a rebuild). So I picked up a transmission and transfer case for $385 off a wreck ,1 owner,126,000 km unit that had never been off road. The transfer case was different to mine so I sold it for $400.
Hasn't missed a beat since,that was 3 years ago.