Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Series 1 XJ wiper goes too slow

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Series 1 XJ wiper goes too slow

Does anyone know how the Lucas 16W motor gets its two speeds? Two windings inside the motor?

It appears that the dash switch just sends 12V to the appropriate winding for low and high.

Does anyone have a flowchart on how this motor works? Need to test the switch on the dash and the motor. The Service
manual gives a test for on Low speed that the Red/Green wire at the Park switch should have 11.5V but mine only has
9.3V.

With 12.5V applied directly to the Red/Green wire on the Park switch the motor moves about 75% faster than through
the Jaguar circuitry... the motor is out and the cable is not attached to the wheelhouses at this time... it is grounded
for this testing through the motor ground wire.

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 04-13-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Default Found a great schematic and information link

Today I put 12V directly to the RLG (Red/Light Green) wire on the Park switch with the plug attached. The motor was grounded at the wire loop.
The motor went about 75% faster than my original Slow speed.

Then, I put 12V to the YLG (Yellow/Light Green) wire on the Park switch with the plug attached. Nothing happens unless the plug is attached to the motor.
I now got High speed... so my motor is "good" or capable of two speeds.

The Park switch pin is bent and that was my original "Clicking sound". I have a new Park switch on the way.

Not getting two speeds off the dash switch? I ordered a new dash wiper switch and it is on the way. I do not know how to properly test as it has eight spade connections and eight wires on it so I will replace it.

Article is Copyrighted and it tells how the Park switch and Lucas 16W motor is attached. It is three pages long and opens with Word.

Attached Files
File Type: docx
Interceptor.docx (32.5 KB, 658 views)

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 04-14-2016 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Attachment problems
Old 04-15-2016, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Default Got new motor brushes today and the rotor turned

The brushes are 6mm X 6mm X 12 mm and they tested, turned and balanced the rotor shaft. There is room for the length (12 mm) to have been even longer. We had no idea what the original length was but these are at least twice as long. Should last at least 20 more years!

I put on the new brushes after cleaning up all the parts. Decided to put black gloss paint on the round motor cap. Might as well look good when it is working properly.

The new dash switch and park switch are on the way. Will put the motor back together and test it after the paint dries.

I did not have time to test for the voltage drop today due to driving all over looking for the parts... plus PM traffic was horrible.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Default Changed the brushes - two speeds now!

Motor works on two speeds after changing the brushes. The revs per minute are within 10% of the Jaguar Service Manual speeds and the battery voltage is at 12.6V with the engine not running.

The new Park switch arrived yesterday and is installed. I cannot tell if it will Park properly yet as the cable is still out of the wiper arm wheelhouses. But, there is no "clicking" sound now from the bent Park switch pin.

Will continue the voltage drop testing to confirm all the wiring is "correct" from the switch to the motor. Finding and fixing any problems will only help increase the voltages and get more speed(s).

Will test and compare the used motor coming to these speeds... looks like I have success now and we have very little rainfall anyway!

Now, on to the rest of the To Do List before the bare metal paint job!

The following users liked this post:
Blackbeard911 (09-12-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Default Park switch now adjusted and working properly

Inside the motor there is a white plastic piece that the switch rides on.. it was inverted end to end.. PO had been in there before me.

With the ramp correct... it is easy to adjust the new switch so it Parks properly.

The new brushes and the cleaned up armature are all working well and the motor speeds are within 10-15% of the Jaguar Service Manual speeds without the engine running and the battery at 12.6V. Should be at the max proper high and low speeds with a running engine and the alternator charging the battery.

Will complete the installation of the wiper motor and cable this week. We expect some rain at the end of the week so I might get a real chance to test the wipers.

After is done and is satisfactory, I will re-hook up the Hella intermittent control box. Love the ability to have finite control over the wipers.

The following users liked this post:
Blackbeard911 (09-12-2016)