Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Series 3 irregular rattle noise (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/series-3-irregular-rattle-noise-215443/)

jedw84 03-23-2019 01:23 PM

Series 3 irregular rattle noise

This rattle sound has been annoying me the whole time I've owned this car. Doesn't seem to translate to anything performance wise; it's just constantly annoying. Sounds a bit like exhaust baffles ratteling. Does Anybody know what this is? I've heard it from other S3 Jags but personally I've no idea the cause.

Yellow series3 03-23-2019 02:11 PM

I couldn't hear the rattle, but your car is beautiful.

Jose 03-23-2019 02:19 PM

remove the exhaust side cam cover and check the Tappets and to see if the tappet holdown kit has been installed.

if the tappet holdown kit is fitted, then it sounds like the timing chain adjuster has lost its vinyl piece. Time to inspect the timing chain.

Darrenmb 03-23-2019 02:49 PM

I had a similar rattle but mine wasnt all time, which made it hard to locate, mine ended up being the rivets on the flex plate, found a newer one online without the rivets, apparently it was a common issue, some people had luck simply staking the rivets, I however did not..
hopefully yours isn't this as either engine or trans have to come out to replace...

Grant Francis 03-23-2019 09:30 PM

Most of mine sounded like that at the start of ownership.

Tappet adjustment cured 98% of the tappetty noise I hear in that video.

The 2 S2 cars had erratic rattles, and eventually the exhaust side bucket guides were found to be moving, ever so slightly, so stake down kits fitted, and ALL the XK engines became silent.

Top chain adjustment is also a rattler if too loose, and a "whirring" if to tight, so a balance needs to found.

Yours sounds VERY "tappetty" and that needs addressing, and whilst in there do teh stake down if its not already done.

Robert Laughton 03-24-2019 06:19 AM

I hear fan rattle, or what sounds like fan rattle. I have the same. Even after a new fan and clutch. I wish I knew a cure.

Rob

iramphal 03-24-2019 07:39 AM

I also had a rattle sound and eventually traced it to loose nuts on the exhaust manifold to downpipe flanges. Most of it has gone, but I could not find a way to tighten one of the nuts properly without removing a bunch of other stuff.

Doug 03-24-2019 07:44 AM

Engine noises don't always come out right on videos, in my experience.

That said......

What MY ears are mostly hearing sounds like a pulley bearing rattling and grinding. Water pump, alternator.....

This is like having 6 people witness a crime and each sees something different :)

Cheers
DD

jedw84 03-24-2019 09:22 AM

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I obviously hope it's the pulley rattle or something less critical like that. Will chase it down. :)

Cheers.

Doug 03-24-2019 09:28 AM

An $8 mechanics stethoscope might be very helpful

Cheers
DD

Jose 03-28-2019 06:48 AM

the metal splash guard under the radiator area and the metal heat shield over the manifolds is also known to rattle at certain rpm, aka as "sympatetic resonance".(something like that). I read somewhere that William Lyons and the engineers at Jaguar noticed this when the first XJ were built.

Darrenmb 03-28-2019 08:04 AM

Any updates??

JagCad 03-28-2019 10:24 AM

In my car, I note three things in that respect.

1. At times I get a ratte. It seems related to "how" the bonnet seats when closed. It "looks" right, buy may not be fully latched??

2. The valence under the radiator in my car is pretty hefty metal. So much so that I used it to fasten the lower part of the E fan shroud!!

3. The hanger for the left resonator was askew. I managed to lever it back n place...

Carl