XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Series 3 starting issue

Old 07-15-2017, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

A tale from the past. but, definitely relevant. Circa 1962, we lived in Phoenix, Arizona. Just before moving from El Centro, Ca, I sold my project pickup, a 1940 Ford. I've always had a penchant for old pickups!!!

So, I saw a 39 Dodge p'up in the local throw away paper. Priced in the budget, aka "low". Indeed, well worn, but decent. It's owner had repowered it with a 47 Plymouth engine. Similar enough to fit just right.
But, it was "tricky" to start. Get it cranking over fairly well, release the starter and on with the ignition. gotta be quick. Catch the engine still, turning, but starter off. Only an instant.

I bought it. It ran very nicely and drove well. Most of the time, I could execute the start trick.

Why? A detiorating starter. Getting worse and worse. Too bad, I had painted it red with white wheels. Stunning. A "better' truck came along, a Ford. So, I sold it.

A rebuilt starter would've cured it...

Carl

Old 07-17-2017, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start issue

Originally Posted by nswsteampower
Hi All
I have a Series 3 1983 XJ6, the engine has just been rebuilt, and now it is hard to start if left overnight, the mechanic that rebuilt the engine has told me that the battery I have in the car is not up to starting it, it is a new battery and has 12.55volts, he is telling me that the starter motor ( original ) is drawing to much power and that there is not enough left to efficiently operate the fuel pump etc. the car will turn over but takes 5-10 min to start once started it will run fine and restart straight away, he has checked the fuel pressure and is OK, he had the same issue with it and used a battery booster and it would start on the first crank.
his suggestion is to
1) get a better battery
2) fit a reduction starter motor that uses less power

Has anyone come across this ?
Thanks Gary
when I had this problem I replaced the cold start relay and the problem was corrected.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Install a relay for 12v to the coil +. Assure good volts there.

Carl

Old 08-25-2018, 04:55 AM
Received 110 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by lacona1usa
when I had this problem I replaced the cold start relay and the problem was corrected.
Hi, can I please please see a photo of the cold start relay, I may replace mine to get my trouble go away

Old 10-12-2018, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Series 3 starting issue

chech the timing. Since it was rebuilt the mechanic might have set it to advanced or retarded