Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Series II Interior Parts Interchange (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/series-ii-interior-parts-interchange-60245/)

Doc Hawk 09-04-2011 01:16 AM

Series II Interior Parts Interchange

I have a 74 XJ12 with a beat up interior. Does anyone know what parts I can swap into my vehicle? E.g. will the center console out of a Series III XJ6 swap in? Rear seats out of a 96 XJ? Any help or pointers to a link appreciated.

I have searched but have not found much other than one topic that dealt with mostly mechanical parts interchange and substitution.

Looking for just about everything inside the car. Door panels, console, seats, headliner, overhead handles, rear deck panel, shifter panel, dash upper panel... the dash itself is the only thing that's cherry in this car.

Doug 09-04-2011 08:18 AM

I've seen XJ40 seats in Ser IIIs and Ser III seats in Ser IIs so it's doable. You'll probably need a bit of fabrcating on the front floor mounts. The rear seats are a bolt-in swap, I think.

I've seen pics of Ser IIs with Ser III consoles and door panels. Not sure how much work was required but the sizes and shapes are fundmentally the same. I suspect some minor fitting modifications might be needed...but probably no big deal to a veteran tinkerer as yourself.

Hopefully someone will come along with more exact ansers.

Cheers
DD

Doc Hawk 09-04-2011 11:16 PM

Thanks very much Doug - your answer inspires hope! Everything looks so similar in these cars across a couple decades; I was hoping that there was some cross-compatibility among generations. I would love to hear from anyone who has successfully swapped in any later model interior parts into a Series II (long).

XJ12CJIM 09-16-2011 10:45 AM

I look forward to any ideas on replacing series II front seats with something more comfortable (series III or later). Although mine are in excellent condition, I find the series II front seat less than ideal. I have a lumped series II coupe.

Fraser Mitchell 09-17-2011 04:33 AM

Most Series III interior stuff will retrofit into a Series 2, but be aware that the front screen is raked much more so the dash-top moulding is different. The roof is also reprofiled, so the stuff around the cantrail, and the headlining biscuit will be different. You have to check out the detail by comparing what you have with what is on offer, as Jaguar made a lot of minor changes between the two series.
As for seats, the later XJ40/X300 seats may be OK, but I have no knowledge of this.

davidboger 09-17-2011 08:05 AM

One of the most notable differences in the rear seats will be that on the 74 the seatbelts are low and on the side of the seat, and on anything 1980 forward they are on the rear parcel shelf.... I think the Series 3 seats are a match, but you also have to plan on moving the seatbelts to the parcel shelf... I don't think the XJ40 or X300 seats are a direct fit replacement... I know they mount differently, but it seems they are a fit wider and fatter...

On the fronts, I think you can get by with Series 3 seats... You may have to modify the mounts a bit (I can't remember all the details). We have a club member that used later X300 seats, but it was a total refabrication... I think he even got all the electronics to work, which was a big deal as I recall...
XJ12CJim.... One thing that you will loose on your coupe is the ablitly to tilt the seat forward if you go to the later seats...

I know there are some other minor differences in the fit of the console and the door panels... I can investigate it a bit and report back if needed....

Cheers!
David Boger
EverydayXJ.com

davidboger 09-17-2011 11:32 AM

In addition, just looking at a couple of my cars side to side....

The door cards are different in a couple of different ways...
The front armrests take a much steeper curve to the point where they join the door..
The Series 3 all have the mirrior switch cut into the door cap, the series 2 have the manual mirrior adjustment about midways up the door...
The Series 2, and Early Series 3, have door caps that seperate from the lower door cards, the later series 3 (from about 82.5 up) have the door cards and caps as one piece..

The console differs in a couple of ways too...
The Series 2 console "wraps" the ski slope and radio surround, the Series 3 up to about 81 does the same thing, but uses a different ski slope and radio surround... The later Series 3 doesn't wrap the ski slope at all.. And the ski slope from the later Series 3 wouldn't be a match because the gear selector is longer...

David Boger
EverydayXJ.com

anjum 01-28-2013 01:16 PM

To revive an old thread!
Some very good info there!
Do the seats interchange between the series 3 and series 2. (series 3 into series 2)?
Do the electric front seat cause a problem with floorpan/ cross member?
Or is it worth just changing the skins over?

Johnny Bouncewell 02-11-2013 12:03 AM

Even more revival!

I'm looking at purchasing a SI car that has been reupholstered in icky green cloth. As soon as I saw it I thought "Oldsmobile Delta 88". Yuck.

The reupholstering was reasonably recent and the foam is in decent shape. My question is: Can I use the skins of a later (S3, XJ40, X300) to recover the seats in this SI?

Also, do the front seat skins differ front right to left? Its always easier to find nice passenger seats!

davidboger 02-11-2013 08:48 PM

Hey Johnny...
I'm going to say no....
I think there are enough differences in the shape of the seats that the Series 3 and XJ40 won't fit as a simple recover...
And, there are differences in left and right, both on the bottoms and backs... If you look at the bottoms, they have a wider ridge on the sides than they do on the fronts, and that is reversed left from right...
You should be able to swap out Series 1 and 2 fairly easily..

I have a friend who swapped a Vanden Plas seat set from a Series 3 into his Series 1. From what I remember it was fairly involved, but he got it done. He managed to change the door cards too, with a lot of work. But the VDP interior in his Series 1 looks amazing..

Cheers
David Boger
Everyday XJ

Johnny Bouncewell 02-11-2013 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by davidboger (Post 674762)
Hey Johnny...
I'm going to say no....
I think there are enough differences in the shape of the seats that the Series 3 and XJ40 won't fit as a simple recover...
And, there are differences in left and right, both on the bottoms and backs... If you look at the bottoms, they have a wider ridge on the sides than they do on the fronts, and that is reversed left from right...
You should be able to swap out Series 1 and 2 fairly easily.. Everyday XJ

Great info. I was thinking of S3 and newer because that's what is making the rounds in the junkyards these days. Also, a complete set of seats would set me back around $100 which weighs heavily on my conscience and lightly on my wallet.

I figured XJ40 seats would need some tweaking though what you're describing sounds like a lot of panels would need to be altered. I can handle sewing some minor modifications but wholesale tailoring is beyond my abilities and taxes my time considerably.

I have a friend who swapped a Vanden Plas seat set from a Series 3 into his Series 1. From what I remember it was fairly involved, but he got it done. He managed to change the door cards too, with a lot of work. But the VDP interior in his Series 1 looks amazing..

Cheers
David Boger
Everyday XJ

Thats exactly what I was envisioning! Doeskin in a bright red Series 1. I'm smiling just thinking about it. Maybe I'll leave that for when I have more time. Also, I visited your site a few weeks ago. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy seeing all those parts. Keep up the good work.

Cyclehead 03-03-2013 08:39 AM

I put XJ40 front seats into my SII. I welded the seat frame to the SII seat rail and adjuster, which means all the electric fore/aft adjustments were left behind. (I was not interested in butchering the frame cross rail) I did hook up the electric recline motor and the rear seat map lights (imbedded in the head rests). Very nice additions. Let me know if you'd like to see pictures. I'll try to dig them up.

anjum 03-03-2013 09:36 AM

Yes please!!

Cyclehead 03-03-2013 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I found the pictures. Sorry about the low resolution.
Don't buy the electric seat pedestals on the XJ40, just unbolt the lower seat frame. Keep the SII seat adjuster tracks. Weld the tubular lower seat frame to the SII adjuster tracks. Be aware, your welds are all that attach the seat to the car if you ever get rear-ended so make them at least as strong as the rails & bolts holding the tracks to the frame.

I added two rocker switches to the center console to power the seat-recline motors.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ine=1362329609

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/...ps10e21224.jpg

Cyclehead 03-03-2013 11:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
P.S. Note that the pleats in the upholstery are wider than the SII. Plus the "biscuit" color does not match if you try to keep your interior matching. I never re-dyed mine. They're close enough to not draw attention.

(re posted the second picture, I messed up the last photo attach)

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ine=1362330467

Cyclehead 03-03-2013 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Bouncewell (Post 674082)
... later (S3, XJ40, X300) to recover the seats in this SI? Also, do the front seat skins differ front right to left? Its always easier to find nice passenger seats!

The XJ40 seats I installed in my SII - I inadvertently installed the driver's seat on the passenger side (and vice versa). I only noticed when I saw the lumbar support handle on the wrong side, plus a little wear from the seat belt in an odd place. So yes, the XJ40 seats should fit either side of your SI.

Johnny Bouncewell 03-04-2013 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cyclehead (Post 688480)
The XJ40 seats I installed in my SII - I inadvertently installed the driver's seat on the passenger side (and vice versa). I only noticed when I saw the lumbar support handle on the wrong side, plus a little wear from the seat belt in an odd place. So yes, the XJ40 seats should fit either side of your SI.

Good to know. Maybe I'll start looking for only passenger seats or at the very least, it would make a fine office chair. I'd love to install a XJ40 VDP in my SI. Combine that with the door cards and damn, you've gotta classy interior to match a classic design. Its just at the limit of over the top.

Anyways, in my absence from this forum post, I bought a SIII parts car with a beautiful interior last weekend and have stripped the seats and any parts in exceptional condition that might be of use to others (if you need interior bits, PM me). Shame the body was thrashed and it had not ran for a few years. The leather must have been replaced in the 100k it spend on this world.

The front and rear SIII seats will go in my recently purchased 1971 SI and I have been told it is a bolt-in affair. Seatbelts need to be swapped for the SIII ones though which is not a biggie. I like having 15 years less UV degradation on the straps holding me in.

I'll snap some pics when I'm installing the SIII seats in my 1971 and post them up here. This is a good thread to keep going.

Bramie Maharaj 03-26-2013 09:35 PM

I swapped my series 2 seats with that of a Series 3 VDP, the only adjustments I made was the front door cards which I had to reshape to suit the doors which was minor. I used the centre console as well as the entire dash while maintaining the series 2 radio surround and the little shelf just above it.all the seats went in without any reconfiguration.
I must say it looks great , David Boger can testify since he has seen the pics on my Facebook page.

V81971 01-12-2014 08:17 AM

Hi I'm a new here I have a Series 1 also and would like to know more about swapping out seats, I'm also in New Mexico and a member of local British car club. If you can helpemail me dcxfire@live.com Dan

Brad Meadows 07-10-2019 07:16 AM

Hey Johnny...
I'm going to say no....
You should be able to swap out Series 1 and 2 fairly easily..

Cheers
David Boger
Everyday XJ

Hi ! I restoring a series one XJ6 . I have don’t the seat swap with a series 3. They fit perfectly but I’m wondering about the door cards your friend did from the series 3 to the series 1. Any chance you could get some info and or pictures of that.
Thanks
Brad