Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Series III exhaust question (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/series-iii-exhaust-question-129668/)

ra.stewart 10-25-2014 10:06 AM

Series III exhaust question

We've purchased a sweet series III recently, but the exhaust is shot. It is an 85 model and only has the front catalytic on it, nothing in the middle at this point. The cat is cracked and the pipes from there to the front mufflers are bad. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to put a pre-cat system on this car? My manifolds appear to have 4 bolt holes and the earlier down pipe appears to have the same configuration as the cat. I know I'd have to make some provision for the O2 sensor, but otherwise I am not in an area where the emission system is checked. Anyone have an experience? Thanks in advance for any input!

Darrenmb 10-25-2014 10:56 AM

I put a european exhaust on mine. Did the down pipe and center section. No cats at all! :) I Bought it a few years back, i want to say from Pauls.Jaguar but i really cant be certain now. I have bought so many parts from so many vendors i lost track!

JagCad 10-25-2014 11:04 AM

Or:

The local muffler shop if so inclined could build a really neat system. A true dual, ala E type , in lieu of the two into one and then back into two.

A slick version might be two back to two long glass packs, then through the IRS cage and straight back with or without the resonators.

Or, under the IRS cage, bye bye resonators.

An X or H cross over would tame it a tad.

Carl

Mkii250 10-25-2014 11:07 AM

Maybe talk to the folks at SNG Barratt about fitting the Bell stainless system. It comes with a non-cat downpipe. Have your fitter weld a nut on for the O2 sensor. I'm not sure how much of the system you'd have to buy (ie whether the Bell parts would line up with your front mufflers, but SNG Barratt will tell you).

Incidentally, my Canadian-spec 86 XJ6 only had a front cat from new; no other cats on it.

Jose 10-25-2014 04:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
eliminate the cat by opening it and removing all the honeycomb stuff inside, then reweld it and pressure test it, paint it copper and reinstall it. You need it because you need to reinstall the oxygen sensor, but you don't need the stuff inside it.

Then order a European Y pipe without the cat. then replace the mufflers and resonators with new ones which you might get from BELL Exhausts Systems Ltd. sold by SNG Barratt USA store.

Chances are the over-the-axle pipes are still good, they are/were stainless steel from the factory.

I sent my two over-the-axle pipes and the Euro Y pipe to Jet Hot Coatings where they were given the "Sterling" treatment. They also treated the transmission-to-Y-pipe clamp, then I used nothing but stainless steel bolts, washers, and nuts.

Last and most important, I used Rolls Royce Band Clamps which do not distort the pipes when you tighten them as the "U" clamps do. I got these clamps from a Jaguar parts supplier in Michigan whose name I forget.

I also used Exhaust Sealer paste (Permatex) in every pipe joint, then clamped them.

Do not weld any exhaust parts (other than the cat repair above), Jaguar never welded their exhaust systems. You need to be able to separate exhaust parts for servicing the car, such as removing the tanks, or the transmission.

JagCad 10-26-2014 10:20 AM

Agree. Properly fitted and clamped exhaust joints are handy. However, the choice of clamps can be a pain. Some imprint the tubing and make separation a real .....
Better ones area available.

Muffler shops go to welding. No clamps inventory needed. Fast. No leaks likely, aka no comebacks.

When, I did my conversion, I used a combination of factors. Two down piles prefitted from a vendor. I drilled them and welded in bungs for the O2 sensors.

I kept the Jaguar mufflers and resonators. A PO had replaced the resonators with short glass packs, welded in.

A local muffle shop created a connection including welded in cats. Neat as it camn be dropped as a unit to replace the the trans if needed. This unit bolted in with flange connectors up front and the Jaguar donuts to the rear. Oh, an H pipe included. Nice rumble, yet dignified.

There is a guy in Ontario that designs and executes exhaust systems for all kinds of critters, including an XJS convertible lump. Google Mufflerguy, I think.

Carl

Jose 10-28-2014 10:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I would never take my Jag to a muffler shop, they simply can't handle delicate exhaust work, all they wanna do is to "move these refrigeraters".

Summit Racing sells many widths of band clamps, including the Rolls Royce band Clamps I used in my XJ.

JagCad 10-28-2014 10:50 AM

Jose:

Yes, there are those that you speak of. But, there also artisas that take pride in their work and create master pieces. The guy, whose name I can not recall in Ontario, being only one of them.

The work was very well done in my car.

Just gotta look.

SNG Barratt USA 10-29-2014 11:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We've recently introduced new band clamps to our range. They're stainless steel and seem to work much better than the older style U clamps.

Various sizes kept in stock - www.sngbarratt.com/PartSearchResults.aspx?partno=ECL

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...1&d=1414598807

JagCad 10-29-2014 11:16 AM

YUP>

If I were to do any exhaust work, that is what and probably where I'd look for.

None of those old "U" clamps on my Jaguar at present.

Carl

Carl

rs200evo 10-29-2014 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jose (Post 1086944)
eliminate the cat by opening it and removing all the honeycomb stuff inside, then reweld it and pressure test it, paint it copper and reinstall it. You need it because you need to reinstall the oxygen sensor, but you don't need the stuff inside it.

Does anything have to be done with the computer? i'm guessing the o2 sensor won't go crazy after you remove the honeycomb. i'm thinking about doing this to my car

JagCad 10-30-2014 12:17 AM

Jump in delight and do an Irish jig.

That honeycomb thing is a ......... (I gave up profanity decades ago)!

Jose:

Diameters rather than widths????

Carl

Jose 10-30-2014 01:42 AM

do not mess with the computer, nothing, nada. just open up the old cat and remove the stuff inside, re-weld it, pressure test it, and re-paint it, reinstall with new donut seals top and bottom, reinstall O2 sensor. Do not touch the bag of stuff inside with bare hands, it is toxic.

the engine will "breathe" better. No crazy O2 sensor nada. You can also go with the Euro Down Pipe but you would have to weld a O2 sensor "mounting bung" to it, too much work and hassle. The empty cat does the same job. Also the sound of the exhaust is slightly improved, more like a 1960's Jaguar.

I am glad SNG Barratt is now stocking Band Clamps, those "U" clamps used by muffler shops are damaging to exhaust parts and create exhaust flow restrictions by decreasing the inside diameter of the pipes, sort of creating "bottlenecks", minor as they might seem.

No welding, zero, nada, unless you like to butcher your exhaust parts later on, and there will always be a later on!

Jose 10-30-2014 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by JagCad (Post 1090116)
Jump in delight and do an Irish jig.
That honeycomb thing is a ......... (I gave up profanity decades ago)!
Jose: Diameters rather than widths???? Carl

Carl: the word is "pita". It was invented by Doug if I recall correctly.

yes. D instead of W

JagCad 10-31-2014 12:02 PM

Jose:

On another forum, I viewed pictures of an exhaust system created and installed by a "refrigerator shop". Nope, not so, very nicely done.

I suspect those old tech clamps are gone..... OTH, they can be handy in things other than exhaust for attaching stuff to tubes, etc.

But, I'll quit beating the downed horse.

The phrase is disturbing to me anyways ! When I was a kid, I had two! Plug and Dusty. Great, each in their own way. Not to forget my donkey, well, I can't, my left knee keeps reminding me.

And, of course, the great, yet disturbing tale of "Black Beauty".

OUT!!!

Carl