Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   series III histories (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/series-iii-histories-9748/)

skanoski 12-20-2008 10:59 AM

series III histories

How many of you fellow series III owners have had your car since day#1? I can only imagine the man/car bond that develops from driving and maintaining one for 20+ years.

I am not the original owner of my 86 sovereign; however my wife rode to school in it as a kid. My father-in-law bought it new - and I acquired and restored it about 5 years ago. I wasn't even driving yet in 86, so I'm happy settling for 2nd owner.

JackJohn 12-20-2008 03:47 PM

RE: series III histories

The Series III is a beautiful car. I was never interested in Jags until it came out. Never did get a III but finally did get one of its successors.

Keith 12-20-2008 04:30 PM

skanoski, you may not have owned it from new, but, sounds like yours is as close, or closer than most around. Knowing the history is worth tons. The bond has to be much better than just picking one up off of ebay.
JackJohn, just because you haven't gotten one yet, don't count yourself out. Their so cheap now that anyone can afford one, or two, or...... Guess thats why its so easy to get addicted to them!
I wish I had mine since new, but, all I can do now is bring it back to as near new as I can, and that journey will form the bond your speaking of.

Jose 12-21-2008 09:36 AM

I boughtmy XJ-6in March 1990 from the first owner, a doctor who was a client of mine and who owned2 Mercedes,1 BMW, 1 Infiniti, the XJ-6, and a Jeep.One time he asked me to help him movehis cars tohis new house.The XJ-6 had been sitting in a dark corner ofa 6-car garage being used as his daughter'sPlay House.Battery was dead, rear seatcovered withdolls and toys.

I told him, Doc you don'tuse this car, why don't you sell it to me?He went inside, came back with the keys, told me to Take It To a Mechanic, find out what's wrong with it and makehim an offer.

Iremoved the battery and had it charged, came back with fresh gasoline, checked all the fluids,and the car started aftercoughing and sputtering.Fortunately he wasn't there, we had already moved the other cars.The engine stabilized itself and started running smoothly, everything worked.I droveit straighthome.That nightI made him a cash offerand next morning he signed the Title to me and gave me the second set of keys. Little by little I detailed the car, fixedthe a/c system,new headliner, new tires and wheels, and did past due maintenance. The car had 44k miles when I got it.

It has been the most reliable and dependable car I've ever owned, (I have owned MG, Volvo, and Saab since 1968),so I've kept it for almost 18 years now.I like it so much that in 2001 I bought an even older Sedan, a 1965 S type,this one with agreat history of ownership, having livedmost ofits life in Pebble Beach, owned by a famous California artist, a car that had been well-loved and it shows.

skanoski 12-21-2008 07:05 PM

Nice ride Jose. I'd love to see your s-type. I couldn't see the wheels on the SIII - you mentioned that you replaced them. Did you go with the pepperplot, or something else??

Here's a pic of my 86 sov. [IMG][/IMG]One of these days I'll get around to A/C project.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2329/45084FE8D65D4DBCA07908FE309BFF0D.jpg[/IMG]

Doug 12-21-2008 08:18 PM

Nice one ! The slim bumpers make a world of difference

Cheers
DD

Jose 12-22-2008 07:08 AM

I went with XJ-40 Teardrop wheels.

here's a pic of the S type.

skanoski 12-23-2008 10:15 AM

fantastic s-type jose. You ride in style.

Jose 12-23-2008 12:37 PM

did you notice I installed Series 3 XJ-6 electric mirrors ? (and the switch too).

I also updated the car with Series 3 XJ-6 Center Mounted Stop Lamp, and Series 3 Vanden Plas XJ-6 Headrests front and rear.

here's another angle of the S type. (the boatbelongs tomy nephew).