XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Series III XJ6 (1987) | Fuel Pains

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Series III XJ6 (1987) | Fuel Pains

I'm in the middle of a full brake system overhaul, replacing all shocks, bushings, etc. and have been able to crank her once every two weeks. This week she wouldn't fire but would turn over. I have spark and my fuel pump hums. I decided to drain the tank and the tank had much more fuel than I expected, full of trash. I'm going to pull and replace the fuel filter and clean the lines. My question is when I removed the drain plugs, both small and larger main plug, I can see the bottom of what I now know to be the tank screen. How can I replace this? Furthermore, is there a safe way to back flush this system from the fuel pump back to tank? Thanks for any help, I just couldn't find any good write-ups on replacing the fuel tank screen. Looks like I will go ahead and install two low-pressure fuel filters before change-over solenoid.

*sharing a few photos

Old 08-26-2017, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

The tank filter which you can see, is a thimble shape and is simply pressure-fitted to the pick-up tube. Just pull it down and it comes off. Clean it and replace.