Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Should I buy? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/should-i-buy-3310/)

enthusiastic 11-28-2007 08:22 AM

Should I buy?

Thank you for stopping by to read this. My question is quite simple. I have never owned a vehicle (and I only got my license last year) because I live in a mass transit place but will be moving out soon. I went abroad and fell in love with the S2 & S3 XJ6s and have not been able to shake them off since (I've also always wanted a Jag too :D). The problem is that, seeing as I don't even have experience owning a car, I'm not sure if it's a wise decision to buy an XJ6 as my first, only, and primary driver. I was looking into getting a 1985. I have very limited amount of money to spend on the purchase in the first place and although it would be really awesome to tinker with the car, I don't anticipate having the kind of money required to deal with its mechanical issues. From the looks on this forum, most people regard it as a project car. Any advice?

Also, in the event that you may think I should look elsewhere given my situation, is there any other car you could suggest with only 3K in the bank?

ken@britishparts.com 11-28-2007 09:33 AM

RE: Should I buy?

I would shy away from it. Regardless if it's a Jag or any other car in the world, a 27 year old car will have issues. It's not going to be a "jump in and drive away" vehicle. I would look at a 95 to 97 XJ6 for low maintance.

Jose 12-01-2007 06:32 PM

if you are needing a car to take you to work and back, and everything else, and you don't have experience with cars, the XJ-6 is going to eat your money, from the first day, so for the time being, buy a $1,500. car, like a late 1990's Ford or Dodge minivan, they are ok for everyday wear and tear, somewhat easy and not too expensive to get them fixed, keep the other half of the money saved for an emergency. you can always buy a Jag later as a project.

Jose

MI6 12-03-2007 01:16 PM

Trust me, I loved the XJ-6. Had an '87. However, she was a cruel mistress that bled me dry and hung me out. I'd look into the late 90's XJs if you must have a Jag.

skanoski 12-03-2007 01:49 PM

I'm always good for bad advice........if you can't shake your love for Series III xj, then buy one. My Series III (86) is a gem. Other than a complete engine rebuild (2005), it's been relatively low maintenance (distributor cap, brake pads, minor body work, etc.). The engine rebuild was likely due to several years in storage, but who knows. Good luck whatever you decide.

Jose 12-03-2007 04:31 PM

my '84 has been reliable too, for the last 17 years. I wouldn't sell that car, couldn't replace it, it's for life.

Recently a friend asked me to find a buyer for his 1985 XJ-6. He wanted $600.00. The car was overheating. I thought it was a head gasket problem. I found another friend whobought itfor $500.00. The problem? it was very low on coolant! The new owner hasn't stopped driving it last I heard. My recent headaches were caused by hitting the wall with my head, I should have bought the car!

Jose

Keith 01-03-2008 10:35 PM

Hi, generally these cars will eat your lunch, bank account, make you homeless, (by acquiring too many of them), and certainly make, or keep you single. BUT, then again, there are great cars out there. My 85 XJ-6 happens to be one of them. Very reliable, with the only issue of not starting when the positive battery cable clamp was broke, not allowing a firm grip to the batter post. AND, recently having to replace the brake mastercylinder. I drive it every other day, only because I drive my XJS the other days. The more these cars are driven the better they like it. Cars with long storage history and low miles are worth avoiding. It is a requirement that you enjoy tinkering with these cars, and willing to do all your own work, since most dealers will not even let you in the door with the older cars. Some private repair shops are good, but I wouldn't even consider letting them touch my car if they weren't experienced with Jags. Personally, for a first time auto buyer, I'd suggest buying something else to start out with, they do require a lot of attention, even under the best of conditions. Also, their not the most economical vehicles out there.

stevexj6 04-17-2008 07:58 AM

ive had a 1990 xj6 high miles for a year bought it as my frist car for a1000 and there nothing wrong with it im soon going to rebiuld the engine andput on a new coat of paintbut thats a given but i fell in love with it the frist time a dovro it, its my daly driver the only promble i have it with it is the gas but it worth it, itsthe best to be able to pull up in jag