Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Should I buy? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/should-i-buy-5905/)

priest2705 05-04-2008 05:57 PM

Should I buy?

I'm a new member, been a longtime Jag admirer, and considering becoming a first time owner.

There's a local guy who's selling an '80 XJ6 for $950. He bought it from an auction a year ago and says he's basically trying to break even on the sale. I just came from seeing it, and I was surprised at the condition. The 4.2 I-6 started right up, interior is in pretty good condition ( a couple cracks in the center console, no peeling on the woodgrain, no tears or rips in the seats, etc), and the only real rust I saw was a couple of spots (smaller than a dime) below the LH rear door. They were surface rust, and, to be honest, I would've missed them if I hadn't actually been looking for rust in particular. I did notice 3 or 4 spots where the paint was starting to bubble, those were around the RH doors. There were only two things that I saw that concerned me, and the owner brought both of them to my attention.

First, he mentioned a small brake fluid leak under the hood. I couldn't see it myself, and didn't see it after I'd taken it out, he did make sure to mention it to me. Second, he pointed out the fact that the rear tires seemed to be rubbing up agains the wheel well, as if the tires were too tall. He showed me that he' d replaced the RH rear tire w/ the spare, and it seemed to have about 2 inches of clearance that the LH rear tire didn't. I didn't get the tire size. What are the stock tire sizes.

Anyway, other than the things that I mentioned, and a tune-up, I didn't see any other problems, and am definitely leaning toward buying. The owner's not in any particular rush, just trying to get rid of the car to make room for another P/U. So, what should I do? And are there any issues I should look for that I might have missed?

mattycinatree 05-04-2008 06:58 PM

RE: Should I buy?

yes get it the are like floating on a cloud to drive get it and enjoy it good luck !

Regards Matt

2001 S-type 3.0L auto
1961 Mark 2 3.8L man
1964 Mark 2 3.4L man
1968 E-type 4.2L auto
1977 XJS V12 5.3Lauto
1982 Xj6 series 3 4.2L auto
1978 xj6 series 2 4.2L auto
1958 XK150 3.8L man

1997 Volvo 850 T5 (pimped wagon)

priest2705 05-04-2008 07:45 PM

LOL.....I'm about 90% certain that I'm gonna get it. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it, and was ready to drop the money right then and there. But, I wanna get some opinions before I take the plunge so to speak.

I am kinda curious.....I know that I'm gonna want to upgrade the stereo system. How difficult is it to install an aftermarket CD player/ head unit?

Jose 05-05-2008 08:56 AM

sounds a bit pricey for a 1980, considering you can buy a 1988 XJ-40 for under $1,000. and I sold a 1985 XJ-6 for $500. not long ago. But if you think it is right, then by all means go for it.
Replacing the radio is not a big deal, but I recommend youorder the Factory Shop ManualCD before you start guessing your way through a dismantle of the radio/air conditioner Panel.

order it here: http://www.lbcarco.com

You will have to carefully widen and square the radio opening in the radio panel to a DIN size opening, after that, it is only matching the factory wiring to the new stereo wiring. Do it carefully.

Good luck.

Jose

priest2705 05-07-2008 01:04 PM

Thanks Jose. Yeah, from looking around the forum, I figured that the price might be a little high, but I don't think it's that's bad. Do you? I had a mechanic look at it and he tells me that I should get it, so I'm pretty much ready to close the deal.

I'm also looking at an '87 XJS as well. I know....one project at a time. But, I figure that'll give me the coupe and sedan. The XJS is going for $500, it's in good shape, no rust that I could see, interior's better than fair, although it could use a cleaning. Mechanically, the only thing I found wrong with it is that it needs a catalytic converter. What do you think?

And I'm getting ready to order the manual. Is the website you gave me better than the ones that I find on ebay?

Jose 05-08-2008 07:49 AM

well I don't know what to tell you except that, if you have the money, buy BOTH! $500. for a 1987 XJ-S is no pain, so if you have a place to store it, you can slowly fix it or part it out and get your money back. The 1980 could be a Series II XJ, or a Series III XJ. If the gauges and switches havechrome detailing on them, it's a Series 2. If the same partsare completely black, it's a Series 3, though the Series 3 really started in 1980½, but being a Jaguar, anything is possible.

As to the factory Service Manual CD's, I have heard that some eBayers are selling copies which are duds. The question is: can you get a replacement or refund if it turns out to be a dud? Or will the Seller tell you: "it's probablyYOUR computer...sorry but" Compare prices + shipping and check the feedback of the eBay seller when buying anything at eBay.

These cars are known to pass emmission inspections without catalityc converters. (assuming your State has annual emmission inspections). You can remove it, pry it open, clean the garbage in there, re-seal it by welding, pressure test it, re-paint it, and re-install it with new onion seals. You might be amazed.Otherwise, you can also order a European cat-less down pipe and just replaceit forever, or at least here in the USA, keep theempty catalyticfor "looks", it fools everyone.

Uploadsome pictures here after you close the deal.

Jose

priest2705 05-08-2008 08:32 PM

You're reading my mind, Jose. I'm thinking (seriously) about getting both. I know I'm getting the XJ6, so that's a foregone conclusion. And I figure that when, I mean if:D, I buy the XJS, I'll take my time working on it. I just love the looks and beauty of the XJS.

The gauges didn't have any chrome, and the switches on the XJ6 were all black, so I'm figuring that it's a Series 3, although I did notice that the two ashtrays on either side of the shift lever were both chrome.

I've bought off of EBay quite a few times, but I don't wanna get stuck with a manual for a Series 2 or an XJ40 that I can't use, and that the seller won't refund. So, maybe it's safer to go with the site that you linked to.

I just wanna make sure I got it straight on the catalytic converter. There's the possibility that it'd pass emissions inspections without it? If so, which would be better, to hollow out the catalytic converter or the order the european pipe?

And believe me, as soon as I complete the deal, I'm gonna upload pics. You all are a huge help, and I'm glad that I found this forum for likeminded souls.