XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SIII - sound of loose tappet guides?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:07 PM
Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Default SIII - sound of loose tappet guides?

I've been looking around for an SIII XJ6 and took a short video of this one at idle. The owner is not aware of a stakedown kit being installed and I couldn't see signs of one through the oil filler. It has about 80K miles and ran well.

Does this sound like tappet guides have worked loose? I can handle installing a stakedown kit, but would wonder if damage has already been done. My next step if I pursue this one was to go and take compression test readings.

Thanks for any input.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
I've been looking around for an SIII XJ6 and took a short video of this one at idle. The owner is not aware of a stakedown kit being installed and I couldn't see signs of one through the oil filler. It has about 80K miles and ran well.

Does this sound like tappet guides have worked loose? I can handle installing a stakedown kit, but would wonder if damage has already been done. My next step if I pursue this one was to go and take compression test readings.

Thanks for any input.

XJ6 4 2L at idle - YouTube
My personal opinion on this is that unless the rest of the car is in drop dead gorgeous condition, I would be giving it a miss. That engine does not sound good.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by peddlarbob
My personal opinion on this is that unless the rest of the car is in drop dead gorgeous condition, I would be giving it a miss. That engine does not sound good.

Thanks for your input. Is it common for the paint to peel off the rocker covers like that or is that some sign of something else?

The cosmetics of the car are good, not great.

The owner has receipts for a good bit of work done in the last 2 years which made it a little enticing: new pads front and rear, new starter, had both tanks taken out and repaired/lined, ac serviced, valve cover gaskets replaced, new tires, plugs and wires, front shocks, fluids done.

I've seen/driven about 7 SIIIs so far and this one seemed quicker off the line and smoother on the highway compared to the others. They are fun to see and drive and get the background on them.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
Thanks for your input. Is it common for the paint to peel off the rocker covers like that or is that some sign of something else?

The cosmetics of the car are good, not great.

The owner has receipts for a good bit of work done in the last 2 years which made it a little enticing: new pads front and rear, new starter, had both tanks taken out and repaired/lined, ac serviced, valve cover gaskets replaced, new tires, plugs and wires, front shocks, fluids done.

I've seen/driven about 7 SIIIs so far and this one seemed quicker off the line and smoother on the highway compared to the others. They are fun to see and drive and get the background on them.

The paint on the valve covers does tend to degenerate over time but this one looks like the engine has been over heated. The noise could be as a result of that or that the tappets need adjusting and or the timing chain needs adjusting. Hard to say, my ears are not as good as they once were for picking on one particular thing. Best thing is just to whip off the valve cover and take a look at what is going on in that area

Last edited by peddlarbob; 02-26-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

my car makes that same sound... ive pulled off the covers and the cam isnt hitting the tappet guide. timing chain seemed fine too. my motor doesnt miss either. ive just been living with it