XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoothie Ram Horn SBC exhaust manifolds

Old 02-02-2016, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Smoothie Ram Horn SBC exhaust manifolds

If you are doing a SBC V8 conversion and want your engine compartment to have some "bling" - you should consider these 2 1/2 inch outlet manifolds that are direct fits for the GM Ram Horns. But, they have been polished smooth and Silver Ceramic finished. They are available also without the Silver Ceramic coating...

I ported them today to match the 1.5 X 1.5 inch exhaust ports on my heads and to match the gaskets. Took about a hour with a air driven die grinder and a combination of a carbide tip and a stone.

The first picture shows the gasket outlet etched onto the ports and the second the finished ported manifold. There is no reason to spend a lot of time on the
exhaust side of the manifolds.

I got them from Speedway Motors, part number 9300330.

The cast iron manifolds will provide excellent breathing without the leaks/cracks given by the "headers" that now occupy my Wall of Shame.

Attached Thumbnails Smoothie Ram Horn SBC exhaust manifolds-port-lines-etched.jpg   Smoothie Ram Horn SBC exhaust manifolds-after-porting-match-gaskets.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 02-02-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,926 Likes on 5,279 Posts

That's a considerable cleanup, Roger, Very nice!
An improvement, if for no other reason than aesthetics!
Nix would Luv a pair of those! Thank you for the #'s.
(';')

Old 02-03-2016, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Nice work.

My 'lump" has ram horns that came with the engine kit, along with a lot of other stuff. New in the box. I tried with no luck to ID the maker.
No dip in the center and plugged ports for the air manifolds. I modified a set of cast offs to please the SMOG referee. Adapting the air feed from the LT1 electric air pump called for a "big" hole and taped threads. I was leary of messing up a nice set.

I did have to grind off a bit of iron along the inner top to clear the valve covers. HY HF 4" grinder did that nicely.

I also ground a flat and drilled three hoes to attach the EGR. Looks just like factory and works as well.

What I did not do was to grind the ports as Roger and others did.
Wish I had, or do I? My car runs just fine.

Oh, and as to instructions with my Johnscars kit, no gasket used.
Just Cat and O2 sensor safe high temp gasket maker. No leaks and all is well.

Carl