Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spectra Fuel Tank - Series III

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 11:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spectra Fuel Tank - Series III

Hi All!

I know there have been some questions as to the build quality of Spectra fuel tanks for our cars. I decided to take the chance after my right-hand tank completely failed and QuickSteel putty failed to provide a long-term solution. I'm proud to say that the Canadian manufactured tank is a stellar replacement for the factory Jag unit. The seams are identical, the material is actually a little more robust, and all mounting/connection points are perfectly placed.
The new tank even came with a new o-ring for the filler neck and a new gasket and lock ring for the float/sender unit. For $315USD, I consider it a great value. The only thing it lacks over the factory unit is the chunk of sound absorbing material on the outside. Anyone needing a new tank, I can't recommend these highly enough!

The following 2 users liked this post by millster:
Ahabiam (03-11-2014), LnrB (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 10:06 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Nice to hear. The factory is just down the street from where I worked prior to retirement. They used my old Corvette as a test buggy for a new line of tanks they were bringing out. Top quality stuff from what I saw.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Nice to hear. The factory is just down the street from where I worked prior to retirement. They used my old Corvette as a test buggy for a new line of tanks they were bringing out. Top quality stuff from what I saw.
Nice! Well they do one heck of a job. I do have ONE tiny complaint, though. In an effort to be helpful, they welded a nut on the rear bottom mount. This is a fantastic idea as getting a 15 mil spanner in that tiny bracket is a bugger... the problem was that they got a little crazy with the welder and filled the threads with spatter. Not a huge deal, about 5 minutes with a hammer and cold chisel broke the welds and I resumed mounting the tank with the original nut. Other that that one little flaw, I WHOLLY recommend the tanks. They fit like a dream, don't leak like my old one did and the filler assembly actually slipped right into the neck even with the new o-ring... no twisting, banging and cursing required. And hey, as it turns out, the previous owner put a Spectra on the driver's side so now my car matches again.