Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Spit and Polish (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/spit-polish-126655/)

o1xjr 09-18-2014 03:26 AM

Spit and Polish

9 Attachment(s)
Still no new mechanical or electrical issues to play with so detailing is the next best thing to keep busy.
It as amazing how well a tired paint job can come up with a bit of professional help. My brother who used to own a custom panel and paint shop back in the 90's(mainly rods and resto's) was in Brisbane for a couple of days so we spent a day cleaning and polishing the paint and chrome. And gave the interior similar treatment.
It looks like a different car now,so I tucked it away and slipped a cover over it until the upcoming All British Day.
He's back in town in few weeks so he is going to attack my new toy(2011 Jeep) that has been terribly mistreated in the Paint, interior, and mechanical department.
Attachment 95985Attachment 95993Attachment 95986Attachment 95987Attachment 95988Attachment 95989Attachment 95990Attachment 95991Attachment 95992

themajor7 09-18-2014 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks fantastic mate. I too recently went at my s3 with a clay cloth and lubricant cleaner, and then wax polish. She's by no means show condition due to the rust, but it made a huge improvement by getting through years of tree sap and grime!

So much more satisfying than cleaning up modern cars!

Cambo 09-18-2014 08:29 AM

Aw man... you took off the Freemason sticker... :(

Doug 09-18-2014 08:37 AM

Looks bee-you-tee-ful :)

Cheers
DD

LnrB 09-18-2014 09:12 AM

WOW, Clarke! It doesn't even look like the same car!!
THAT"S what a car Should look like.
(';')

anjum 09-18-2014 01:18 PM

Looks great!

o1xjr 09-18-2014 04:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by LnrB (Post 1060279)
WOW, Clarke! It doesn't even look like the same car!!
THAT"S what a car Should look like.
(';')

As soon as my brother saw it he said "mate, we are going to fix that while I am here".
I didn't think it looked too bad before.

Originally Posted by Cambo351 (Post 1060232)
Aw man... you took off the Freemason sticker... :(

Still there, just cant see them as easily,right rear and left front over riders. We were going to remove them but I decided they were a link to some kind of history of the car. The only history I have is it was sold in Tasmainia new,and that the starter motor had a sticker from an auto electrician in Wagga from 1996, air con was re-gassed in Newcastle in 1997. And the car was traded on a new Corolla in 2012 in Brisbane,where the previous owner worked and bought it off the dealer.
Attachment 96048Attachment 96049

o1xjr 09-19-2014 04:39 AM

I really just wanted to uncover it today and go get a gas refill for the camper, but I wan't to keep it looking this good for the All British day,Sunday 28th. I hate not driving this car every day.
Only have 8 days to wait for another drive............

paulyling 09-19-2014 08:05 AM

damn!!!! Clarke! Fire ball looks awesome!

wish i could of made it for All British day mate. Hope it all goes well bud!

o1xjr 09-19-2014 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by paulyling (Post 1060913)
damn!!!! Clarke! Fire ball looks awesome!

wish i could of made it for All British day mate. Hope it all goes well bud!

Without sounding like a tosser, I think my older brother does have some merits. He did a good job on it using what I had in my garage,and some Mother glass and chrome cleaner. And a couple of products from Supercheap.

Proof you don't have to spend a million dollars or have the "name brand" items to make your mutton look like lamb. Everything was baseline products.
Technique and experience count for a lot.

:icon_beerchug:

LnrB 09-19-2014 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by o1xjr (Post 1060821)
I really just wanted to uncover it today and go get a gas refill for the camper, but I wan't to keep it looking this good for the All British day,Sunday 28th. I hate not driving this car every day.
Only have 8 days to wait for another drive............

Now you know how the Concourse crowd lives.
Theirs are not cars, useful conveyances, they're nearly objects of worship.

"Har-ley. Har-ley Da-vid-son. You are our god. Save us. Va-room, Va-room.":icon_worthy::icon_worthy::icon_worthy:
(';')

Doug 09-19-2014 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by o1xjr (Post 1060923)
Proof you don't have to spend a million dollars or have the "name brand" items to make your mutton look like lamb. Everything was baseline products.
Technique and experience count for a lot.

:icon_beerchug:

Right! Boutique products ....although many of them are very good....are not required to get a good result.

Years ago, when I was into the Concours thing, I took my Ser III XJ6 to 'Reginal First Place' standing in JCNA Championship class using ordinary off-the shelf, under-$10-per-bottle supplies :)

Cheers
DD

o1xjr 09-19-2014 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by LnrB (Post 1060978)
"Har-ley. Har-ley Da-vid-son. You are our god. Save us. Va-room, Va-room.":icon_worthy::icon_worthy::icon_worthy:
(';')

I Have 25000+ motorcycle pics in my screen saver(2 harley's).
What does that tell you...

It tells me they both belong to mates and it would be rude to leave out their bikes.

philg64 09-19-2014 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by o1xjr (Post 1060923)
I think my older brother does have some merits.

A pity mine doesn't have the same merits ( any of the three).

I would be more than happy to accept their offer of car detailing skills. Problem as I see it....

1. None have offered and,

2. They don't have the skill

BTW - great job, I do envy both your efforts.

Series1fan 09-19-2014 05:01 PM

It looks smashing.

Any chance the engine bay was detailed, or maybe when your (very kind) brother visits again? I'd love to hear an account of the engine detail, products used, etc.

o1xjr 09-21-2014 03:11 AM

Engine Bay

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Series1fan (Post 1061258)
It looks smashing.

Any chance the engine bay was detailed, or maybe when your (very kind) brother visits again? I'd love to hear an account of the engine detail, products used, etc.

Unfortunately he only does body work,he doesn't like going near mechanical. Which includes engine bay unless it is empty and he is painting it.

The engine bay is 40 year old messy,but clean and has no leaks and everything works so clean hands when working on it.
It was about 3mm deep in oil and dirt mix . I Clean it with aerosol degreaser ($2 a can) and fine grade steel wool and old toothbrushes, and a pertol pressure washer.

Attachment 96253Attachment 96254Attachment 96255Attachment 96256

Cambo 09-21-2014 03:23 AM

Oh man, you could spend weeks on that engine bay if the bug bit...

o1xjr 09-21-2014 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo351 (Post 1062154)
Oh man, you could spend weeks on that engine bay if the bug bit...

There is no oil or dirt in there, but it really needs the engine removed and a repaint and general tidy up. But that isn't going to happen any time soon as it get used most days.
It hasn't been moved since the big clean up, but we are away road/off road testing the new Jeep.

I can live with the engine bay as it all works ok. And it is clean to work on.

Series1fan 09-21-2014 08:19 PM

Hey Clarke, pretty damn clean, I'd say. Doesn't need to be Navy quality but I see from your pics mine needs more work.

Graham

Cambo 09-21-2014 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by o1xjr (Post 1062191)
There is no oil or dirt in there, but it really needs the engine removed and a repaint and general tidy up. But that isn't going to happen any time soon as it get used most days.
It hasn't been moved since the big clean up, but we are away road/off road testing the new Jeep.

I can live with the engine bay as it all works ok. And it is clean to work on.

I can see that it's clean. I was just thinking about the Concours and the judging criteria, I don't think i'd have the patience to go down that road with a traditional engine bay...