Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Stainless Steel Wiper Blades for xj6 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/stainless-steel-wiper-blades-xj6-126039/)

themajor7 09-09-2014 03:13 PM

Stainless Steel Wiper Blades for xj6

Hello Forumers.

So, due to having the best fiance in the world, I am now the proud owner of a 1985 XJ6 series 3, in cobalt blue.

She needs some work, sure, but in essence a wonderful car that I hope to maintain and look after for many years. A real beauty, and also my dream car.

Onto trivial matters though. I have undertaken what I thought would be a simple task of finding some stainless steel wiper blades to replace the cracked and perished current ones. However, this led to a debate between stockist of whether this particular car takes 15" or 16" blades. Can anybody clear this up for me please?!

I don't know if it varies due to the make of the blades, and how/where they attach maybe?

What would also be great is if anyone knew where to get them in stainless steel please, which will hopefully lead me to know a good stockiest generally for old Jaguar parts.

Many thanks all & best wishes.
Robbie.

john_cook12 09-09-2014 03:40 PM

I don't have any info on stainless steel (as in silver colored exterior) wiper blades but I found 16" to be just a tad too long regardless of what any book says and I use these 15" blades. Nothing fancy but they work. They claim to last years, not months - I think that is an obvious stretch but they certainly have outlasted other generic brand fitting replacements I've used in the past. I doubt though that anything I have to say about our stores stateside will be of much use to you over there anyway. Someone else will chime in with something more on poin:

And congratulations on the new acquisition!

Fraser Mitchell 09-09-2014 04:07 PM

According to the SNG Barratt website, the matt chrome ones are NLA.
However a brief surf of the net, and Amazon came up trumps with black ones.

Jose 09-10-2014 01:37 AM

15" is the correct size.

why do you want ahiny stainless steel? the reason all car makers went with black arms and wipers was because of reflections from the sun and moon which blinded the drivers when the angles were "just right".

my '65 S type had the polished s.s. arms and blades, and as soon as I found black ones, I removed the s.s. blades, and even today the arms reflect the sun sending a blinding ray which burns my corneas :icon_doh:

themajor7 09-10-2014 04:18 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm glad to finally resolve that they are 15", not 16" as suggested by some part-finder websites.

One thing I forgot to ask was what clip mechanism they have? I am sadly away from the car at the moment but want to get a few bits on order for my return, so any confirmation there would be great, thank you.

The reason for SS ones as opposed to black is....well, I'm not sure really! Instinct just tells me that metal is always nicer than plastic, but I appreciate the point that the sun reflection could be an issue when it catches them right.

Saying that, it's not the most practical car I've ever owned anyway, but it damn sure is the prettiest.

Here's hoping that Bilt Hambe products slow the rust down...!

SNG Barratt USA 09-10-2014 10:42 AM

Have you checked our website online catalog? Link below with images of each type.

www.sngbarratt.com/CatalogueProducts.aspx?m=31&c=3148&s=16306&a=15398

Also if you want the 15 inch SS version these are available as part number 12441#

Jose 09-10-2014 03:30 PM

assuming you have the original arms, the clip attachment is called "Shepard's Hook". That is the standard clip attachment, but most wiper blades nowadays come with two or three sets of different clips. Black ones are metal too, very few wiper blades are made in plastic.

see link from SNG Barratt, they have them in SS.