XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know this isnt the place really but I need help....

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know this isnt the place really but I need help....

I have a 1982 XJ6 and yesterday I was driving down the road went to press on my brakes and they were hard to press so I looked at my gauges and realize the car is completely off. So I pull over and try cranking my car over and over with no luck. I know I have a full tank of gas, but I cant seem to figure out what happened. The car trys to start but just turns and turns. Im thinking it may be the fuel pump relay or something like that. Does anyone know where the relay for the fuel pump is located? OR what else it might be, I have not checked to see if the pump is working but it seems that it would not just completely stop delivering fuel out of no where. Anyways any help would be greatly appreciate, and sorry about posting in the wrong area but I never get answers from the XJ6 section.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  19.3 KB

moed to the general tech help section where hopefully you'll get better luck.
Failing that try asking some of the tech gurus such as Jagtechohio / Brutal / ken@britishparts for help

Good luck

Old 05-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

driftr, first, does your car have a mechanical pump or an electric pump? If you have an electric pump, I would recommend doing a fuel pressure test to verify that you have sufficient pressure (should be about 40 psi with the motor off, but the key in the RUN position). If you have a mechanical pump, then I would say to disconnect the fuel line and then cranking the car as you attempt to collect the gas in a jar. That will tell you if your fuel pump is working or not.

It is possible your coil crapped out, which would lead to a weak spark and give you that "I wanna start feeling". You can verify this by pulling the wire off of the distributor cap that is coming from the coil. From there, you can crank over the engine and see if you have decent spark there. If you do, then you can reinstall this wire and then pull off a plug wire and go retry there. If you have weak spark there, then you have a bad cap/rotor.

Hopefully this helps fix the issue. These are some easy checks that you can do. Another quick check that you can do is to spray a little bit of starting fluid down the intake and see if the car starts and runs for a few seconds that way. If the car does, then that confirms a fuel issue. If not, then you can be fairly sure that you have a good fuel system and are looking at a spark issue (most likely thing).