XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starting stumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 05:54 AM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts
Default starting stumper

It feels so good to cruise again, working out all the glitches and enjoying the smoothness of the jag.(I love my jag)
There is an issue with starting that is driving me crazy though. It will not start on the first try EVER. it will fire on about 1/2 a crank everytime on the second try. runs like brand new, no fluttering, stalling, runs like new.
Done a tune up as I've posted before along with firing order and distributor order, new fuel pump, cleaned tanks, new(to me) air flow meter. Might have done a couple others I haven't mentioned. so I'm thinking injectors, but it runs great.
any ideas?????

gonna eat you up

kiss my ***

best seat in the house

lets go

Old 05-08-2015, 06:12 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Does it have a fuel check valve on the fuel line anywhere, cheap to replace.
I had a failed one an my old Jeep and symptoms were the same as yours. When the car sat for a few hours the fuel drained back to the tank and left me with an empty rail. But after turning it over for a bit, it would fire straight away second time.

The following users liked this post:
amaezing (05-08-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 06:36 AM

[QUOTE=o1xjr;1223488]Does it have a fuel check valve on the fuel line anywhere, cheap to replace.

I will check it out when the sun comes up. That's a good idea that I didn't think of.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by amaezing
It will not start on the first try EVER. it will fire on about 1/2 a crank everytime on the second try.
On the first try how long are you letting it crank? If less than 3-4 seconds, try cranking it longer.

You might be trying to fix something that isn't broken....or at least not broken in an obvious way. The Ser III I owned for years, and several I've driven and worked on since then, never started all that easily. A bit more ranking than you'd expect before the engine fires....OR, stop cranking, hit the key, and Varoooom! Starts in the blink of an eye.

Never figured out why; gave up trying.

The depressurized fuel rail is worth investigating and can be easily checked. Put the gearshift to "D" and turn the key to 'start' for 5-10 seconds. In so doing you are operating the fuel pump. If the fuel rail has lost pressure this will recharge it. Now....does it start any differently? If it starts more easily then you likely have a leaking check valve. Replace it and see if the problem is solved.

But, even with a faulty check valve, a healthy fuel pump will recharge the rail in about 2-3 seconds.....so lack of rail pressure may be a factor but might not be *the* answer.

If that doesn't pan out then the 'could be' list is long. It's not likely that you'll actually discover a concrete explanation but with experimentation you might hit paydirt.

Some have reported that, when turning the key, a 2-3 second pause in the 'run' position before the final twist to 'start' gives the fuel injection electronics time to think, so to speak. Can't hurt to try....but don't get your hopes up.

Just recently a fellow reported faster starting when the vacuum advance regulator (under the intake manifold) was bypassed.

Cheers
DD

Jag7651 (05-10-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

[QUOTE=amaezing;1223493]
Originally Posted by o1xjr
Does it have a fuel check valve on the fuel line anywhere, cheap to replace.

I will check it out when the sun comes up. That's a good idea that I didn't think of.

The check valve is #5 in this illustration

Fuel Feed Pipes and Hoses-Trunk - Parts For Series III Saloon | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK

Cheers
DD

amaezing (05-08-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 07:13 AM

I've tried waiting in the run position for a couple minutes and a few seconds, no difference, but I haven't tried in drive.
If I bypass the advance regulator, wont that screw me up as i'm driving, I wont have the advance when I floor it will I?
I've read so many articles about them firing right up.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:48 PM

The depressurized fuel rail is worth investigating and can be easily checked. Put the gearshift to "D" and turn the key to 'start' for 5-10 seconds. In so doing you are operating the fuel pump. If the fuel rail has lost pressure this will recharge it. Now....does it start any differently? If it starts more easily then you likely have a leaking check valve. Replace it and see if the problem is solved.

Ok so it's been pouring rain and hail all day so I didn't get my chance but I have to change out my neutral safety switch before I try this.
I'll keep you all informed ASAP.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:23 AM

im sure its the vacuum advance.