XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering shudder

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 05:48 PM
Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts
Default steering shudder

my XJ6 series 2 1975, has a steering shudder on full right lock, the wheel shudders no steering wheel movement, all new steering arms etc, will stop if i back off the pressure very slightly, power steering pump system ect all good, doesn't do it on hard left lock......any thoughts? tom

Old 11-17-2016, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts

That sounds Very familiar, Tom. Only right turns; in town at low revs was the worst. It was like someone put a stick in bicycle spokes.

My rack was worn out internally so it wouldn't hold pressure on a right turn. These are no longer rebuilt so we had to fit a newer rack from a Series 3.

As you're in a Right Hand Drive region you shouldn't have most of the problems we did with the change over. It still won't exactly be a bolt-up affair as you'll also need a newer lower steering column, and after fitting that you'll find your steering wheel is 90 degrees off.

No problem with that though, simply remove the wheel and, after centering the rack, reattach it to the correct spline. Turn signals will not be noticeably effected.
(';')