Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Story of our 81 xj6 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/story-our-81-xj6-1453/)

04-27-2007 05:00 AM

Story of our 81 xj6

My dads bossGary purchased a 81 xj6 in Edmonton and had his buddy bring it down. He showed my mom and she loved it, classical car for just as a cruiser. So he got it for herbirthday as a gift, it needed to be polished but interior was in good shape.

It needed to be tuned up and so they where waiting for a guy from Edmonton to come downa nd work on it. While they were waiting it was sitting in the shop yard, and a big water haul truck backed into the top left fender. Dragged it a foot, really messing up the fender, If i can get pictures before they fix it.

The guys fixing it wanted to do it right, so they got the windows took out. The people before glued the rubber to the car, than the chrome trim to the rubber. Getting it off was a nasty job, they pre-warned us that the window might break. We purchased a used window from edmonton as a back up, that already had it's trim and what not for $125. The car is getting totally painted the right way, so it can last 10-15 years. It is cheaper to purchase a jaguar fender, but with all the serial codes matching will up the value. Though us being Northern the rocks do have some bubbly rust, so if anybody knows of some rockers in good shape for sale, pm me. Around the back dual exhausts theres a bit of rust around it, so where going to cut outside of it, so the holes are bigger. Oh and under the window molding it started rotting so they cut that out and replaced with some fresh ssteal. They are going to try and take as much chrome off as possible.

Originally planned to buy the car as it is.. now we are doing a partial restore... We get a cut on the paint job tho because he ran into our car, so we might get a bit of a cut, tho when its all done who pays for what is going 2 be sticky.

Any good rockers? pm me :)

I can try and get pictures if u'd like current and after.
Also any tips would be fabulous.

04-27-2007 05:12 AM

RE: Story of our 81 xj6

For the Rockers we where thinking sand blast them, than put rhino dirt guard along the bottom. Also considering hoisting it up ona car trailer, sand blasting the bottom putting a coat or dirt guard, and getting new wheel barrings.

Jose 04-27-2007 11:00 AM

buy the rockers new, no such thing as "good used rockers", by the time they have been cut/removed from another car, they will not be "good" but bad. Get them new and do it right. Also you should replace the rear panel with the exhaust holes, if it's rusted, why bother? Get new sheetmetal. The rust around the windshields is tipycal for these cars, it can be repaired, and you might consider removing the front and rear windshields to do it right.

04-27-2007 01:01 PM

yea both windows have been tookin out, was risky but had 2 be done. New rockers for an 81 are still available? Ill look into the sheetmetal for the rear.

Jose 04-27-2007 02:18 PM

that's the beauty of Jaguar, you can get most any parts for any year back to 1948. sheetmetal included.
try XK's Unlimited in California for the rocker panels. They have reproduction panels for a bunch of Jaguar models. Many other places too, so shop around...... here's their site: http://www.xks.com/

04-27-2007 04:39 PM

Thanks for the link.

You probaley dont know any Canadian Companies like this would you? That way my dad can possibly do it right through his work.

04-27-2007 04:40 PM

That may be the beauty but do you thinks 1 of the causes for old restored jaguars arent worth a lot? This 81 xj6 is a friggen beaut.

Jose 04-27-2007 09:30 PM

Choc: any old car that you restore, you end up spending thousands and as you get close to finishing the job, you can bet the car will be worth a couple hundred dollars!!! haaaa!! just kiddin'. Restoration is for fun and for you own pleasure and because you like that car, and because and because and because, but if you're hoping to make a profit, you might find someone who might like it and pay close to what you put into it, or you might get lucky and find someone who will pay you everything that you put into it. Who knows? Just enjoy the car, everybody loves Jaguars!

I know a couple good companies in Canada, I'll check my records to get their names.

Jose

04-28-2007 04:24 AM

ORIGINAL: Jose

Choc: any old car that you restore, you end up spending thousands and as you get close to finishing the job, you can bet the car will be worth a couple hundred dollars!!! haaaa!! just kiddin'. Restoration is for fun and for you own pleasure and because you like that car, and because and because and because, but if you're hoping to make a profit, you might find someone who might like it and pay close to what you put into it, or you might get lucky and find someone who will pay you everything that you put into it. Who knows? Just enjoy the car, everybody loves Jaguars!

I know a couple good companies in Canada, I'll check my records to get their names.

Jose

Much appreciated. Yea not trying to down play the situation but its hard to have fun restoring if your paying some1 else 2 do it lol. Though my mom is in real estate so advertising is always a plus, putting some decals on the back window perhaps.

When I think of classy car, this 1 definately defines it for me. Hopefully ill get to drive it a bit.