Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Stripping alloy wheels????????? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/stripping-alloy-wheels-165614/)

Rickxj6 07-08-2016 02:53 AM

Stripping alloy wheels?????????

1 Attachment(s)
Scored a set of XJS Starfish mags to through on my XJ6.
They are pretty grubby & will either need stripping & polishing or maybe re-painting.
Either way they will need to be stripped.
Anyone have an "easy" way to do it?

Doug 07-08-2016 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rickxj6 (Post 1494755)
Anyone have an "easy" way to do it?

I haven't.

I've stripped a set of Starfish and Lattice wheels...and started doing on a set of Pepperpots but gave up. Very hard work and quite time consuming in all cases. The original finish is very very robust...at least in terms of adhesion. I couldn't find any over-the-counter products that worked very well or very fast.

I would consider having the wheels professionally stripped or sand blasted if you can afford it.

Others will chime in

Cheers
DD

JagCad 07-08-2016 09:17 AM

I am just curious if a known enemy of painted surfaces might be recruited. Brake fluid.

Or, I've read of aircraft stripping compounds. Paint over alloy in each case. All aircraft stuff not cheap, though.

Carl

Rickxj6 07-08-2016 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by JagCad (Post 1494862)
I am just curious if a known enemy of painted surfaces might be recruited. Brake fluid.

Or, I've read of aircraft stripping compounds. Paint over alloy in each case. All aircraft stuff not cheap, though.

Carl

I thought of brake fluid too Carl. In saying that the newer stuff doesn't seem to have the same destructive powers as the older stuff.

No rush to do it but when i do i don't want it to take forever.

alynmurray 07-09-2016 08:30 AM

soda blasting.. Buy a do it yourself small unit - clean / blast the wheels and then sell the equipment ,..or rent one, and do the wheels.

The wheel surfaces are very durable because of the environment they have to live in.

There is no magic solution you can find at home that will work.

google the term "soda blasting wheels.."

Rickxj6 08-01-2016 04:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well i got the wheels pretty much how i want them. Gave them a reeeeeeally good clean & soften up with thinners & then painted them with Duplicolor metalcast "smoke". The car is almost just how i want it.

o1xjr 08-01-2016 04:23 AM

Looking good Rick, hoping to see it soon.

JagCad 08-01-2016 09:53 AM

Not exactly my taste, but, absolutely a definite repurpose of an older wheel in to today.

It could grow on me, though, and fast....

Paint can do so much....

Way back when my son acquired a little Four "Mazda" Courier truck.
The PO spent a lot of money lumping it with a "hot" 289 SBF. messed it and the rear end up. sold cheap!!

Son replaced the 'overwhelmed" rear axle assembly with one from a contempory Mustang. Too wide. Ingenuity fixed that. The long side cut down and two short side axles used. Perfect. Big wheels fit within the openings.

Older alloy wheels resprayed in Gold and black. Yellow original paint shined up good. A bit of black pin striping and it was contemporary yet different.

Carl