Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Stuff (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/stuff-166226/)

alynmurray 07-20-2016 09:53 AM

Stuff

I have been clearing out my shed of " too many things I will probably never need again". XJ6 brown over flow tank (s), interior door panels (rear doors) for VDP (doeskin),.. 2 sets of VDP interior door trim wood,... 2 sets of windscreen finishers - front and back windows
I am in Seattle,.. I am giving these items away for free - just pay shipping
send me a message if interested

JagCad 07-20-2016 02:43 PM

Tempting, but I am in off load mode after decades of on load mode.

The receiver hitch that bolts under the rear of mid 90's Grand Cherokees??? Very substantial iron. No local takers for cheap.
Mebbe Craigs list free.

Packed up a bunch of clothes I'll never wear again. One source declined. I guess I'll haul them to the thrift shop and donate there.

Morning after inside work.
1. Another weed whack session. The electric Hedge trimmer good for the taller stuff.

2. A session of chopping up old business records for recycle as paper.
Frees up some decent three ring binders, but what do I do with those?

3. New blade refuses to stay on the drive and idle wheels of my old band saw. Closing in on it, I think.

4. Brought an ancient AM table top radio out of the shed. Wood cabinet. I wonder if it works???

Too many tools spread about.... but, I'm hungry. Fried chicken, my style, embellished rice and spiced up canned "mule" corn.

Carl

alynmurray 07-20-2016 06:24 PM

Re old fashion radio,
Years ago there was a fellow in the real estate office who had been selling houses in an old established neighborhood.

He had accumulated old radios from the 20s 30s etc that he had come across, in the process of listing the home for sale. When he passed away his wife sold the whole collection for big money well over 100,000 I guess he had several rare ones - from a time when the radio was a valued family member.

alynmurray 07-21-2016 08:49 AM

To all those who expressed an interest in the stuff I was giving away - it all found a new home. Really did not expect the response I got. I have a lot of other Jag related stuff that will appear as I go through the shed/garage. Have been collecting for awhile.

littlelic69 07-22-2016 01:10 PM

I too have a stash of Jaguar parts, and it continues to grow. Who knows when they will be needed. My wife frequently complains about the location of the overflow from the garage - loft space above integral garage, loft above bedrooms, under the bed in number 2 bedroom, in my "computer" room, on the footpath leading to "her" gardening shed and of course where I may be tinkering - conservatory, utility......

Darrenmb 07-22-2016 02:48 PM

I know that if i exceed my alloted space, (the garage and shed) the missus will throw it away! If it does happen, its my own damned fault!! Lol
The only leeway i am given is 24 hours for anything that she finds in my pockets on laundry day, she removes the stuff and puts in on shelf, if its still there 24 hours later i apparently dont need it!!!

LnrB 07-22-2016 02:54 PM

Don't we all have such a stash?!
Not only of Jaguar parts around here, but my work truck parts (Dodge 300), husband's 240Z parts, Toyota Hilux pickup parts, 1940 Ford truck parts, Etc. He only recently passed on the original dual carbs for the Datsun roadster which I sold in 2007!

The Only vehicle we have yet to acquire spare parts for is the Adequate Vehicle, 2009 Hyundai Sonata. I might think it feels neglected but it has no soul so it has no feelings.
(';')

LnrB 07-22-2016 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Darrenmb (Post 1502413)
The only leeway i am given is 24 hours for anything that she finds in my pockets on laundry day, she removes the stuff and puts in on shelf, if its still there 24 hours later i apparently dont need it!!!

I warned husband in the beginning that I do Not check pockets. (My mother did that for Dad and my 4 brothers and it only encouraged them to be negligent and lazy about bringing stuff into the house.)

The second time I washed his wallet he believed me. Now he checks his own pockets.
(';')

anjum 07-22-2016 08:41 PM

I've got 3 small garages one largish shed (by uk standards), one smallish shed (by anyones standard) one bedroom wardrobe, the space above four fitted wardrobes and a little space in an attic (front rechromed bumper for the XJC) all full of tools, jag and Saab bits.

Still no place to work on restoring the XJC. Trying to build one now.

Sad case of collectivitus!!

LnrB 07-22-2016 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by anjum (Post 1502570)
I've got 3 small garages one largish shed (by uk standards), one smallish shed (by anyones standard) one bedroom wardrobe, the space above four fitted wardrobes and a little space in an attic (front rechromed bumper for the XJC) all full of tools, jag and Saab bits.

Still no place to work on restoring the XJC. Trying to build one now.

Sad case of collectivitus!!

I think it's actually called Hoarding. There's an Intervention program for that, ya know. :D
(';')

alynmurray 07-23-2016 08:57 AM

Happy to know that I am not the only person afflicted with this ailment.
It was sheer madness a few years back when I had an MGB, an Astro van, a Buick Electra, and the Jag.
Spare engines , transmissions , wheels, misc. bits and pieces forever..
Finally bit the bullet. sold MGB and stuff that went with it. Buick is future project. Astro van parts are readily available Pull a Part "stores" them for me, GM must have built millions of white Astro vans - seemingly unending supply of parts - cheap.
Now, the Jag with GM 350, helps cut down some of the inventory (as well as common sense - when will I ever need to replace the door wood trim? NEVER !!!) However the rebuilt items like a complete steering rack , ready to go, are the things I actually may need along with the original complete power antenna set ups for S3 cars , even then, I have 2 complete rebuilt spares. Got a complete (4) set of interior door panels from a VDP car with 65,000 miles on it, so these are like new - keepers....but will I ever need them ? On the other hand if I keep them long enough probably could get a grand for the set from a serious collector. Got boxes of stuff stashed away... hear myself saying as I open various boxes " ...forgot all about this..." Gauges dashboards switches we have all been there ...it seems.

JagCad 07-23-2016 09:36 AM

My old office has a set of four Kent Jag wheels, one has an ancient tire,
and one "bare" lattice wheel. Why? I've no answer. I've been working on clearing out old business records. Recycle can gets good use. Multiple file cabinets being restocked with car magazines. Why, don't ask.

Old office mini fridge??? To the shop for refreshing beverages. Not really, big kitchen fridge only steps away.

Window AC in old office? it works fine, sorta. compressor and cold OK.
Fan, kaput!! In the last days, I merely placed a small table top fan n front of it and enjoyed cool air even more. Worth relocating to the shop/garage? Not really, it is heavy!!!

Other stuff:

1. left over old Ford stuff. T to V8. fans, generators, starters, radiator....

2. Left over Jag to GM swap stuff. Big Michael owns the Jag starter.
When will he come down from Clear lake and get it???

3. Spare GM stuff that came at the lump time.

4. Old kids toy box and my old army days foot locker. Under the bench. Empty or with "hoarded" goodies?

5. Another foot locker in my lean to. Goodies, I think so...

6. Really old car books. 20's vintage.

7. Grey's anatomy, medical dictionary, legal books from my work years. Needed at the time. What is the "os calcis?" Example.
What does Res Gestae mean or quantum meritius?

8. Got an ancient Olympus D460 digital. Four bucks. The four AA batteries cost more?? Why? No answer. Little by little, it awakens.

Down loaded some literature. Dang, print is really small.

Carl

Doug 07-23-2016 10:03 AM

I've developed an aversion to keeping too much 'stuff'....automotive or otherwise.

First and foremost I don't have unlimited storage room and really, really dislike clutter..... so keeping too much stuff doesn't appeal.

Second, a few years ago my brother and I finally decided to 'do something' with mom and dad's old house. This was a major undertaking in several respects, one of the most time consuming and problematic being sorting through decades-long accumulation of 'stuff' and figuring out what to do with it. It was *such* a big task that I vowed to myself (and my kids) that I would never let so much stuff pile up.

Third, over the years I developed a pretty good sense of what Jaguar-related stuff is worth keeping and what isn't. There are three categories:

- parts worth keeping as spares to keep the car on the road without having to buy replacements. This is usually small, easy to store stuff.

- parts that I don't particularly want but it's likely someone will....and can be easily sold on Ebay or Craigslist.

- parts that I don't want, and likely nobody will want. These go right to the trash bin. No waiting a few years to decide...especially big stuff that takes up lots of space :)

However, I really love to save all manner of clips, widgets, fasteners...stuff you can hold in the palm of your hand. Nothing's worse that being 90% done with a repair and then being hung up because you lost or broke a door lock linkage clip, or a specific nylon eyelet, or a unique wiring connector....that sort of stuff. I've also saved a lot of Jag wiring. Very useful. Except for what's exposed to the weather or the engine bay, it's all pristine stuff.

Cheers
DD

JagCad 07-23-2016 10:59 AM

Doug:

I'm about in the stage that your Mom and Dad were when they passed.

Working on leaving less clutter for my son and daughter to quibble
over when my time comes. Not that far away, I suspect.

Sorta in control, except for the one side. Wow. But a lot of that "junk" was left by son when he left!!! Battered 40 Ford, hoods, fenders and running boards! Axle housing, transmission , etc.

Oh, a T engine and trans. Mine. In tough shape. A couple of radiators.
A battered A unit. A forties MOPAR that looks good.

Clobbered by an energetic black berry vine!! But, hey, a few on vanilla ice cream, yum. One of my tasks is to trim it way back....

Armor needed, lots of stickers. My welding gauntlets work well there.

Carlt

alynmurray 07-23-2016 03:00 PM

Carl.... Trying to help you a bit. In your post above you mentioned something about downloading something and the print being too small. If you are using Firefox as your browser (as I am ) go to upper right corner of the screen,..very top there are 3 horizontal bars (menu) click on it and you will see a box with a minus sign ,...a 100% sign and a plus sign ...click on the plus sign and it will magnify your screen to what ever size you want.
Keep those peepers working..without strain.

JagCad 07-24-2016 01:16 AM

Alyn:

Thanks. I use IE mostly. but, the box you mention is in a tool bar up top. I forgot about that handy feature. I've used it for viewing on the monitor. Never did to get larger print on paper, hmm. go9ing to try it...

Thanks.

Carl

anjum 07-24-2016 07:51 PM

Guilty!!
I also like tools!

See http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/t...-4#post-843773

Darrenmb 07-25-2016 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by LnrB (Post 1502433)
I warned husband in the beginning that I do Not check pockets. (My mother did that for Dad and my 4 brothers and it only encouraged them to be negligent and lazy about bringing stuff into the house.)

The second time I washed his wallet he believed me. Now he checks his own pockets.
(';')

Oh its not wallets, it usually screws, half of a pencil, a socket or two, maybe an occasional screwdriver! (Theres no telling what ends up in my pockets, i work in construction)

And in my defense, 99 percent of the time, i do empty my pockets, but there's always that 1 percent that will inevitably destroy something of hers in the washer, so she knows to check them just as a precaution.. :)

JagCad 07-25-2016 12:00 PM

Yup, I've done better lately. Coins, pens and even once
one of my hearing aids. It survived, yahoo.

1, Voice mail/ answering machine dilemma resolved. My kids should be
pleased.

2. Oh, oh, added "stuff". Four bucks for an ancient Olympus digital camera. Similar to my first, but one generation or so newer. Got it going. It did not like my cheap generic four AA's. Lithium AA's got it's
attention. Slick old but far more camera than I am a photographer!!!

3. Son dropped by!!! Concern with my failure to answer phone. And brought my E Bay soured MGB 7" head lamp buckets and retaining
rings. A bit different from the "free" Jaguar buckets from a Jag-lover
guy. I've a spare pair of 5 1/4' bezels to grind to fit. Still thinking that one out.

4. Band saw blade replacement almost there. A bit more "file to fit" to do.

5. Yards to mow, weeds to whack, Tree to prune, a lot. Big trunks.

6. Durn, I saw a TV show yesterday, "Homestead Rescue" on HGTV.
A bit over dramatic. They needed a sturdy post. Raw material, a Locust, native to the area. Very choice. Ugh, I reduced a Locust big branch to recycle. Had I known, I could've saved a natural Bug/rot resistant post!!!

Starting to think of lunch. Sausage, potatoes and veggies!! Hot in a
bit. Micro gets the call !!!

Carl

o1xjr 08-01-2016 01:03 AM

My jag parts stock is growing.
Two boxes of seires 1 gauges,head lights, tail lights and indicators. Got about 6 sets of S1 tail light and indicator lenses.(parts that are scarce if you want good ones)
Two BW66 trans, a front subframe.
One set of S1 rims and tyres.

All take up space, but things that will be used by someone if not myself.

Generally if stuff has been stored in my garage for 2 years without being used it goes to make room for new (old) stuff. Having a purge is good every now and then, but always seem to need something not too long after I dispose of it.