XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension help (84 s3)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 07:25 PM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Suspension help (84 s3)

so seeing as a NHRA legal cage is in the works and a 427 big block as well, im wondering if any changes can be made to the front/rear suspension?

ive heard about a rear xjs subframe fitting in the s3 xj6 but has anyone done/seen this? also what about the front? any way to get rid of the HUGE bore hubs for something lighter/better??

Old 01-20-2015, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by sunchip
so seeing as a NHRA legal cage is in the works and a 427 big block as well, im wondering if any changes can be made to the front/rear suspension?

ive heard about a rear xjs subframe fitting in the s3 xj6 but has anyone done/seen this? also what about the front? any way to get rid of the HUGE bore hubs for something lighter/better??
I have installed an XJS convertible rear IRS with the vented outboard brakes. It's a bolt in if you can find one. Makes a huge difference in braking and allows much more room for larger exhaust pipes. The later XJS's have an X brace. The brace is a simple X that bolts to post bosses that were welded on the chassis to stiffen the rear unibody frame rails. Your car wont have them so you will have to fabricate. An engineer who designed then has posted on XJS forums that the difference was significant.

With all that power the rear IRS will tend to roll. Myself and others have posted pictures of devices that work to stabilize the IRS. Search for IRS roll, see some of my posts on the subject and review the user knows as lickahotskillet for some more info.

There are harder urethane bushings front and rear that can replace the soft rubber OEM units. I consider urethane rack and upper control arms bushing as a must do.

As for more for the front hubs review my post named "major brake upgrade in the works" It details installing larger and lighter wilwood alu hat rotors and lightweight billet calipers.

As far as I can tell... the early series 2 XJ's used the same hub pin as the mustang so wilwood mustang alu hubs can be retrofitted. Series 3 use a larger pin. I started researching this but never actually did it because I installed ABS using XJS front hubs and the wilwood mustang hubs dont have tone wheels for ABS so I couldn't use them.

If the bore size is an issue there is enough material to turn it down on a lathe. I have turned both front and rear hubs down on a lathe to the standard chevy hub size.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:10 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Axle | Denis Welch Motorsport

Old 01-21-2015, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Default cracked hub carrier

You may want to review this thread. There is a post in there about a cracked rear hub carrier. I had heard they crack under power form the Cobra guys but didn't think it would pertain to me. One day I was changing something else the rear and noticed a rather large crack. XJ40 and facelift XJS with outboard brakes have reinforced rear hub carriers. With a big block and sticky tires you are going to need it. If you lose a rear hub under power you may be testing the welds on that cage.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...iff-hp-114358/

Old 01-21-2015, 07:33 PM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

ok so i found an xjs in the wreckers and i want to know the fastest way to get it out

ie im bringing bolt cutters tin snips and a portable angle grinder with cut off wheel where do i cut to avoid damaging what i need

Old 01-21-2015, 07:48 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

An oxy/acetylene torch and a Bosch cordless sawzall are, always, good friends.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

ok so i found an xjs in the wreckers and i want to know the fastest way to get it out

ie im bringing bolt cutters tin snips and a portable angle grinder with cut off wheel where do i cut to avoid damaging what i need
Safety first. Be sure to work safe, jack stands, a quality jack,dolly and a few well placed wheels roughly the thickness if your head just in case.

I think a sawzall with a metal blade is better for a rough removal.

What year XJS?

Disconnect the drive shaft, you need 2 9/16 tools. Unbolt or saw off the trailing arms. I'd try to save them...but the big end can be tricky to break free. Saw through the 4 rubber mounts and exhaust. disconnect the hand brake, use a needle nose to remove the e clip and pull out the pin. Lowe on to HF dolley and it's out!

Old 01-24-2015, 04:00 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Saw through the exhaust pipes as well.