Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   tachometer problem after distributor change? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/tachometer-problem-after-distributor-change-5296/)

cshowone 04-02-2008 08:57 PM

tachometer problem after distributor change?

I have a 1975 XJ6C , the electronic style distributor was bad and was replaced with one from a 1967 xke that has points. The tachometer does not work . Is there a difference in tachometers for points than for electronic . If so , can it be changed , or do I have to buy different one ?

JagtechOhio 04-02-2008 10:49 PM

RE: tachometer problem after distributor change?

Greetings,

I'd have to pull out some old diagrams, but I think the tach feed wire is white with blue and slate tracers. Clean up the wires to the module you removed, and see if you can find it. Make sure the likely candidate has no power going to it with the key on. The right one will make the tach work when you attach it to the negative terminal of the ignition coil.

Harlen19 03-09-2015 11:48 AM

Here is a challenge: I am trying to use a Jaguar XJ6 series 1 tach (because it is 6 cyl) to replace the mechanical tach on my Triumph GT6 (hey who let me in here!).
the tach I have has two electrical contacts on the back; one spade terminal and one bullet terminal. Hooking either one to the negative terminal of the distributor, the other to ground, doesnt work. Is there a sending unit thats supposed to go with this? The tach is a smiths RVC2602. Harlen19

dlpweb 12-22-2019 07:45 PM

OK, idiot question for the night

A member suggested looking up several old threads about "relocating amp"

I've tried every combination of words, spaces, commas & plus signs and apparently am too stupid to figure out how to search.

Anyone feeling charitable & wanna explain?

LnrB 12-22-2019 08:00 PM

I'm thinking that's not a dumb question at all. I've never heard of such a component in an Xj6 Series car.
(';')

Doug 12-22-2019 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by dlpweb (Post 2170178)
OK, idiot question for the night

A member suggested looking up several old threads about "relocating amp"

I've tried every combination of words, spaces, commas & plus signs and apparently am too stupid to figure out how to search.

Anyone feeling charitable & wanna explain?

Ignition amp?

Where do you want to move it, and why? Move it to a cooler location, presumably?

What year and engine?

Cheers
DD

GGG 12-23-2019 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by dlpweb (Post 2170178)
OK, idiot question for the night .....

I see all your other posts are in the E-Type forum. Is this question related to another Jaguar you have or posted in the wrong forum?

Graham

dlpweb 12-25-2019 10:39 PM

oops

wrong forum

Thanks Graham for the heads up