Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Talk me down! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/talk-me-down-164202/)

JigJag 06-10-2016 04:58 PM

Talk me down!

My SO found an 86 XJS in tomato red/black. Really likes it and wants to go take a look. Price is right. Cheep even.

So, what's a realistic value for this vehicle? 66K miles, V12 auto coupe. Very clean body ( from pics anyway ) complete, un-molested. One owner. Don't know maint. history yet.

Seller inherited. Stored, It ran until recently. Now discounted on a no-start condition. Have to visit it to judge the cause. Turns over but no start.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...72109826a7.jpg

I'll wait to see If one of the moderators wants to move this to the XJS forum. Force of habit posting here in I, II, III territory.

Doug 06-10-2016 07:46 PM

A no-start V12 is a risky proposition. You really want to hear it run so you can listen for the tell-tale clatter of dropped valve seats. The no-start condition itself could be fairly inexpensive/minor.

Most used XJSs need a slew of repairs and/or catch-up on deferred services

How cheap is "cheap"?

$500 ?

$1000 ?

Cheers
DD

JigJag 06-11-2016 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 1479008)
A no-start V12 is a risky proposition. You really want to hear it run so you can listen for the tell-tale clatter of dropped valve seats. The no-start condition itself could be fairly inexpensive/minor.

Most used XJSs need a slew of repairs and/or catch-up on deferred services

How cheap is "cheap"?

$500 ?

$1000 ?

Cheers
DD

$1000. Seller offered to drop that $100 already given a two hour drive and a tow back if not driveable. I'm considering a day trip with tools. If I can get it going and drive it home I'm far more inclined. Know a tow truck owner but just that fuel cost is significant.

Further info: A/C not cold. Last running was normal and two weeks ago.

JagCad 06-11-2016 08:11 AM

Simple. SO wants it. Happy wife happy life. Applies to SO's as well.

A compression test is probably not easy, but, short of starting, it would detect a dropped valve or other serious mechanical malady.

No fire under the bonnet, good indication. If the AC were good, it would cost more...

Interior? Rust? Ratty under bonnet wires? "

900 ? if it doesn't fire up after moderate effort, I expect 7 will take it.
sure seems to be a "more than willing seller".

Carl .

JigJag 06-24-2016 04:46 PM

Following up on this. We're going tomorrow to look at this Jag. Taking all my tools, fluke meter, compression gauge, fuel pressure gauge spare plugs, ether, jumper cables, and air compressor.

Obviously getting it started is my goal but if I cant then at least I want to ensure that the cause is not expensive. I'll check all the suggestions above. Anything else I should be sure to bring with me or test?

yarpos 06-24-2016 06:14 PM

You guys are lucky. If I could buy an unrusty rolling XJS for $1000 I would be falling over myself to stuff money in his pockets. Will interesting to hear what you find.

sov211 06-24-2016 06:42 PM

Likely no-start issues in the V12:
1. Faulty GM module in the ignition amplifier.
2. Faulty fuel pump relay or "main" relay which powers the fuel pump relay
3. A rodent-damaged wire in the V of the engine (pink); this wire goes to the distributor pick-up and rats LOVE it.

JigJag 06-27-2016 12:34 PM

Update

Well, you all failed at talking me out of this one. ;)

I was not able to get this XJS to start. But I bought it anyway. Perhaps a bit foolish, but I couldn't just walk away from this one.

Car is a one owner, $49K 1986 purchase from dealer. 66043mi. I got the paperwork and all manuals, cassette, cassette cleaner etc. that originally came with the car.

Body is 99.9% rust free ( the rear center bumper blade has a rash above the mounting plate. This was not properly coated). Bottom of the car is clean and scuff free. Body has three door pings and a shopping cart dent on leading edge of the hood. Otherwise flawless panels. Aerial grommet missing, it's now rubber dust. Under the carpets is rust free as well.

Engine is dusty, dry and complete. Maintenance records missing, PO says oil every 3000mi. since purchase at non-dealer shop. Recent ( 47mi ago ) 60,000mi oil change sticker in window agrees. Motor turns easily, sounds smooth and pulses from exhaust are consistent and strong.

Interior has failed seams on front seats and reasonable wear there. Rear seat is flawless with bits of the original plastic wrap sticking out at the base. Dash has one varnish crack running horizontally, one vertical. Original cassette deck still in place and fully functional. Headliner is perfect.

The car has fuel pressure, strong spark, compression of some sort ( undetermined so far ) but it does not sound like the injectors are firing. 2-3 on left bank may be, I don't hear any ticking on right bank. Noid lights will show for sure soon as I get them.

The engine fired here and there while testing. Never more than a hit or several hits. But it will. It will!

I'll be doing a thread on this car over in the XJS sub-forum.

Pic just after arrival. Unwashed and pretty dirty. I've put more pictures up online if youre interested. Click here to see them XJS - Album on Imgur

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...28a9df9338.jpg

JagCad 06-27-2016 01:51 PM

We all delight in pictures.

Some firing indicates definite hope!!!

When you get to it, remove the hides and a good upholstery place can resew in better thread.

Cleaning things up improves the outlook!!!

Carl

Tar 06-27-2016 07:29 PM

That is a beautiful car, no doubt about it. Not counting that thing under the hood ;) Sounds like it will be a pleasure to work on. Congratulations.

Fraser Mitchell 07-03-2016 04:27 PM

Photo shows a very good-looking car, (no fading of the paint, chrome in excellent condition), you may well have got yourself a bargain there. Reason I say 'may', is the non-start. Only when you get the engine running will you have confirmation.
I would love to own and run a V12 before I curl my toes up, but the price of fuel here in the UK makes it a remote dream, I'm afraid.

Rivguy 07-03-2016 11:01 PM

Good Luck! I love the color.

Sarc 07-05-2016 08:49 AM

It's going to run......... What a great car, congratulations. I'll be following your build/debug thread for sure