Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Which Tank of Gas (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/tank-gas-18919/)

N3FOL 06-17-2009 12:41 PM

Which Tank of Gas

With the tank switch in the IN position, which tank am I actually using? Left or Right? I have an 84 Jaguar XJ6.

Walter1982 06-17-2009 04:33 PM

on my 82 when the button is in I am using the driver side tank. with the button out, the passenger side.

N3FOL 06-18-2009 09:45 AM

Tank

Good info. I think I'll be able to remember this one :icon_no:.

Let me see...IN is left tank. OUT is right tank.

CatLovr 06-18-2009 10:14 AM

My 1980 4.2 XJ6 didn't have either sending unit working when I bought it. So, upon advice from a longtime jag mechanic, a valve conversion was installed that links the two tanks together and only one sending unit is needed. I leave the button out (yes, out WAS for the right hand tank) and ignore it. Cost for valve and install was about $400. Just something to consider down the road.

Keith 06-22-2009 09:49 PM

With the switch out, you should see the letter "R" on the drivers side of the switch, indicating Right side. If not, it may be worn away.

freexjv12 07-04-2009 09:49 PM

hi fellas
i'm new here and to the whole jag thing, just been given a 1984 xj v12 5.4 its in fair to good nick. The present owner had fitted a new battery for me and had the thing fired up on two consecutive days and drove it about his garden. I went to pick it up and it fired, ran and as soon as the throttle was pressed gave up. I put fresh fuel in the right tank it took only 10ltr to fill. its showing as empty on dial. Is the right tank the reserve and smaller than the left i have the selector switch in the out position with the r showing. We flattened the battery trying to restart once it had stopped. Does the dial give an overall picture of the fuel situation or does it also switch between tanks when operating changeover switch.

Any help would be great.

Rich

Doug 07-04-2009 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by freexjv12 (Post 123860)
hi fellas
i'm new here and to the whole jag thing, just been given a 1984 xj v12 5.4 its in fair to good nick. The present owner had fitted a new battery for me and had the thing fired up on two consecutive days and drove it about his garden. I went to pick it up and it fired, ran and as soon as the throttle was pressed gave up. I put fresh fuel in the right tank it took only 10ltr to fill. its showing as empty on dial. Is the right tank the reserve and smaller than the left i have the selector switch in the out position with the r showing. We flattened the battery trying to restart once it had stopped. Does the dial give an overall picture of the fuel situation or does it also switch between tanks when operating changeover switch.

Any help would be great.

Rich

Both tanks are the same size, about 12 US gallons.

Each tank has its own fuel level sending unit. The changeover switch is dual function: switches which tank fuel is draw from and also switches the sending unit

Rusty tanks are a common problem on these cars, especially if they have sat unused for some time. My gut feeling is thet you have a rust-in-the-fuel problem but of course that's only one possibilty. Removing the fuel filter and emptying the contents into a clean container might reveal important clues

Cheers
DD

freexjv12 07-05-2009 08:50 AM

Thanks Doug.

Next question is where is fuel filter, there seems to be heaps of gear under the hood. LOL

Seems like neither sender units are working perhaps or would ten ltrs not even put a dent in the volume of the tank?

N3FOL 07-06-2009 11:22 AM

Fuel Filter

Hello Freexjv12, I am not sure on your XJ12...but I think on my XJ6 '84, the fuel filter is located in the trunk area.

N3FOL 07-06-2009 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 121830)
With the switch out, you should see the letter "R" on the drivers side of the switch, indicating Right side. If not, it may be worn away.

Now I think I'll be able to remember this orientation. Switch 'OUT' - right side tank. Switch 'IN' - left side tank. :icon_hyper:

freexjv12 07-06-2009 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by N3FOL (Post 124149)
Hello Freexjv12, I am not sure on your XJ12...but I think on my XJ6 '84, the fuel filter is located in the trunk area.

So i pressume it could be quite messy taking it out? I did notice in the trunk, its actually a "boot" you know lol, there seemed to be a fuel pump, or was this the filter i have seen. I was trying to drive her home but think its going to be a tow job, i dont want to start pulling her to bits on the other persons drive.

Do you know if the fuel in the tank will have degraded, it has been sitting for about 18 months. It has ran a few times mind and had ran really well until i came to pick her up DOH!!! :icon_hyper:

Have you got any photos up of your xj6??

Cheers

Rich