XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying a series III...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a series III...

Hi all. I have decided it is time to part with my beloved S-Type...
Upon searching for new cheap transportation, I came across a 1991 BMW 318is. I have had two BMWs in the past (85 and and 87) and loved them. Small, nimble, PLENTY of aftermarket parts. BUT, I have since come across a decent looking 84 XJ6 for $1000 with lots of potential. I LOVE that body style, and have wanted one for a long time now. However, I see a return upon selling the BMW, and selling my S-Type... not so easy. Mainly I'm looking to have you guys talk me into the Jag lol. However, I would like to know what kind of things are available for this car, things I should look for, etc. I really want to lower it, and maybe do exhaust and wheels. Performance? Maybe. But for now, I want something I can drive every day with minimal issues. I would like to keep the car for many years, but in the event I decide to sell, is it worth the investment? You guys are always such a huge help, thank you!

Old 06-05-2013, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,748 Likes on 7,099 Posts

In one of the sticky threads at the top of this section is a buyers guide that you might be interested in.

Ser III are great cars but nowadays it's a rare exception to find one that doesn't need a fair bit of work. Of course, in the $1000 price range that's to be expected with any car. Watch out for rust.

Not too much out there as far as aftermarket performance/enthusiasts stuff ....at least compared to BMW, etc....but what isn't available to buy we dream up on our own

AJ6 Engineering has some rather expensive (but effective) engine/performance upgrades. There are kits to swap in modern-ish transmissions. You can get Koni/Bilstein shocks and larger anti-roll bars

Cheers
DD

Old 06-06-2013, 12:40 AM

I looked at the buyers guide, thank you for pointing that out!

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/3850463465.html

Here's the link to the add. It doesn't look bad. I would have to drive it about 100 miles home. The plus is, I spent a few years in a Jaguar shop as a mechanic, and I have access to some parts. Although my knowledge of the III is limited. I will also have about a grand to throw into it off hand

Old 06-06-2013, 07:03 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking

When I bought my 87 XJ6 I was trying hard to find a part. I live in Washington state and I found a Jaguar / Land Rover recycler in Seattle. (aka parts parts and more parts)
They are incredibly reasonable on prices, and they have virtualy everything you can dream of. They ship either fedex or ups, I can't remember as I just drive down there.

Here's their contact info.

British Auto Center, LTD
2938 SW Avalon Way
Seattle WA 98126
206-935-0872

Old 06-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Living in Kentucky should make part availability pretty much a non-issue, especially if you can wait 1-2 days to get something shipped to you if you can't find it locally. Series III parts are incredibly reasonable and .
While most don't generally use their Series III as their sole daily driver, I have been doing so now for 5 years. I have been stranded before. I do know a tow truck number but I also have been able to continue going to school and work regularly using only this series of vehicle, despite having no previous car repair/maintenance experience. You sound more than mechanically inclined enough to purchase this car and make it a nice looking specimen.

Price is right as long as it isn't a rust bucket and is at least drivable enough to make it the 100 miles trip - that sounds like a great first test - be sure to carry a phone, check for the jack and spare, and test the brakes at speed before you bring it home!

As will be mentioned in any number of threads here on specific issues, parts suppliers are plentiful both online and in person (Welsch, EverydayXJ, JagBits, etc.). There's someone on my local craigslist selling a lot of EVERY single part for the jaguar except for the panels, engine, transmission, and glass in a big lot for $150. You will be pleasantly surprised by what you find.

As for lowering the car, you are a brave soul - with a clearance of only 6" to the ground, I'd be afraid to be any lower than I already am (and I'd fear for the paint job on the underside of my front and rear as well!)

Old 06-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

Good to see another KY member here! Let me know if I can be of any assisstance, I'm always down to help.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by john_cook12
...I have been stranded before...
I have too, but not in my S-Type! Its so reliable it bothers me. I hardly have to work on it. I don't want to wrench on it constantly, but I do like to tinker. It's the only car I have ever had I didn't have to do anything but oil changes every 5k. I have a 74 Plymouth Duster that was my first car, I drove it every day for three years. Got stranded more times than I can count lol. I love taking odd ball cars and making something cool and unique out of it, if the body on that Jag is decent, I think it may be worth the investment. I'm not too worried about cosmetics at this point, I just want a good running car with a solid body to start with. I think it will be fun!

Does anyone make body kits or anything of the sort for these cars? I have seen pictures, but I wonder if its something someone just fabed up. Also, any suggestions on wheel and tire sizes without lowering it? I like the long low look of four doors, and this car already sits pretty low

Old 06-06-2013, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by 310jag
Good to see another KY member here! Let me know if I can be of any assisstance, I'm always down to help.
Hey Wes! I used to work with you at Jaguar! I should be up there sometime on Monday. I was thinking about dropping by

Old 06-06-2013, 01:24 PM

Talked to the guy today. He says he bought it from his brother about 6 months ago and hasn't tried to start it since. Its been garage kept most of its life, and the only rust on it is a bubble at the bottom of the back window and the interior is in decent shape for its age. It has a rebuilt trans in it as well. According to his brother, it needs exhaust work. No big deal as long as it is the tubing and not the valves. I was planning on a new exhaust system anyways (cherry bombs?!) Looks like I will be bringing a battery and some fuel stabilizer with me!

Old 06-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Go for it!!! My 83 Wuzza six is so reliable, it is almost boring!!!!

Carl

Old 06-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

yeah I say go get it! and post some pics when you do!

Old 06-07-2013, 12:01 PM

Going to look at it Monday! Hopefully the S-Type is sold on Monday as well. Had a few decent offers on it already. I'm excited, I have wanted a Series III for a long time. Its the car that got me into Jags in the first place

Old 06-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Cool

me as well, you just cant deny... the series III is a smooooth car. Iconic and recognizable, a car that will ALWAYS be in style, no matter what trends come and go.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

What the hell am I doing on the Series III boards?? Sounds like a great adventure! Good luck, take pics, and keep us posted!

Old 06-10-2013, 05:02 PM

Well it seems to have been a bust. Really nice car, 92k on the clock, but we hooked a battery up and no crank. Acted like the battery was dead. Tried jumping, cleaning cables, still nothing. I can get the car delivered to my house for $600 out the door lol. I would really want something running though

Old 06-11-2013, 03:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Delivered to your house for $600 total? or $1600 out the door?

Old 06-11-2013, 05:20 PM

well shoot if you can get it for $600 then get it! you could easily turn right around and sell it and make yourself some cash if you decide you don't want to keep it and worry about getting it running, plus you might luck out, it could be something really simple keeping it from stating. the starter wire could have popped loose, there is also a little lever on the negative battery cable that pushes down and turns to cut off the battery when you're working on electrical systems, or when the car is in storage, that could have been turned off, it could be something like this in which case you'd be getting a screaming deal. plus these cars are easy to work on anyways, and its all part of the fun (most of the time haha) I still say get it. the body and interior are good right? those are the repairs you DON'T want to have to do. if its clean buy the car!