Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Thinking of buying my husband a 1986 XJ6 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/thinking-buying-my-husband-1986-xj6-448/)

08-09-2006 05:55 PM

Thinking of buying my husband a 1986 XJ6

This is my first post here (I'm pretty active on the Volvo forums), so bear with me.

My husband and I have three cars -- mine is a Volvo 850 Turbo, his is an Audi V8 Quattro, and we have a Saab 900S as a "toy." My husband's dream, however, is to own another car -- a mid-'80s XJ6. He adores them. I think they're pretty gorgeous myself. He's always wanted one, and we haven't ever found one that either we could afford or that we thought was a good enough deal.

My husband does ALL the work on our cars, and he primarily wants an XJ6 for the experience of restoring it, as he has done with our Saab, and enjoying it to the fullest. We don't mind buying one that's in "needs TLC" condition. Recently, though, I found someone who has what I think could be a great Christmas gift for my husband, and I wanted to get the opinions of some people who know these cars pretty well before I do anything about it.

The car in question is a 1986 XJ6. I don't know the mileage yet (I am still waiting for this guy to get back to me with a few things). He says it runs rough and needs a catalytic converter and a general tune-up but that the engine and transmission are in good shape. He says the body is in good shape with no rust but needs paint and the tires are good.

I want to do this as a complete surprise if I do it. So, I have to ask this guy a lot of questions and make sure I know exactly what I'm buying. I know a fair amount about cars; I have spent enough time under the hoods of our Volvo, Audi, and Saab to learn plenty. Because I am more familiar with Swedish and German cars, I thought I'd post here and ask people who really know these cars what are good questions to ask. What should I look out for? What can I expect? Keep in mind that I am buying this as a restore job. My husband isn't afraid to get in there and do anything to it -- he can handle anything. I just want to know what all I should take into account about this model in particular and what, if any, common problems they have that I can look for. My husband isn't going to expect me to show up with a showroom-condition car. He's just going to be beside himself with excitement to have his dream car in the garage awaiting restoration.

So, any 1986 XJ6 advice you guys have would be really appreciated. I think this one is a really good deal if I can work it out!

08-10-2006 11:56 PM

RE: Thinking of buying my husband a 1986 XJ6

Hi Rachel,

I have an 87 XJ-6 that has been in my family since 1990. It looks great, but needs some mechanical attention, so I know where you're coming from. I also have a 911, and a 900 SPG turbo (maybe we can talk SAAB's sometime - I need some help!)

Mileage doesn't seem to affect these cars, but neglect certainly does. While they were expensive cars in their day, the last of the Series III cars were by far the most reliable (1985-1987) but they have complex suspension, braking, and electricals that don't fare well with age or lack of maintanence.

The first question I have is what is your budget for acquisition of the car? The rough running may be much more than six plugs and cap/rotor swap. Next is what is the time frame for the surprise? Depending on the time allowed, and available budget, it would be wise to not purchase the first car you look at. These cars are still plentiful in most major metros, and I would recommend checking a few out and doing some internet research on what parts prices look like (not much more than SAAB parts, really ;-)

things to look for on the inspection/test drive:

Make sure the A/C is operable. When you move the temp control, you should hear servos behind the dash adjusting to the change in temperature. if you don't, move on. there is way too much to sort out if that system isn't working.

Test all the electrics - windows, fuel tank changeover, all gauges working, etc

The car should pull strongly to redline from a standstill, and no vibrations should be felt during acceleration. Braking should be very good with no pulling.

By driving three or four cars, you'll get an idea of what to look for. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Jim

86JAGVP 04-26-2012 01:25 AM

There are a lot of good things about the 86 XJ6. They look great, and handle great. I would suggest holding out for a Vanden Plas model. You can tell the difference by the reading lights in the back seat, and the power mirrors. There are a lot of ratty specimens out there. I would avoid these, as well as body shop restorations.
Also, if the engine sounds like a sewing machine, that's not good.

Fraser Mitchell 04-26-2012 06:18 AM

Note the age of the original post - 2006

sneal46 04-26-2012 10:07 AM

Haha.... I was about to post until I read the date. Great catch!

Wonder how that scenario turned out.

whydahdvr 05-04-2012 09:28 AM

I inherited a 1986 Vanden Plas while I was deployed overseas and am starting to get into figuring out all the that has gone wrong with it. It has definitely sat for some time and the maintenance done on it was average or less so it will need some work. I'm planning to do as much as I can myself but big problems I'll look for a reliable mechanic to service.
One issue is the A/C and from earlier posts to this thread I get the impression that's a real challenge. What are some good resources to look for guidance? What are the typical problems associated with the A/C on these cars? The fan only blows hot air, not even ambient air.
Thanks.

mozza 06-15-2012 02:28 AM

Lucky Hubby :-)

Jose 06-21-2012 04:21 AM

they're probably separated by now...

Translator 06-21-2012 04:31 AM

Good lord, a 6 year old thread!

To whydahdvr, check out the FAQ sections and also follow the FREE download links in my signature.